Olympic NP, WA Beach Hike - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2008, 11:37 AM Thread Starter
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: SEA KAYAKING HIKING FISHING
Default Olympic NP, WA Beach Hike

With a good weather forecast and diminishing swell predicted, I thought a fitness/equipment check was in order so I headed out to LaPush, WA and Rialto Beach. My plan was to do a yo-yo trip to Yellow Bank, 3 miles from the Lake Ozette trailhead. Saw only 3 other hikers in 3 days, 2/23-2/25, I don't think they saw me. A few raccoon tracks but no harassment from them. Many bald eagles, particular juveniles. Tides were good for both morning and after hiking around headlands. Only a few drops of rain on Monday morning but pretty good for a February hike.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2008, 12:11 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Women

Awesome shots I like em, sorta reminds me of the Atlantic "Sorta" (around New Brunswick).

Especially this shot:

post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2008, 02:21 PM
Summit Master

That looks amazing!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2008, 08:27 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by AcesHigh

Awesome shots I like em, sorta reminds me of the Atlantic "Sorta" (around New Brunswick).

Especially this shot:
This one also reminds me of Siwash Rock by Stanley Park, Vancouver back in the 60's when the original old tree still had its green branches. Since died, expired, and replaced by a planted tree.....

Love the windsept surly cloud look..

K
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2008, 08:39 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by KARVITK
This one also reminds me of Siwash Rock by Stanley Park, Vancouver back in the 60's when the original old tree still had its green branches. Since died, expired, and replaced by a planted tree.....
Really? I think I have pics from when I was a kid of a dead tree on top of Siwash rock. No green branches. I don't remember the transition but I'm sure it's a different tree now.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2008, 09:47 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, photography,

Man, that sunset sure is talking past memories of the sea, to me.
I used to go topside almost every night when in the navy. I would sneak out and check out the sea in total darkness. You've really captured a special sunset moment, there. thanks. I miss the sea....
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2008, 10:08 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Love the outdoors. Trying new things. And at night......BOGGLE!

Great pictures!! Gotta get there.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2008, 12:10 AM
Summit Master

Interest: Backpacking, scrambling, skiing, mountain biking, skim boarding, running

Brings back many memories of family hiking trips on the Olympic Coast as a kid. Compares very well to the WCT without access challenges, the need to reserve months in advance and crowds.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2008, 03:34 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Woodworking, Hiking, Backpacking, canoe tripping, motorcycle touring, fishing, etc. ...etc. living life outdoors is what it\'s all about!
Send a message via MSN to Dusty Boots Send a message via Yahoo to Dusty Boots

Thanks for the pics and brief TR.
This has been in the top 7 'to do' hikes for several years now, but I never seem to get around to this one.
Excellent weather for this time of year there and am surprised by the low number of other 'visitors' during your hike.
I guess with the low visitation numbers, you had no problems with vandalism/break ins at the trail head? I had heard that this is an increasing problem at Rialto Beach(?)
Again, thanks for the pics as I have way more desire to do this from Rialto Beach to Ozette, than the WCT. Not over regulated and far more 'beach time'. [^]

Cheers, Dusty
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2008, 08:11 AM Thread Starter
Off the Beaten Path

Yeah, vandalism, car prowling is an issue all over. I was somewhat concerned but decided to go ahead. Rialto hasn't been as bad as Oil City, which is further south, but at this time of year not too many hooligans will drive all the way in to the beach parking lot in the hopes that a good breakin car will be there. Thats one advantage with the Ozette trailhead, the distance in there is so long that the thieves are deterred somewhat. Maybe the high fuel prices will limit the punks ability to drive. Hard to say. I suspect during the summer time the car prowls go up at Rialto due to the increased number of available cars. One thing you might consider doing would be to leave your car at the Wilderness office then walk out to the trailhead parking lot. It adds a couple of miles. Can't say though if it would really diminish the risk.
post #11 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2008, 11:56 AM
Summit Master

Makes me mad that we have to worry about such things. I would like to go down there but now I'm worried about vandalism to my car. I won't let it stop me though.

Do you think it helps to leave your vehicle unlocked so they don't have to bust it to get in? Or are we talking about vandalism for the sake of vandalism?
post #12 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2008, 12:35 PM Thread Starter
Off the Beaten Path

I would always lock my car no matter what. I also use a steering wheel lock, "the Club", to help the potential crook to move on. I suspect most of what happens at trailheads in Washington is theft, not "vandalism" and to be perfectly honest I don't know anyone who has been "prowled" at a trailhead in several years.

I think overall the risk is quite low this time of year. Everything I read about what goes on out on the Washington coast is really quite minimal and as long as you don't leave things of irreplacable value, in plain sight, the risk is small. I sure don't let it stop me from doing something, thats why I pay for insurance.

You might want to contact the Wilderness Office at Rialto and see if they have any current crime statistics. But I sure wouldn't let the hoodlums turn you off of doing something. There is a store, RV Park right at the turn off to go to Rialto Beach. Maybe they would do a drop off and pickup, plus watch your car? It would be about 11 miles from the store out to the beach. There is also a boat storage place across the road which might be cooperative about a shuttle. If that is what it takes to give you peace of mind, check it out.

post #13 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2008, 04:34 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Woodworking, Hiking, Backpacking, canoe tripping, motorcycle touring, fishing, etc. ...etc. living life outdoors is what it\'s all about!
Send a message via MSN to Dusty Boots Send a message via Yahoo to Dusty Boots

Thanks for being frank Allan. [^]

I was planning on leaving my vehicle by the Ranger station at Ozette Lake and get Windsox to shuttle me down to Rialto Beach, as I had heard there were a few 'car prowls' around the time of year I was considering it(end of Aug)

I'd prefer to do Ozette Lake - Rialto, to get the reserved site out of the way the 1st night and take my time poking around and exploring the whole 'essence' of the coastline, taking who knows how many days, before emerging at Rialto Beach and hop in my parked vehicle there. I might find an area intriguing and want to stay 2-3 days in one spot, or do the whole thing in 3 days. I like to build in that 'flexibility on a hike like that.
With the reports I had heard, I didn't want to take the chance of dealing with insurance and being in another country, as it might be harder to access Police reports, different depts etc and I don't care to pay $300 deductible. Not that it was that bad, but it was definitely on the increase and something to consider.[V]

It used to be quite bad at the China Beach TH , at the southern terminus of the Juan de Fuca Trail . Video cameras were installed I believe and the incidences dropped quite a bit.

The OCT still remains in my 'top 10 hikes to do' list though and one of these seasons, it'll be on the 'front burner'

Dusty
post #14 of (permalink) Old 02-29-2008, 09:01 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by wilderness_seeker

Makes me mad that we have to worry about such things. I would like to go down there but now I'm worried about vandalism to my car. I won't let it stop me though.

Do you think it helps to leave your vehicle unlocked so they don't have to bust it to get in? Or are we talking about vandalism for the sake of vandalism?
Sucks, when one has to worry about the vandalism, and deductible costs. The creeeps !

Tracy, Siwash Rock had green branches on it, I think closer to 1960 than latter on.

K

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page