The East Coast Trail & Impressions of Newfoundland - Page 2 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of (permalink) Old 07-04-2011, 10:55 AM Thread Starter
Off the Beaten Path

@The Hiker: Thanks a lot. You'd have a field day with your camera. I know I did...

@Bry: Definitely surprise your wife with the lunch at Ferryland, you'll make big points! I'd be glad to help if you have any questions as you're planning your trip. The Stan Cook kayaking tour (Cape Broyle) and O'Brian's boat tour (Bay Bulls) are both great half-day activities. I know your shutter will be busy too.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of (permalink) Old 07-04-2011, 10:56 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Location: Ask me next week, British Columbia, sometimes., Canada.
Interest: Hiking, soccer, hockey, running, photography, dogs, camping, environmental protection.

Fantastic wildlife photography, thanks for posting.
post #18 of (permalink) Old 07-04-2011, 12:56 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Spending time with my man and family, relaxing with good friends and good food, hiking, paddling,

Beautiful! Yet another place to add to my "bucket list". Thanks for sharing.

Cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of (permalink) Old 07-04-2011, 04:47 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Dav thanks for posting pictures of my homeland, i miss newfieland so much. I don't think I'm making it back this year. =( (first time in 5 years)You got to see a lot of the island, but there is so much more to see. The west coast gives you more options, the weather is much better and Gros Morne is sick. If u make it back to st.john's area again put The Spout and Stiles Cove on the list for the east coast trail. (Doesnt O'Brian's Tours bring you there??) I'm slowly doing a bit at a time. La manche provincial park past witless bay is another great spot, the falls are so nice and the water is great for swimming. Thanks again for posting pictures i love all of them.

3) Danny Williams may very well surpass Great Big Sea and Jesus on the popularity meter out there. Danny Williams is captain Newfie, he done more for newfoundland then anyone in the past 100 years.
post #20 of (permalink) Old 07-04-2011, 08:58 PM Thread Starter
Off the Beaten Path

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sparkes

Dav thanks for posting pictures of my homeland, i miss newfieland so much. I don't think I'm making it back this year. =( (first time in 5 years)You got to see a lot of the island, but there is so much more to see. The west coast gives you more options, the weather is much better and Gros Morne is sick. If u make it back to st.john's area again put The Spout and Stiles Cove on the list for the east coast trail. (Doesnt O'Brian's Tours bring you there??) I'm slowly doing a bit at a time. La manche provincial park past witless bay is another great spot, the falls are so nice and the water is great for swimming. Thanks again for posting pictures i love all of them.

3) Danny Williams may very well surpass Great Big Sea and Jesus on the popularity meter out there. Danny Williams is captain Newfie, he done more for newfoundland then anyone in the past 100 years.
It's easy to understand how you miss home, it's a great place. Every Newfie speaks of "home" with such pride. Glad you enjoyed the pictures. I'll send you an email so you can download them from my site in hi-resolution if you want to.

I think O'Brian's tour skipped the spout because we were following a humpback pretty close, and the whale was pretty cooperative. Maybe they go there if the marine life isn't so plentiful.

I look forward to doing Gros Morne and the west side. It's too much to pack into one trip, so we will anticipate returning before too long. Until then, I'll keep watching the seat sales to Deer Lake!

post #21 of (permalink) Old 07-04-2011, 09:00 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Photography, Nature Observation, Health & Fitness, Nutrition, Shinrin-yoku

Nfld is quite a spectacular province...nice photos.
post #22 of (permalink) Old 07-04-2011, 09:17 PM
Banned

Beautiful... but your photography could probably make Hell look inviting.... Brings back a few memories. Nicely done.
post #23 of (permalink) Old 07-05-2011, 08:06 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Thanks dav1481 for the report. It is a truly wonderful place and you captured the feeling of it in your words and with you camera very well. Brought back memories of my trip back in 2003. Wrote a story about it for CT although my pictures do not hold a candle to yours.

https://www.clubtread.com/articledetail.aspx?ID=28

Hope to get back there within the next couple of years to do more of the East Coast Trail and Gros Morne - because everyone I met on the Rock told me if I wanted to see some REAL scenery that was the place I had to go.

I have friends that have been recently. They found the best way to go was with Westjet via Edmonton, because of all the people working the oil patch, there are regular non-stop flights to St. John's. Something to consider.

post #24 of (permalink) Old 07-05-2011, 08:59 PM
Headed for the Mountains

That is an awesome trip report. Enjoyed reading that.
post #25 of (permalink) Old 07-05-2011, 10:28 PM Thread Starter
Off the Beaten Path

Thanks so much to everyone for the nice comments.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Pathfinder

Thanks dav1481 for the report. It is a truly wonderful place and you captured the feeling of it in your words and with you camera very well. Brought back memories of my trip back in 2003. Wrote a story about it for CT although my pictures do not hold a candle to yours.

https://www.clubtread.com/articledetail.aspx?ID=28

Hope to get back there within the next couple of years to do more of the East Coast Trail and Gros Morne - because everyone I met on the Rock told me if I wanted to see some REAL scenery that was the place I had to go.

I have friends that have been recently. They found the best way to go was with Westjet via Edmonton, because of all the people working the oil patch, there are regular non-stop flights to St. John's. Something to consider.
I like your iceberg shots, that's something that would have been really neat to see! We took a 8:45 pm flight out of Edmonton; the plane had started in Fort McMurray, and we stopped briefly in Calgary before overnighting to St. John's. I liked the red-eye, we got in at 8 am so I didn't feel like I lost any time on the plane. Way better to go direct from Alberta than to stop in Toronto or something.

I heard so much about Gros Morne while I was there, but I have a feeling that there are some places in Labrador that are just as spectacular, and less traveled. It's definitely worth a return visit to that area regardless.
post #26 of (permalink) Old 07-05-2011, 10:33 PM Thread Starter
Off the Beaten Path

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Candy Sack

Beautiful... but your photography could probably make Hell look inviting.... Brings back a few memories. Nicely done.
I just noticed I was on post #666 when you wrote that! [}] Thanks
post #27 of (permalink) Old 07-05-2011, 10:47 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Well done! Beautifull pic's those puffin's are a very unusual looking bird for Canada they almost appear tropical. I have been looking for a multiple day hike on the east coast and will have to do some investigating of this trail. Thanks for the TR.
post #28 of (permalink) Old 07-06-2011, 05:28 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Excellent trip report and your pictures are stunning, as always. What a beautiful corner of the country. I was there once when I was sixteen. Pub to pub hiking. I wish we had that in the Rockies.Thanks for posting
post #29 of (permalink) Old 07-06-2011, 03:28 PM Thread Starter
Off the Beaten Path

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by lobo

Pub to pub hiking. I wish we had that in the Rockies.
Lol, seems like something that would be right up your alley. "Trekking" seems take on many forms throughout the world, doesn't it? Not all of them are as rustic as what we have in our Rockies.

post #30 of (permalink) Old 07-06-2011, 03:44 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: fishing, downhill/x-country skiing,hiking/backpacking, canoeing, snowshoing

Gee Davin, I just passed this trip report over thinking it was from your trip out that way from a couple years ago! I love how the houses are stacked along the cliff walls and painted so many different colors. I could see Erin's face as the "loud" couple carried on upstairs! LOL!!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page