Packraft/backpack Tuktut Nogait National Park, NWT, July 2019 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

7Likes
  • 1 Post By KARVITK
  • 1 Post By bluesky
  • 1 Post By sidetrip
  • 1 Post By alpalmer
  • 3 Post By CWF

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 03:13 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Default Packraft/backpack Tuktut Nogait National Park, NWT, July 2019

I have been trying to fit in an extended summer Arctic trip every year or two. This year we did a packrafting/backpacking trip down the Hornaday River, NWT, starting at Canoe Lake, and going as far as La Roncière Falls. The trip was taken over a busy 15 days, and we had decent water levels, a few riffles, beautiful waterfalls & tundra, many caribou, and some easy hikes to enjoy.

Click below for my video trip report (youtube). The narration is taken from my trip audio diary, so expect it to be somewhat unpolished.

Thanks to Glen, Wade, Tu Loan, Doug and Joe for the adventure, pictures, and video!

Last edited by bluesky; 10-19-2019 at 07:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 09:38 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

You are awesome Steve, Your video is a fine presentation wit so much complete enjoyable content. Love the way you put it together and narrate it.

I can only dream of ever getting up there. Always good to know the Grizzly runs away when he smells Humans.

How do you deal with the bugs.

K
bluesky likes this.

Hiking is what keeps you young of mind and heart. When the going gets tough, the tough get going..............
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 12:50 AM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Hi Karl, great to hear from you, and thanks for the kind comments. Probably the biggest step to getting this trip to go was to find the right group, and I feel very honoured to have done this trip with such a strong group of great people.

The mosquitos would be very bad when it was warm, and no wind. An original bug shirt is a huge help. Sometimes I would put some deet on my hands. Also, we adapted somewhat, and when the bugs were bad, we got on the water, hiked at full speed, or simply retreated to our tents. To a certain extent , I got used to being bitten and found the bites didn't tend to itch that much. However, I never got used to inhaling them :-)
alpalmer likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 09:03 AM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: What can I say, I love the outdoors. Backpacking, canoeing, hiking, fishing, a little cycling and so on and so on.

Hey Steve. A very nice looking trip. Would love and hope to do something similar soon. I had Tu Loan training with me on acclimatizing to the bug horde a couple weeks before your epic adventure. We were overnighting on Mt. Currie enroute to the summit. Was torture but we prevailed (:
bluesky likes this.

Every journey begins with one small step.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Hi Sidetrip, thanks for the comments. Mt Currie? nice! You might check in with Tu Loan about pack rafting; room for more people in our local group :-)
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 08:16 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: What can I say, I love the outdoors. Backpacking, canoeing, hiking, fishing, a little cycling and so on and so on.

That's what she tells me. Actually know or heard of everyone on that crew including yourself. We were on a clubtread hike together in 04 or 05 I think it might have been. Can't recall though what the hike was. All a blur now from back in the good old days.

Every journey begins with one small step.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-25-2019, 12:51 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: SEA KAYAKING HIKING FISHING

so cool, thanks for sharing this wonderful trip!
bluesky likes this.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-18-2021, 11:09 AM
CWF
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Hiking, backpacking, travel, reading, movies, cooking, drinking wine, eating.

Great trip report, bluesky. A friend and I backpacked in from Paulatuk, summer solstice 2006 and I've always wanted to get back there.
La Roncière Falls back then:

It's a jaw dropping landscape for sure. We woke up to caribou surrounding our tent, the clicking of their leg joints, their soft grunting... tons of wildflowers... and blessed solitude. Great memories!
martin, sidetrip and ColdBrook like this.

Last edited by CWF; 08-18-2021 at 11:16 AM.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2021, 09:05 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Thanks for the kind comments on my report. I enjoyed seeing your capture of the Falls from the opposite side. Quite an adventure to backpack it from Paulatuk. The caribou surrounding the tent would be unforgettable. Nicely done!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page