A Perfect Day at Lake Ann Mt Baker, Sep 19 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2007, 10:54 PM Thread Starter

Default A Perfect Day at Lake Ann Mt Baker, Sep 19

A cool clear sunny day off. Got to go hiking. "How about Lake Ann?", suggested greyowl. Yes! I had been to Mt Baker only once before and was itching to get back there.

This day was a success in many ways. There were zero cars in front of us at the border crossing, we encountered few people and no mosquitoes or flies on the trail, and there were lots and lots of blueberries!

oh and there were the views, right from the beginning; greyowl taking pics

me, happy to be away from the city

approaching Lake Ann and down at the lake

one of the many streams

greyowl at the lunch spot and me with the Curtis Glacier on the background

we should go and have a closer look at that glacier...

there is a climbers route to the glacier which we hiked for a about a mile

view of Baker Lake on the way to the glacier

that's better...

finally, some close ups and a raven posing

Can't wait to return.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2007, 06:12 AM

...great TR and Raven pic...
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2007, 06:21 AM
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, hunting, fishing, and many others.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by 64Parallel
One of the many streams.
Looks like a very picturesque trip.
I love this picture of the stream.
If that section was cut out it would look like a aerial or satellite photo of one of our inlets.
Baker and it's amazing trails and you capture it at it's best.
Fantastic macros too.
Thanx for sharing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2007, 07:50 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Spending time with my man and family, relaxing with good friends and good food, hiking, paddling,

Looks like you and greyowl had a wonderful day out in my favorite area. Nice pictures. I especially enjoyed your macro shots. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2007, 09:43 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking,hiking,hiking and more hiking

Great pics, If the weather gets better this is one to do!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2007, 09:47 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:64Parallel Posted - 09/19/2007 : 10:54:40 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A cool clear sunny day off. Got to go hiking.
Of course, what else? [8D] And such a beautiful place to spend the day. Nice one, ladies.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2007, 11:29 AM
Off the Beaten Path

Just so that you don't think there are no views of Mt. Baker on this trail ...

1. From Swift Creek, the low point of the hike
2. From the ridge above Lake Ann
3. Summit cone
4. On the return in late afternoon - clouds over summit had settled in for good

... or wildlife

Blue Grouse, we heard its clucking before we spotted it. Pikas were whistling all around us, but they're extremely shy and hard to photograph because they never sit still - not at all like the grouse or the raven who both posed for us!

The imposing views are those of Mt. Shuksan with its four glaciers, White Salmon, Upper and Lower Curtis and Sulphide. We hiked fairly close to the Lower Curtis Glacier, but turned around when the switchbacks seemed to take us away from it. According to the map in "100 Hikes in Washington's North Cascades", we were following the climbers' track to the Fisher Chimneys which take climbers to the foot of the Upper Curtis Glacier.

What looked like the Fisher Chimneys to me is at the extreme left of the upper glacier.

A view details about this hike: The TH is half-way between Austin Pass and Artist Point on Hwy 542. Round trip 8.5 miles, hiking time 6-8 hrs. The trail starts out by descending 250 m down to Swift Creek. It then climbs 300 m over a granite boulder field to a ridge above the lake. The grade, both down and up is gentle. We added about 3 miles by first wandering over towards the glacier after our lunch at the end of lake, and then by climbing up a heathery spur to Shuksan Arm where there are a couple of spectacular campsites with views of Mt. Shuksan and Baker, and Lake Ann. These sites are much more secluded than the ones around the lake where you will be faced with people wandering through or next to your camp (it is a popular trail, particularly on weekends), but you do have the advantage of a water source. My choice would be lugging the pack up a steep, but mercifully short trail to the ridge and escape the traffic. Btw, camping at Lake Ann does not require a permit (according to the sign posted at the TH).

The obligatory flora shot ...

and a last look near the end of the hike to the ridge above Lake Ann with Swift Creek Basin down below ...

We hit the trail at 9:30 and were back at the car by 5:15. We spent an inordinate amount of time feasting on blueberries which are at their very best right now!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2007, 11:42 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Been hearing a lot about Baker recently. Very nice pics and good trip!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2007, 02:49 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Very nice area indeed. Gotta get me that passport to the North Cascades sometime to enjoy it for myself. Until then, I'll gladly do with your ladies' abundance of nice pictures. Thanks.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2007, 03:00 PM
Off the Beaten Path

I will have to add this one to my "Baker List"

Great pics!

Seems like the weather was on your side

B-Doc
post #11 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2007, 03:27 PM
Dru
Super Moderator

Interest: climbing and spraying

The Fisher Chimneys are out of the pic to the left, well away from the glacier, and really more of a system of loose gullies than a chimney.

That glacier can be really active. I think when I came down the Fishers there were 5 or 6 icefalls during the couple of hours we were in the chimneys. It is a great vantage point to watch them, well out of the firing line but within eye range and earshot.
post #12 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2007, 03:29 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, biking, kayaking, swimming, tai chi, meditation.

My two trips to Baker were not the best, one day I'll get back there ladies and am so glad you had a wonderful time. I really enjoyed your trip report Tarja, great pictures too. Now I am glad I bailed because I can see your hearts were really towards the mountain that has made me shy.
Happy trails,
Lynn
post #13 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2007, 04:39 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for the kind comments on the pics. Mt Baker is a photographer's paradise. It's difficult to take a bad pic there.

Hikerdude, camping is excellent at Lake Ann. Here is a pic of the secluded campsite on top of the ridge that greyowl mentioned, with a view to Mt Shuksan and Mt Baker (in the cloud at that moment)

The downside is that you have to trek down to fetch water.
Here is a pic of one of the campsites down by the lake

Blucruisin, Mt Baker is fast becoming my favourite area to hike too. You should have seen the blueberries! There were particularly abundant along the climbers' route, which sees less hikers.

Dru, thanks for clarifying the Fisher Chimneys for us. I would have liked to get closer to the glacier, but the climbers' route was unknown to us and we were running out of time.
post #14 of (permalink) Old 09-21-2007, 09:01 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Spending time with my man and family, relaxing with good friends and good food, hiking, paddling,

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Justin Case

Very nice area indeed. Gotta get me that passport to the North Cascades sometime to enjoy it for myself. Until then, I'll gladly do with your ladies' abundance of nice pictures. Thanks.
You don't need a passport YET for land crossings into the US, just picture ID and birth certificate or citizenship card. I think the requirement for a passport at the border doesn't start until 2008. So, nothing to stop you this fall! Especially with the Canadian dollar doing so well.

Cheers!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page