A Taste of Heaven... on the Devils Tongue - Page 2 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2006, 11:03 AM
Headed for the Mountains

I'd have been worried about rolling over into the lake at night...
Phenomenal pictures and place!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2006, 01:56 PM
Summit Master

Just B, the northern half of East Bank is a great trail - boot-worn for the first 3 miles until the half-mile spur to Hozomeen Lake, then it becomes a lonely little trail that few people take (god knows why) all the way to Deer Lick, where traffic picks up again. The trail from Lightning Creek camp to the top of Desolation is Garibaldi-Lake-grade switchback heaven/hell (depending on your preferences), splendid views as soon as you cross the 'ravine'.

Wowzers, my second time up there in that many years, will return there again for sure. It was hazy up there, likely because of the same fires that you witnessed from closer.

I'll post a trip report later this week, I just finished sorting through the photos that I want to post here (I took over 580 that week). If you want a multiday walk with much solitude (we only encountered 4 people while on our way up from our car to Desolation!!) this would be a very good choice. Camp Nightmare is an absolute misnomer, wish we had stayed there.
post #18 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2006, 02:29 PM
Summit Master

Interest: fiddling, hiking, climbing, dancing, photography, Tai Chi, running

Beautiful trip! Thanks for the info and the great photos! Yeah, getting the pack weight down is critical, especially as you get older just so you can keep up with the younger folks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2006, 02:29 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Great report Justin. Still as beautiful as ever. Lets hope that corner of the world stays wild. I remember there being a lot of wildlife up there.
post #20 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2006, 05:39 PM
Headed for the Mountains

it's so easy to get overloaded with images on the i-net. but yours are outstanding, so i just had to look! congratulations on executing a terrific plan!
post #21 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2006, 06:36 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Hiking, music, art, wood working, hockey. Any thing that takes too much time, effort, space and money.

What a trip!

Getting up to Silver Lake is one of my many pipe dreams, perhaps one day…

Do you have a map with your route on it? Or perhaps you could dot in a line on Google Earth for us?
post #22 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2006, 07:04 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Mountains,skiing,cooking,Conspiracies,reading

Inspiring!
post #23 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2006, 07:04 PM

I wish i had three days to hike in the middle of no where like that...
post #24 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2006, 11:51 PM
EAK
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: climbing, hiking, birding, art, writing, reading, volunteering in corrections

Justin, you see any bears? I remember seeing huge and numerous piles of scat in the meodows above the lakes...oh ya and an agressive bear.
post #25 of (permalink) Old 08-16-2006, 12:57 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Just B

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by shrubhugger

Awesome title.
The photos ...

I hope I remember to spend more time on this report when I have it.
Nice small packs.
Are you guys camels? How much water did you bring to camp?
It has taken me alot of trial and error to figure out getting my pack light enough to take on more aggressive, longer trips involving scrambling/climbing in comfort and still having all the neccesities for a multiday. Some sacrifices are, no stove, high calorie yet light food, no rope or climbing aids... trying not to climb free beyond my comfort level(not always the case), no tent and knowing whether or not there will be sufficient water in the area. We started out with two litres each, refilled from Galene Lakes and then from melting snow and ice patches higher up. Never carrying more than a litre or so after the start. My pack weighed only about 20 lbs which definitely contributed to the success of this trip. Originally we were going to bring climbing gear and attempt to summit the Devils Toothpick as well, but I'm glad we opted out of that at the last minute.
Good points. I'm at the start of that trial and error stage. Learned a lot though.

Fantastic pictures and great report. An amazing area and thanks for sharing this little gem.

post #26 of (permalink) Old 08-16-2006, 01:17 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Hiking, cycling, soccer,Tae Kwon-Do

wow! wow! wow!

----------------------------------------
"If we don't change direction, we'll end up where we're headed."
post #27 of (permalink) Old 08-17-2006, 12:11 AM Thread Starter
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Mountains, Music, Photography

Thanks alot everyone, Im glad you've enjoyed the report.

deneb - there is no doubt in my mind that if you want to get up there bad enough, you will.

EAK - We didn't see any bears, but definitely some scat around.
post #28 of (permalink) Old 08-17-2006, 08:49 AM
Off the Beaten Path

Exceptional trip in an exceptional area. Well done and beautifully reported.

I noticed what looked like rock shoes in one of your photos. What footware did you use?

It sounds like a lot of experience, thought and planning went into making this such a great experience. Congratulations.
post #29 of (permalink) Old 08-17-2006, 10:56 PM Thread Starter
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Mountains, Music, Photography

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Walkies

Exceptional trip in an exceptional area. Well done and beautifully reported.

I noticed what looked like rock shoes in one of your photos. What footware did you use?

It sounds like a lot of experience, thought and planning went into making this such a great experience. Congratulations.
Thank you Bob, glad you've enjoyed. Bojan packed his rock shoes along as his runners were literally falling apart. He used them for most of the scrambling on the way up as well as some bouldering near our first camp. I went out and dropped the bomb on a new pair of Merrell approach shoes just prior to the trip and was extremely happy with them both comfort and performance wise. Emphasis on lightness and comfortability was a priority in the planning of this trip because it is definitely a long one covering a variety of terrain. My mountain boots would have been overkill and likely would have caused me some blistering over that distance(close to 50km return roughly). However, due to wearing only runners, we had to ascend by a harder, snow free route, the SE ridge proper(class 4 with moves of some easy 5th) rather than the still partially snow covered standard SE face route(class 3). We hadn't packed ice axes to cut down on weight. And yes, we definitely did our homework before heading into this area. Including a few recon missions, one of which had us swept downstream trying to ford the river in the Skagit Valley when the water was still too high last year. [:I]
post #30 of (permalink) Old 08-17-2006, 11:31 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Outdoor stuff...especially scrambling,trailrunning,mountain biking,kayaking,and hiking, and of course photography

I hereby pronounce you "King of the Sunset Shots" [8D]
Great read, Just B

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page