User Tag List

2Likes
  • 1 Post By Kid Charlemagne
  • 1 Post By xj6response

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-25-2016, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Default Aconcagua

I'm pretty sure that Aconcagua means "shitty pile of rocks" in some lost dialect of the Andes.

Went with a couple of buddies, logistics were all very straight forward. The "climb" is really just a giant hike with altitude complications. We took 10 days getting up, including 2 nights camping at around 6000 meters before summit day, so we were well acclimated and had a non-eventful trip up.

The trail itself is loose rock the whole way up, including the nearly 30km trek in to base camp. There are some beautiful views, but those are tempered by the human feces that ruin so many of the camps, and the large groups of inexperienced hikers trying to get guided up. This is certainly just a "checkmark" mountain, and real alpine beauty can be found elsewhere on the continent.

First views of the mountain hiking in

Plaza Canada

Camp Berlin - 5950M

The shadow of Aconcagua on summit day

The view from the top
Spunky likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-25-2016, 03:02 PM
High on the Mountain Top

"I'm pretty sure that Aconcagua means "shitty pile of rocks" in some lost dialect of the Andes. " hilarious ... really that ugly? Mind you, i traced one of your trips up a brushy, shitty, rocky knob at the back of Rainy River on the way to Tetrahedron. After that #$%#@&* adventure I completely trust your descriptions :-)

When did you do this trip? Seems spectacular but piles of human waste? No pits or nuthin'? ugh.

That's about, what 22,000 ft at top ... shizen! Oxygen bottles etc?

post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-25-2016, 03:14 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by xj6response View Post
"I'm pretty sure that Aconcagua means "shitty pile of rocks" in some lost dialect of the Andes. " hilarious ... really that ugly? Mind you, i traced one of your trips up a brushy, shitty, rocky knob at the back of Rainy River on the way to Tetrahedron. After that #$%#@&* adventure I completely trust your descriptions :-)

When did you do this trip? Seems spectacular but piles of human waste? No pits or nuthin'? ugh.

That's about, what 22,000 ft at top ... shizen! Oxygen bottles etc?
This trip just happened at the end of February.

There are pit toilets in base camp, but they give every climber a plastic bag to crap in above base camp. It seems like a lot of people are still choosing to "go behind a rock". The problem is, at any given camp, there are only one or two rocks big enough for the concealment, so there are literally dozens of piles of shit surrounding them. They would be wise to switch to the canister (big enough to sit on) system that Denali uses, as the canister (lined with plastic bag) is far easier to use than a plastic bag on it's own. Especially on a windy mountain. I did notice at least one of the guiding companies would set up a separate tent for their clients to use their plastic bag toilets in, well away from the cluster of sleeping tents.

I actually only saw a couple of oxygen bottles, one in base camp that a member of the Belgian army was sucking on in his first day at base camp, and another attached to a climbers pack on summit day, but not being used. But the air was very thin on summit day, people were moving very very slowly, and that's the main reason why 2/3rds of the climbers don't make the summit. You lose your breath simply bending over to tie your shoe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-25-2016, 03:49 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Charlemagne View Post
This trip just happened at the end of February.

The problem is, at any given camp, there are only one or two rocks big enough for the concealment, so there are literally dozens of piles of shit surrounding them.
That's an ecological nightmare. At that elevation, so cold and with so little humidity the decomposition of organics is a long, often incomplete process. That shit will be there a long time eventually desiccating and be blown away by wind. perfect stuff to breathe in ;-)

How you got up there, with no supplementary O2, is a feat. I'd just not function at all. I find really tough when hiking in Colorado above 11,000', Good on ya, and nifty pics
alpalmer likes this.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-25-2016, 06:31 PM
High on the Mountain Top

It's hard to tell, but by the sounds of the writeup you really didn't enjoy this trip then?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-25-2016, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectrum View Post
It's hard to tell, but by the sounds of the writeup you really didn't enjoy this trip then?
It was an awesome trip, and climbing with buds is always fun. But the mountain is what it is, crumbling rocks and skree for 4000 meters of elevation (plus all of the acclimatization days and double-carrying, it was closer to 7000 meters of ascent). So, I enjoyed that as much as one can enjoy that, but I certainly wouldn't do it a second time.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2016, 01:19 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Adventure travel

I've been twice, second time via Vacas Valley instead of normal Horcones route. Vacas is less traveled and more enjoyable. Too bad you didn't have a better experience, but I considered it more than a checkmark. Extra time spent in and around Mendoza vineyards certainly helped ;-)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cholera In Clouds 3 portrait.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	265.3 KB
ID:	121529  

Trail Talk
"Retired but not yet tired"
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2016, 01:37 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail Talk View Post
I've been twice, second time via Vacas Valley instead of normal Horcones route. Vacas is less traveled and more enjoyable. Too bad you didn't have a better experience, but I considered it more than a checkmark. Extra time spent in and around Mendoza vineyards certainly helped ;-)
I enjoyed myself, I just didn't find the mountain aesthetically pleasing, and the crowds of tourons and piles of shit didn't help.

As for Mendoza, that place is awesome. The first weekend after the mountain was the big grape harvest festival, which was a pleasant surprise. In total, I think we spent about 10 days in Mendoza before and after the trip, trying out the best it had to offer in parrilla y vino.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page