Hannegan Pass & (Almost) Peak July 19 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 10:31 AM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Love the outdoors. Trying new things. And at night......BOGGLE!
Default Hannegan Pass & (Almost) Peak July 19

Here are a few pics from our hike at Baker yesterday. The original plan was to just hike to the pass..but once we got there and I read that it was only another mile, I thought we should try to get to the peak.

The Peak Trail was the best part of this hike...The views were stunning the whole way and if I wasn't such a candy ass, we could have gone to the peak I guess..but crossing the few snow fields that we did was scary enough for me because they were really mushy and slick and we were sharing one set of poles. I could not shake the mostly irrational thoughts of me or Cali misstepping and sliding off into eternity.

The only other person we saw on that trail was a guy coming down from the peak using an ice axe to steady himself. For most people, these snow crossings would be nothing, but for me...that's a different story...so, we were content with stopping where we did and I had just enough excitement on the trail to make me feel like I was a big adventurer thank you very little.

We were on the trail for 7 hrs exactly! Whew!!! Our feet were aching and my knees could have used replacements..luckily that feeling didn't last long!

Trail needs clearing in a few spots

Hannegan Pass Camp

Cali had a wipe out

Only 1 mile to go from here!

This made me nervous

Where we stopped to relax & turn around

See the Mt Ruth climber people?

The switchbacks were really narrow in spots...again..something that makes me freak out sometimes and I wouldn't look up or down in spots.

nice boobs

This is one point that I felt I'd slide away forever..I know, I know...it was a comedy act (me getting up that hill)

This was a great trail to see waterfalls everywhere and it was also fun to watch the progress of the climber/hikers as they were going along the ridge of Ruth Mt.

Sore Foot Victory Dance

Chaos, Panic & Disorder----my work here is done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 12:23 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: running, hiking, blading, camping, skiing, outdoors, spending time with kids, big hockey and baseball fan, board and card games

so thats what i missed out on! looks so nice up there, i'm surprised u didn't meet more people..

7 hours, thats quite the hike..and here i was, feet all sore from walking around the Fusion Festival in Surrey for a couple hours! hehe!!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 12:43 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Calixtomoon

Fabulous trip, a lot of natural beauty enjoyed by you, your companion, and dog. You did well, picking the destination and the day. Beautiful weather made a lot of scenic pictures.

I enjoyed your TR, great to view at lunchtime break.

K
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Roothie! We talked about you as we ate lunch while looking at Ruth Mt!!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 03:27 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Hiking, cycling, soccer,Tae Kwon-Do

Nice Hike, your pictures look great. Baker area is always a great place to hike. I'll be heading down there for a few hikes at the end of the summer. Railroad Grade is on my redo list.
Even if you didn't make it to the peak looks like you still managed to obtain some awesome views, and have a great hike too.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 05:15 PM
Scaling New Heights

Interest: Hiking, backpacking, reading, traveling, learning, spending too much time on the internet.

Looks great! Thanks for the pics.

I'm thinking of backpacking here in early August. How was the road access and the bugs? Did the camping area look decent?
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 05:32 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Frolicking in the snow, hanging out on summits, chilling out, eating, and laughing in the company of my friends.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by calixtomoon
nice boobs
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 06:07 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Thx all...!

Charisboof...the road in there was no problem, mostly smooth gravel and a few potholes that jumped out at me and there was one or two spots that you had to slow down because of the water bars?? I think that's what they are called..but they were very minor. There were lots of little cars in the parking lot when we returned to the truck.

THe location of the Hanngegan Camp was very pretty..It looked like it was all under snow, but we didn't really check it too close.

There was another camp not far after the Peak Trail turnoff...can't remember the name now..but you had to descend I think...that may have been the trail to Ruth Mt?? I think camping up higher would have been nice, but I'm not sure if there are actually feasible places to camp near the peak?

Didn't notice the bugs really, but my sweaty bod probably was a natural deterrant!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 07:05 PM
Summit Master

Interest: TO GET OUTSIDE! Hiking, backpacking, canoeing, bushwacking, scrambling

Awesome [8D]! What a great hike you two had. Gotta get down there one of these days []
post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 10:12 PM
Scaling New Heights

Interest: Hiking, backpacking, reading, traveling, learning, spending too much time on the internet.

Thanks a ton for the beta, Calixto!

Need to hope for continued warm weather to melt out the snow....
post #11 of (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 04:47 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, photography,

Way Cool!
Too funny! When the going got long and tough, the doggie had its
tongue hanging out. When it was time for the rest stop, that doggie smile with Cali is a fantastic picture that you MUST save. Great shot!
Going to Niagra Falls this weekend for a quick wedding. I can actually see water and trees! yes! yeehaw!
Beautiful place you had to hike. What vistas! I can't wait to get back out soon. I am inspired by this TR to get out and try a full long day hike.
We'll see.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page