Mt. Baker: Cougar Divide question - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-10-2007, 11:31 AM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Spending time with my man and family, relaxing with good friends and good food, hiking, paddling,
Default Mt. Baker: Cougar Divide question

Now that the road to Skyline Divide is impassable I am looking for other options. Someone mentioned Cougar Divide to me but the information I've found is pretty limited. CT's Trail Wiki doesn't have any information. Has anyone done this hike recently? Any information on the road and trail conditions would be appreciated. Thank you.

Cheers!

Cheers!

"Smile, it is the key that fits the lock to everybody's heart."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-10-2007, 12:03 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Photography, Skiing

If you make it up to Chowder Ridge the views are awesome and you likely won't see many people.

2 recent reports from WTA...

Aug 03, 2007 by happy hiker
Cougar Divide #601
The North Cascades
a call to the glacier public service center revealed that the access road is now cleared. it has been washed out for the last several years. the road crew, however, have not cut the brush yet. so you can expect some serious scratching of the paint on your car.
the bugs are out and will only get worse. the usual peak of pesky bugs is 3-3 1/2 weeks from early to late august. so come prepared if you choose this route.

Reported problems: Trail over-grown, Bugs!
Search our Online Trail Guide for more information

Jul 22, 2007 by Alan
Cougar Divide #601
The North Cascades
With reports of the road to Skyline Divide #678 being blocked, I thought it would be a good chance to try Cougar. It's very similar to Skyline Divide, except you're spared the 1800ft climb through the woods. The trail is primitive, and there's no green line on the green trail map #13, but you can overcome that by taking a green pen marking the top of the ridge. The trail does get a little mysterious at times, especially at a few blow-downs, but it's a well boot-beaten trough for most of the trip. There's very little snow until the ascent to chowder ridge.
Very early in the hike you break through the woods and climb to a peak at 5382ft. From this peak there are stunning views of Baker and the surrounding area. You then dive back under tree line until approximately the peak at 5640. We hiked about half-way up to Chowder Ridge, but had to turn around because of time considerations.

As cited in other reports on the web, the mosquitoes are crazy when you're under tree line. They will swarm you. Don't attempt this hike unprepared. Bring >30% Deet, or long sleeves/gloves/bug net.

Take HWY 542 to FS Rd 33 and drive to the end(passable for most passenger cars). Go left at the Y near the end. Rd 33 is closed 11/1 thru 7/1.

Reported problems: Blow-down, Bugs!

post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-10-2007, 12:08 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Spending time with my man and family, relaxing with good friends and good food, hiking, paddling,

Thank you. Looks like I'll wait as I have enough pin striping on my vehicle already. [:I]

Cheer!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 08:21 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Been doing some research, and just determined Cougar Divide trail is a worthy objective. Think this would be something like Skyline Divide...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Cougar Divide info.JPG
Views:	92
Size:	120.5 KB
ID:	266516

K

Hiking is what keeps you young of mind and heart. When the going gets tough, the tough get going..............

Last edited by KARVITK; 05-21-2019 at 08:44 PM.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 01:53 AM
Hittin' the Trails

Interest: Mountain adventures, hiking, XC skiing, exploring

Ya its great. Quick hike into the Alpine, which is good Cuz the bugs can be bad. From the top of chowder ridge you can ramble over to skyline. Lots of snow til July. Count me in on a trip there.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2020, 08:50 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Interest: Hiking, backpacking, kayaking

Although probably no longer of relevance to the question posed, an excellent source is NWHikers.net.
The forums, well moderated, basically cover the spine of the Rockies, from BC-AB down to the US-Mexican border, with spillover on each side (California, Montana, Idaho ...). The site is Washington State-focused, but posters have seemingly been everywhere.
The site is also very good for road and trailhead conditions, including latest round of break-ins. The rangers at info centers try hard to keep up with mischief but rely to some degree on reports from LE and hikers.
Heavy rains may close access roads because of mudslides or streams rerouting and flowing across roads.
It may be easiest to learn about such issues on the forums.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2020, 05:05 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdBrook View Post
Although probably no longer of relevance to the question posed, an excellent source is NWHikers.net.
The forums, well moderated, basically cover the spine of the Rockies, from BC-AB down to the US-Mexican border, with spillover on each side (California, Montana, Idaho ...). The site is Washington State-focused, but posters have seemingly been everywhere.
The site is also very good for road and trailhead conditions, including latest round of break-ins. The rangers at info centers try hard to keep up with mischief but rely to some degree on reports from LE and hikers.
Heavy rains may close access roads because of mudslides or streams rerouting and flowing across roads.
It may be easiest to learn about such issues on the forums.

Thank you Coldbrook for posting the info here.

K

Hiking is what keeps you young of mind and heart. When the going gets tough, the tough get going..............

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page