East End of Rundle - April 10, 2009
Weather was incredible, with sun and decent temperatures. My little zipper thermometer read ~14 at the bottom, and 0 at the windy top.
The trail's in decent condition, with typical spring troubles. The bottom section below treeline includes packed snow which will probably be slush and mud by now. Mid-mountain is really nice, with a little more snow up near the top. The upper cliffbands are a little troublesome, as the vast snowmelt has turned the scree into slippery mud, but we made it through on snow, and this looks like it won't need too much good weather to dry up.
Full report is on my website
. A few photos here:
1. Chinaman's Peak across Whiteman's Gap from us.
2. Upper mountain from just below treeline.
3. Snow patches below the summit cliffbands.
4. Traversing between cliffbands.
5. Cool avalanche paths in the bowl between us and the third peak.
6. Celebrating victory in my usual high-fashion style.