Hannegan trail to Hannegan camp and MT Ruth - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2007, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
Ed
Headed for the Mountains

Default Hannegan trail to Hannegan camp and MT Ruth

The gravel access road to the trailhead for Hannegan is a single track road in fair condition. There is a large washout at one corner which is well marked and for now is passable. This area looks like it will washout in the coming spring. When this occurs this will add to the growing list of trails which will be inaccessible in the Mount Baker/Snoqualmie national forest area. The road ends in a large parking lot and a park pass is required to park. For those of you with a GPS the waypoints are N48 54.611 W121 35.529 Elev.3,198'
The start time for this trail was 11:16am. The trial is easily followed and is for the most part open with views of a ridge, and for me at least the goal for the day.

Along the way there are a few washouts where the established trail and like the road these will likely get worse next spring. The trail raises steadily and alternates between some forest cover with larger trees to open slopes with lots of flowers.

The valley you are walking in is quite scenic looking back to the trailhead along the way as well.

Hannegan camp is about 1hr 45min fromthe trail head. It has about eight spots with separate cooking and food caching areas. There is a sign indicating you have reached the camp and you cross a small boardwalk which has a small creek running under it, this is the camps water source. The waypoints are N48 52.873 W121 32.288 Elev. 4,644' and this is just over three miles from the parking lot. Remain on the trail towards Hannegan peak and you will come across a small pond/puddle, turn left for Hannegan peak, straight to copper ridge and into the Chilliwack river basin, or right to access the snowfield and Mount Ruth. This is your last water source for the day on the way to Ruth. The trail now goes straight up, is narrow and will be slippery in the rain.

This is the only really grunt of the entire trail. Once you finish this section of the trail you are out in the open and the trail switchbacks along several scree slopes. In the winter and early spring these would be huge avalanche areas. The trail eventually spirals around a peak then you are on the ridge. Here you have full 360 views of the surrounding areas with Mount Barker prominately viewed through the gaps of the nearby ridges.

The hiking is now both easy and beautiful as you move along the ridge.

There is evidence of a small camp up here just in the small trees grouped together, it is a nice spot which would be somewhat sheltered, however I am not certain you are allowed to camp here.

Looking back towards Hannegan peak and copper ridge trail.

The trail is easily followed along the ridge onto a snowfield. This snow field is steep and has two rock outcroppings.

There are a few small crevasses opening between the outcroppings and the the open snowfields on route to Ruth show more. I stopped short of Ruth near the base of the larger outcropping. It has awesome views as well. The waypoints from my GPS are as follows N48 58.788
W121 31.805 Elev. 6,676'

I stopped here as I did not have all the necessary equipment, and an uncontrolled slide from here would result in very likely fatal injuries.

Here is a view of Hannegan peak and the trail which can be seen along the valleys edge.

Some views of the ridge.

I turned around at the edge of the second outcropping.

A parting shot of where I had been. Hiking time including all breaks andscrambling the various ares was 8hrs 20min. While rating scales are ambiguous I found the trail easy to moderate. Up until the icefield where proper equipment should probably be used, as an uncontrolled slide would likely result in major trauma.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2007, 06:42 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Thank you for this very nice TR and the beautiful pictures! Not having hiked this trail before, but intending to do so before the days get too short, I really appreciate all the detail. Like you, I'll stop at the base of Ruth unless there is a major melt in the next month. Lovely flower shots!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2007, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
Ed
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by greyowl

Thank you for this very nice TR and the beautiful pictures! Not having hiked this trail before, but intending to do so before the days get too short, I really appreciate all the detail. Like you, I'll stop at the base of Ruth unless there is a major melt in the next month. Lovely flower shots!
Grey owl I hope you get there this year the Washinton Trail Association is swamped with trail repairs and are really behind. Once the road washes out it will need a great deal of work because of the slope and it will be a show stopper for this area. If you have cramp ons and an ice axe there is a route up past the rockface and I am told the views towards Baker are worth the extra grunt up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2007, 10:28 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Those are beautiful shots, especially the flowers.

K

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page