"Like sands through the hourglass...." - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2012, 09:01 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, photography,
Default "Like sands through the hourglass...."

....So are the hikes of our lives...

Ahhh what a beautiful hike! Mt. Harris, Utah sets only 900 ft above Coral Pink Sand Dunes State Park.
Close to Kanab, Utah. I started the day out in St. George Utah with a cup O' joe at my favorite little coffee shop. Then, out on the highway toward the Grand Canyon North Rim. Just past the Polygamist commuinity of Hildale Utah and Colorado City, AZ I turned off onto a little county road that was mixed asphalt and orange sand. What a pretty place.
Jimson Weed. (loco)
I got to the park and headed 5 miles along a fun dirt road (practice for when Lofty and Larryl come down next week and she gets to drive my ol truck to White Pockets!)
I am floating on top of the deep, fine sugary, orange sand until there is a large juniper right in my way. Whoah!! That was where the road ended at a cliff!! I guess I will stop here? hehe
Then, it was working my way aroung a layer 3/4 of the way to the top on what was like a mini ledge or sidewalk. Great views!!

Then, I worked my way along and got some amazing views zoomed in of Zion! Way cool!!
After that, I worked my way around the mtn to look at the sand dunes.

Oh, Christmas tree....Oh Christmas tree....
Oooooh. Pottery shards and an area where they must've done a little cooking. Note> never take pottery or ancient artifacts. I put them in a little group for a photo then placed them like pieces of a puzzle, back into their slots in the sand as I found them. Be very careful if you do handle them at all. Way cool!!! I can just imagine them sitting here and cooking. I also found a drop. Mule deer antlers.

bet ya never knew I could play the "bones"
I really had a great day!! No one out there but me on the mtn. Amazing place with wonderful views of Zion and the dunes. Seeing the pottery was awesome!
Then, I get home and set outside on my patio where I always check the seat bottoms before sitting down. People wonder why I don't camp down here.
This little black widow could have sneaked out and really ruined my day. yuck!!

May your trails be crooked, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing views ! Edward Abbey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2012, 09:04 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

I don't like....spiders and snakes....hehe
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2012, 05:03 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Photography, Nature Observation, Health & Fitness, Nutrition, Shinrin-yoku

Coral Pink Sand Dunes looks like a nice place. The sand sure stands out amongst the drab surroundings. I read that the area is also popular with ATV's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2012, 05:59 PM
High on the Mountain Top

RM, your reports create a near reflex reaction to get oneself to SoCal, Utah or AZ. Beautiful shots, great colours, lively terrain and plural marriage communities in one go . Now, how can anyone beat that? :-). I don't imagine they have a cold beer and wine shop in that polygamist town though?

Do you by any chance produce GPX or KMZ files, perhaps using Everytrail or some other app on a smart phone or GPS? I would truly enjoy getting such files from you to import into Google Earth. It would be great to look at your routes in 3D and get some deeper perspective on these awesome treks.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2012, 07:44 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Fun stuff! [^]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2012, 07:49 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by xj6response
Do you by any chance produce GPX or KMZ files, perhaps using Everytrail or some other app on a smart phone or GPS? I would truly enjoy getting such files from you to import into Google Earth. It would be great to look at your routes in 3D and get some deeper perspective on these awesome treks.
X2 please. Enjoy the reports.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2012, 08:38 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Women

So glad this wasn't more drama in here, according to the subject lol.
Another great report and great finds. You know if you started tapping them antlers together you might of spotted some deer. But wait a second, is there such thing as deer in that neck of the woods? In the desert?

post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2012, 02:49 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

You bet, Solo! I rarely find the desert drab, though. Don't know why. I have had people tell me it's WASTELAND!! all of it. I flew with a guy who looked out the window
and said what a God forsaken land. Who could ever want to go down there. This was right before I saw an area I wanted to hike in. hehe. You're right about the ATV popularity. Lots of ATV activity there on the dunes. I wouldn't have been able to walk on it on a Saturday. Too many sand crawlers. Looks kind of peaceful on a Wednesday. I have no problem with 4 wheelers, though. Some times they are the best way to cause the least impact on going into the wilderness. Larger vehicles bog down. And, with no water, I can't walk 100 miles. I am all for responsible access. There are ways to view the Grand Canyon, for example. Tour buses, trams, trains, helicopter rides, and licensed road ready vehicles.
Then, we get down to bicycles, hikers, and rented mules. There are different levels of access for each visitor. I like it that way.

Hi, XJ6! Great place! Nope, no wine or beer. Then, in Fredonia, AZ there are a couple bars and liquor store. But, not in Utah. We have to go to a state store. Also, the beer is watered down or near beer. But, Colorado City has a great dairy. Ahhhh squeaky cheese...yummm I don't use a cell phone. My wife will get the new I-Phone this Christmas.
I use a Garmin GPS to make like easier, out there. I usually just gps my start and look at it to see how far I am. But, no apps. My Iced tea was boiling hot when I got back to the truck. I have little cell service out here, in most places. I don't want or use a cell. My wife and son got me one and it kept going to sleep mode because the battery was frying.
Then, I forget I have it and jump into a lake or waterfall and get it soaked. I ruined two of them and won't get another. I LOVE being not tethered to the rest of the world when I am out there. My wife knows the area I am at and we don't talk til I get home. I don't even know how to text. h'heee... Wish I could help ya out. I am glad you are interested in where I hike and be able to see it in 3d. I use a great thing for hiking called pictometry.
It is not sattelite. It is aireal photography and is awesome!!! I can tell if I mowed my lawn that day or not and it blows google earth to hell and back as far as what I can see.
it is used to tax properties and such. They can look from the air into your backyard and tax your shed, pool, business vehicles hiding in the back of your business, etc. Measure exact sq. yardage of bldgs and I use it for hiking. It only goes so many miles away from a taxable settlement. No tax base properties and there is no need. So, I am limited to that.

Hello, Piika!! Thought I would practice getting the ol truck out on sandy roads since Lofty and Larryl are on their way down here to stay a few days with me. We're going to Lofty's to do list of the Paria Wilderness area and White Pockets. Deep deep sand. I'll have to take my truck tires down to about 11 pounds of pressure. If it drifts shut, well,
depending on how bad she wants to see it, I have a couple shovels for us to dig our way through and some traction skids to lie down and some carpet remnants. hehe

Hi, Cutthroat! I've lived here 15 years and have yet to go fishing for cutthroat.
I know I am missing out. Just to durn hot down here on the northern edge of the Mojave.
I've got to get up north one day just for that. I have drank Utah's cut throat ale, though....[^]
Going hiking tomorrow to an area west of town overlooking the Res.... I have a friend who saw a bearded dragon out there. I will have to see. Supposed to be a huge, black lizard.
I think he was setting too long in the sun...

Hi, Aces! Oh, there was some excitement. I was at the dunes toward sundown and this absolutely beautiful foreign girl was there in a bright canary, yellow dress with long legs and a camera crew for a photo shoot? Blood pressure went up. I was going to take some pictures, but thought it would be too crass. Don't see models in the desert like that, too often. That dress was the yellowest I have ever seen a dress be. Definitely out of place in my desert rat world.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2012, 03:14 PM
Summit Master

Interest: hiking,swimming,anything on the water or outside.Try almost anything once

Sure glad that juniper was there to stop you Jerry!!!
What a cool hood you live in mister!!!

Your very welcome,and it made my day to hear you kept those balloons!!![:I][8D]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2012, 03:25 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Fascinating and Beautiful photography of the landscapes and the cactus plants. Never get tired on these scenes; someday hope to visit you and see these up close. Last month's shock at air rates wore off; thank you for your info and advice.

K
post #11 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 10:30 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Thanks, No Q! I had to laugh when I was keeping my rpm's up on my tires through the deep sandy track and was flooring it at only going 5 miles per hour. Should have taken my tire pressure down to around 10 pounds of pressure for the sand. It works wonders.
So, I am serpantining...is that even a word? ....along, fat, dumb, and happy as I like to go through life and whoah!! This juniper was right around the next bend as I felt like I was in a bobsled. wheeeee...w'w'whheeeee....holy sh** I locked it up and slid to the right and into a small group of rocks. If it had been night, I would have hit the tree for sure.
Or, if I had swerved to the left, I would have been a goner. Would have looked like one of those chase scenes where the vehicle goes over the cliff and explodes on impact. kaboooom!!
I love seeing the old native American Indian stuff whenever I come upon it. I try to imagine what it was like a thousand years ago. They were standing right where I was, looking up into the same sky and it was probably a temporary hunting camp. I have a friend who got to see a very rare baby cradle made out of deer horns many years ago before the antiquities act. He said there was still remnants of rotted hide tied onto the horns which were locked together to form a baby infant cradle. How sweet. What a life they must have had; living off of the land and watching all the seasons change and embracing each one by drinking the drinks, eating the foods of each.

Hello, karvitk!! There are so so many places to check out when you do get down this way.
But, no hurry. It's not going anywhere...hehe I may take Larryl and Lofty out to my favorite haunt to gather some petrified wood for some souvenirs. Hope they can take it back across the border. hmmm.... I have a permit for 25 lbs per day. I will give them a copy of the permit. They make great magnets for the fridge. I will see if they want to gather some.
I think I would take you up on top of the Virgin River Rim Trail; the headwaters of the 7 fingers of Zion. Strawberry point, 10,000 ft elevation walking amongst the quakies and bristlecone pines. (the ancient ones) Unless the snow flies. The views into Zion from way up top are spectacular. Bottlebrush pines are something to behold. they are super old.
Right now, I was just up there and the aspens aren't changing yet. they are getting that amber glow to the green that takes the leaves from dark green to a mellow yellow that begins a strange out of color glow. In two or three weeks, it will be ON!! but, it is very pretty in the late spring and summer, too.
post #12 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 10:33 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Women

Wow, so you did find gold

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page