Lakeshore Trail, Lake Chelan WA,- Vid now included - Page 2 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2007, 07:24 AM
gj

Go back and do it in spring Dusty, tons of wildflowers, hummingbirds buzzing around, lots of wildlife (because of the snow higher up) and ticks are not a problem. I've hiked this trail twice in May and saw only one tick (at Flick Creek shelter), but did see two rattlesnakes on the first trip. Incidentally, this is not the southern part of the Okanogan valley, it's an entirely separate valley of its own on the other side of the Sawtooths.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2007, 08:43 AM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Woodworking, Hiking, Backpacking, canoe tripping, motorcycle touring, fishing, etc. ...etc. living life outdoors is what it\'s all about!
Send a message via MSN to Dusty Boots Send a message via Yahoo to Dusty Boots

You make it sound so enticing to do it again, in the spring. I was a little disappointed in the lack of wildlife.
May, would be too hot for me as I have trouble getting rid of excess 'body heat'. [}]
I think mid-later April would be ideal, depending on the conditions of course

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by gj

Incidentally, this is not the southern part of the Okanogan valley, it's an entirely separate valley of its own on the other side of the Sawtooths.
Sorry for misleading. I meant that the area around the lower end of the lake(Manson and Chelan), are in the southern end of the OK valley.(well actually the Columbia River,not far south of where the OK river empties into it, but their climates are very similar!)
Yes, Lake Chelan runs basically SE-NW, on the southern side of the Chelan-Sawtooths crest and the area, especially mid-lake and up, is prone to more 'active weather'.

Thanks for pointing that out.

Dusty
post #18 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2007, 02:17 PM
gj

My pleasure Dusty. April is a great time except on big snow years, but May is usually not too hot there. Another bonus in spring is the cross-lake views are better, with snow on the peaks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2007, 10:55 AM
Off the Beaten Path

Finally had some quiet time to read this TR, and it was worth it! Thanks DB, the teasers raised the right expectation!

Nice pic. This kinda sums up the mood in the whole trip report and the solitude is inspiring.

Quote:
quote:...until I take a break an hour later for some pics, snack and a smoke...

...to have a snack/drink/smoke and shortly after getting underway again...
Naughty, naughty...

Quote:
quote:After a while, I went to bed and I was awake at 4:30am, when I heard a strange noise, coming from the direction of Fish Creek. The sound is hard to describe, but I would say it definitely was 'mechanical' in origin. Kind of reminded me of a cross between a wind chime and a xylophone. Strange indeed.
Was this my 'sixth sense' coming alive, again? I seem to hear/see things that have happened in the past. I pick up on these 'power spots', most of them spiritual in nature and usually when I'm alone, as other people distract me from 'tuning in'. (read my report in my Salt Creek Canyon TR, or with RM after we did the Grand Canyon, for an example.) Still can't figure out what it was, although I heard it 4 times distinctly and the direction was from where the old Moore's Inn, used to stand. {I was told by a psychic , that I had many past lives, at least 20, she said. Could be why I seem to be such a 'conduit'. I know I'm leaving myself wide open to the critics, but how else can you explain these ... 'happenings'! I used to wonder about it and why me, but now I just accept it.
I bet you're not the only one hearing (and seeing?) things while hiking solo. I always hear voices, usually coming up the trail behind me. I'm always surprised to see there's absolutely no one there.

Quote:
quote:I was just sitting on the picnic table, looking out upon the lake and the darkness that enveloped it, when I noticed a 'mist with some 'figures'. gliding by, on the water. I strained my eyes to try and make it out. I could barely make out 12-15canoes with First Nations people aboard, heads down and paddling for all they were worth, while at the same time, keeping very quiet! I watched in silence as all the craft passed, knowing that I was having another one of my 'spiritual moments' It appeared to me, they were making a yearly pilgrimage to their wintering grounds, hurrying to keep ahead of winter. I felt like waving to them but I just 'nodded' and smiled.
Now this freaks me out! Were they actually there? You don't show any pics, or attempts at pics of this 'vision.' Kinda cool to see anyway, whether 'real' or in your mind's eye.

On the other hand, what exactly was it that you were smoking...?

Thanks for the report, DB. A great read, and a great place to visit.

post #20 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2007, 04:31 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Woodworking, Hiking, Backpacking, canoe tripping, motorcycle touring, fishing, etc. ...etc. living life outdoors is what it\'s all about!
Send a message via MSN to Dusty Boots Send a message via Yahoo to Dusty Boots

Thanks JC, the whole trip's mood was like that, very 'laid back', just the way I was wanting/hoping it would be. That's why I spread it out over the 4 days. It can be done it 2, pushing it somewhat, while most take 3 days. I wanted to have some good 'alone time'. That's why i said - " I was actually a little relieved that I was going solo, as that is my preferred 'style', having no agenda to fulfill, except what I felt like doing, when I felt like it. Soloists, know what I mean. " I had posted this hike and I had one 'committed' and one 'thinking hard about it', but both dropped out. I was a little surprised that I got any bites on it at all, due to the time frame needed and it was during the week. It all worked out well, in the end.
Now, I'm not, by any means, an "anti-social" type,(anyone who has hiked/met me, will probably say I'm the complete opposite) but with my job and lifestyle, it's nice to get away from it all and reconnect again. []

No, no pics just the 'vision' That's a 1st for me, as I usually get strong 'vibes', or very clear 'auditory signals'. I had 2 of those while I was down in Southern Utah, this spring. One around an old Anasazi granary (scroll down to 1/2 way through the report) and the other was when I was with Rented Mule, up at Mt Trumbull. -
" Jerry suggests we go and check out another Pictograph site, up on Mt. Trumbull, so we head up there, into the coolness that 7,500' brings, as the day is winding down. There is an real forest up here, including some Ponderosa Pines and a few Doug Firs. We check out a few paths before Jerry nails the right one and after parking the truck, hike down the 3/4 mile path to the 'bowl' that contains a lot of rock art on a jumble of broken basalt...... finish taking some photos of the site and retreat up the bank, back to the trail. Jerry was off somewhere else and enters the site and is looking for arrowheads and any pieces/shards of pottery. He found a couple pieces on an earlier trip and placed them into one of the many 'cubby holes'/cracks that abound at this site, but forgets where. He's really checking everything out! All of a sudden, I hear a guttural grunt off to right, around 90' away.
Humph! I look in the direction of the sound but see nothing, nor do I detect any kind of 'movement'. A couple of minutes goes by when I hear it again, but closer to me, Humph! and shortly after another one approx midway between these 2. I get the distinct feeling the sight is being 'watched/guarded/ by Spirits. I relax and light up a smoke, while the Spirits continue to make themselves known to me, vocally. I get the distinct impression that they disapprove of Jerry disturbing their 'site'. After about 10 minutes, Jerry is finished poking around and heads towards me. The guttural vocalization stops but I continue to stand still, listening . When Jerry joins me, I relate the experience to him and we stand still for another minute, but there are no more 'vocalizations' . "

I quit trying to 'explain it' to others(and myself) and just accept it for what it is, a 'special gift'. [8D] Sort of like in the movie 'Field of Dreams'

Glad you enjoyed the TR Justin, as I certainly enjoyed the hike.

Cheers, Dusty

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page