Red Rock, NV & Zion, UT, climbing - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-31-2011, 11:26 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Default Red Rock, NV & Zion, UT, climbing

Jerry (Rented Mule), as per your request, here are some of the pictures from my climbing trip in Red Rock, Nevada (BCMC trip) and Zion, Utah. Enjoy.

Calico:

Conservation - Scenic Route climbing:

Rappelling down after climbing:

On route:

Climbing near Highway 159

Camping:

Red Rock

Zion

Hiking West Rim trail

Angel's Landing after climbing Prodigal Sun:

I'll definitely go back to both places to do more climbing. I was a bit under the weather in Red Rock, but was much better in Zion (cooler). Also need some offset stoppers to climb in Zion.
Code:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-01-2011, 05:51 AM
Summit Master

Location: Finally stopping that crazy suffering that is ice, climbing to concentrate on great ski tours!, .
Interest: Anything that can drag me to the mountains. Backpacking is #1, followed by climbing, dayhiking and camping with family.

Jealous!!!!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-01-2011, 06:52 AM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Beautiful pictures Larry. Good to know Jerry is well.

K
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-02-2011, 07:38 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Angel's Landing sound like the place to go..nice photos...Yvonne
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2012, 11:15 AM
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, photography,

Thanks, Larry!! awesome place. I am going to go back there pretty soon. I have a friend who takes amazing professional photos of Zion and he told me of a secret spot to take a picture of the whole Walter's wiggles area, from a perch up high and little known. I want to take someone for a hike into and up Coal Pits wash. Went alone and got out at 10 pm and it was serious cougar country. yeesh!! scary. the mtn on the left is called cougar mtn and the rangers say yup.. it is properly named and there is no access unless you climb up the thing that has a nasty lip on it. They say stay out. It's ok to go, but it is definitely cougar country. why disturb their habitat and move them? I agree. so, I want ot go with someone and sneak up the crack at Coal Pits all the way to the top of the saddle and see the amazing views into the back of Zion canyon. Come om back down. Great to have you!! thanks for the pictures. Wendy and I just looked again at the little movie you made of our little weener dawg Mocha Jo. She saved it and loves it. Thanks for the Olympic glasses and the Tim Horton's We use them every day!! I owe you one!! thanks for your patience and knowledge. Always nice to see ya. cheers! jerry Don't work so hard. Take a break. hehe
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2012, 08:47 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Thanks for bumping this up Jerry. They are great photos.

K
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-26-2012, 10:32 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Thanks Jerry. Here is water (and lots of it) for you, since they need water in the desert in southern Utah.

Here is a picture from the Apron of the Chief in Squamish that you like so much. We were anchoring off a tree and taking a break from climbing, so I took a picture of Squamish using the iPhone.

Leimrod or Spring can put an arrow on the picture to show you where they live.

Code:

post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-26-2012, 11:35 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by larryl

Leimrod or Spring can put an arrow on the picture to show you where they live.
lol. You'd need to point your camera further north.

Nice TR. What kind of grades where you climbing on this trip?

Most dry evenings we're out climbing in Squamish at the Smoke Bluffs (mostly TR up to 5.10a, which equates to Trad 5.4 ) What climb did you do on the Apron?

post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2012, 12:17 AM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:
lol. You'd need to point your camera further north.

Nice TR. What kind of grades where you climbing on this trip?

Most dry evenings we're out climbing in Squamish at the Smoke Bluffs (mostly TR up to 5.10a, which equates to Trad 5.4 ) What climb did you do on the Apron?

5.7 to 5.9, all Trad. Prodigal Sun up Angel's Landing is rated 5.7 but felt harder, more like 5.9 at the crux. I just led the easy pitches.

The picture you posted looks like a classic climb in Neat and Cool. We were either doing Diedre or Banana Peel when I took that picture of Squamish.

Several weeks ago, we were climbing Banana Peel and started late. About 8:30 pm, we decided to rappel down. Two pitches from the bottom and getting dark, we were setting the rap station, my young climbing partners were thinking about singing this song:

(Fun.: We are young)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sv6dMFF_yts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGZuuVoI6-Y

I am waiting for a granny to sing this song at her 100th birthday.

Code:

post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2012, 12:18 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by larryl

The picture you posted looks like a classic climb in Neat and Cool. We were either doing Diedre or Banana Peel when I took that picture of Squamish.
Yeah it's the awesome Layback Flake (5.9) at Neat and Cool. Great area to get some climbs in after work. Easy to set up a TR and dries fast. It was actually lightly spitting rain in that photo but the rock just absorbs it.

I want to do Dierdre this year. Just building a rack atm and looking for some gracious trad leaders who want to take me up. Once I've followed it once I'd like to then lead it.

post #11 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2012, 05:09 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Quote:
quote:I want to do Diedre this year. Just building a rack atm and looking for some gracious trad leaders who want to take me up. Once I've followed it once I'd like to then lead it.
No need:
http://www3.telus.net/public/7394243...on/diedre.html

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page