Olympic National Park killer goats - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 12:27 PM Thread Starter
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: SEA KAYAKING HIKING FISHING
Default Olympic National Park killer goats

While it certainly must be painful for the family to have lost a loved one, I must admit I am a bit disturbed by this:

http://www.king5.com/home/Claims-tot...?commentPage=1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 12:46 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Mountains....

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by alpalmer

While it certainly must be painful for the family to have lost a loved one, I must admit I am a bit disturbed by this:

http://www.king5.com/home/Claims-tot...?commentPage=1
I have zero sympathy for these scum and I could care less if they are grieving or not. Money grubbing ignorant douche wipes...sounds like the goat got the wrong family members. The lawyers taking the case should also be gored by goats.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 01:20 PM
Dru
Super Moderator

Interest: climbing and spraying

When goats kill tourists, the goats should be rewarded in some way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 01:46 PM
Headed for the Mountains

There is a broader issue here that I think is important: the liability of park operators in wilderness areas.

I think anyone entering a provincial or national park (I know this took place in the States, just referencing it to our own situation) should be considered on their own. If they choose to use a bridge, trail or anything else, they do so on their own judgement. The government/park operator should not be responsible for any safety guarantees.

It is impossible for any agency to take an area, such as the larger provincial parks, and absolutely keep every trail, bridge, shelter and parking lot in tip top shape. Never going to happen. Throw in bears, mountain goats and brake line eating porcupines, and you have an obvious mix where eventually someone is going to suffer if they are not careful.

It should state right at the entrance to every park 'Abandon all legal whims, yee who enter here'. I don't care if the park operator is negligent. Perhaps they didn't repair a bridge that was wobbling after spring runoff cut into the bank. You are in the wild. You use your judgement to cross the bridge or not. You end up in the river. Tough beans. You made the call. You suffer the consequences. No legal action is permitted.

Park budgets are already super squeezed. The last thing I want to see is money diverted to pay for legal bills and liability awards.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 01:47 PM
High on the Mountain Top

This is the same goat story we where talking about last year:

https://www.clubtread.com/sforum/topi...TOPIC_ID=37569

I mean is it really surprising the family are suing? Suing each other is like the National pastime in the US isn't it?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 01:50 PM
Headed for the Mountains

That's one guilty looking goat: http://www.king5.com/news/local/Moun...105138334.html

Like some of the commenters said, the family should be suing the goat. And the goat's family should have the right to counter-sue for the loss of their father.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-10-2011, 08:23 AM
Super Moderator

Interest: hiking, backpacking, scrambling, climbing

I think it is reasonable to expect the same level of care on roads in a park as outside. I think that on official trails where bridges are built and maintained, people can expect the bridges to not collapse on them. I think it should be explicitly stated what is parks-maintained (some structures) and what is not (unofficial trails, cliffs, animals, etc.)
I suspect the angle they are going on here is 'parks knew he was a problem and failed to do anything', but I do consider that unacceptable.
He was warned, and when the goat did show up, instead of all backing off as informed to ('stay far away from goats'), but told his group that he would make it leave. Nice work.
Thing is, anyone can sue anyone. It's the nanny-state supporters who will award him the money that is the problem.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-10-2011, 08:28 AM
Headed for the Mountains

^^^^^^ VERY well said!! If the freaking courts would stop allowing people to win their appallingly stupid lawsuits (McDonald's coffee, anyone?), then perhaps people would be less inclined to try making an easy buck by suing.

Makes me wonder how long it will be before tracking collars start coming equipped with "Danger - KEEP AWAY FROM THIS ANIMAL!" signs attached to them (after all, apparently humans are too stupid to figure these things out for themselves nowadays, so why not start posting the warnings directly ON the animals...?).

Okay, so I'm done ranting.

(Must have woken up on the wrong side of the bed this morning, as I'm obviously overly cranky today. My co-workers are just gonna LOVE me....)
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-10-2011, 08:35 AM
Headed for the Mountains

I don't know about anyone else but I can definitely see the crazy in this goats eyes!

Very sad to hear how this story ended, but seriously suing the national park because they chose to spend time in the backcountry. I swear people think national parks are like zoo's where there are keepers looking after the animals. You head out in the wild, whether there is an imaginary state/province assigned border, you accept the risks of being out there.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-10-2011, 09:51 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Black Adder

There is a broader issue here that I think is important: the liability of park operators in wilderness areas.
post #11 of (permalink) Old 08-10-2011, 09:54 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by HagensborgViking

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Black Adder

post #12 of (permalink) Old 08-10-2011, 09:56 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by HagensborgViking

LOL!
post #13 of (permalink) Old 08-10-2011, 01:56 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

This is getting almost hilarious. There are risks in the wild.. ..
... a comment from thread attached to the article:

said on August 8, 2011 at 6:24 PM
I think they changed the law so that those who qualify, can carry a weapon in state parks. Since there are wild animals, not to mention a lawyer or two, maybe people should exercise that right....just in case. You never know when a rabid lawyer may jump out of the bushes..

K
post #14 of (permalink) Old 08-10-2011, 07:51 PM
Headed for the Mountains

This is how I take care of goats when I hike Olympic National..
post #15 of (permalink) Old 08-10-2011, 07:59 PM
Summit Master

Interest: hiking,swimming,anything on the water or outside.Try almost anything once

This is what's wrong with the world!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MAKES ME PUKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page