East coast of Australia - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-14-2011, 10:34 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Default East coast of Australia

While in Australia March 22- April 12 visiting my daughter and family (first g'baby) I had the opportunity to go on a pub ride April 2-3, yes 5 hours to the local pub by horse! So very Australian! We passed through the rain forest region of the Bellrowan Valley district in N.S.W. ending at the local pub in Beechwood. A couple of adult beverages and then a taste testing tour of the Post Masters port. He also had a bit of a museum there and some of the original post office mailers. Then we were sent back to the pub for a nice dinner before being driven back to the ranch house for the night. The horses spent the night at the pub, we picked them back up in the morning to ride another 5 hours back to the ranch via a different route.
The weather was great and the horses fresh enough to be fun to ride.
I had 3 weeks only so a very quick trip, my daughter and her family live in Bonnyhills about a 5 min. walk to the beach. While I was there they had a wedding to attend so I had a weekend free to ride to the pub with the Bellrowan Valley trail riding. Mark and Julie run a small, fun trail ride ranch. Not much for wildlife while out on the ride but kangaroos and lizards... I found it difficult to snap photos from the back of my horse!
The direct flight between Vancouver and Sydney has made this trip so much easier. The treat was coming home to a hot pizza and cold bevvies Tues. evening!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-15-2011, 05:25 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Making gear, Customizing gear, Hiking about, Hammocking, Prospecting,Sasquatch Hunting, I also like to read

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mtnlioness

Not much for wildlife while out on the ride but kangaroos and lizards

The direct flight between Vancouver and Sydney has made this trip so much easier. The treat was coming home to a hot pizza and cold bevvies Tues. evening!
Yeah thats bout it for wildlife other then fellas down at the local.

That flight is fantastic. 14ish hours and your home!

Looks like a great fun trip.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-15-2011, 11:21 AM
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, photography,

you must have a close loving family to put up with each other for three weeks? wow!!
I know Australia is a huge country, but were you anywhere near the horrific flooding?
I've never met an Auzzie that I didn't like. In the Navy, they treated us US sailors golden.
I couldn't even imagine having a grandbaby. It must be wonderful. My only son isn't very interested in marriage. He loves his sportscars and antique cars and is married to his work.
sigh.....someday maybe.
Nice pictures. Love horses. But, they make my eyes so red and I can't stop sneezing around em.
So, what season was it down under? Were they just finishing up summer? and going into fall?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-15-2011, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

LOL ah ya family time! but a grand baby makes it real easy to play nice! however this is why the pub ride was such fun though! Yes, Australia is just going into early fall and the area where my daughter is has had more rain than usual but nothing like further north, like 5 hours north. According to Aussies, this area is the best place weather wise to live so she has enjoyed some really great summers and cooler winters there.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-15-2011, 10:27 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Making gear, Customizing gear, Hiking about, Hammocking, Prospecting,Sasquatch Hunting, I also like to read

Yeah well into Autumn here with a the temps taking dangerous dives into the high teens. Ugg boots and winter jackets are out of the closets now!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2011, 08:56 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking, biking, running, kayaking, scrambling, snowshoeing, backpacking and ice-skating.

How fun! I'm not familiar with the towns you listed even though I spent 6 weeks in NSW 7 yrs ago. Do you remember driving through Coffs Harbour? Is the Bellrowan Valley the area where Dorrigo is? Looks and sounds like you had a fabulous time! Wasn't aware of the direct flights to Sydney now... good to hear! Thanks for posting.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2011, 11:46 AM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Nice going .. to get out on horseback and travel the country a bit.

Sweet !

K
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2011, 08:56 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Kanike .. Coffs Harbour is north of Bonnyhills which is a bedroom community of Port Macquarie. I was through there a few years ago when I went up to Coolangatta. Bellrowan Valley is inland about an hour from the coast, Beechwood is tiny hamlet in the hinterland. It was just by luck that I happened onto information for the ride in a tourist magazine at my daughter's work and the timing worked.
Even though there is a direct flight from Vancouver to Sydney it is still a very long way to go for 3 weeks! I might be sorted day to night now!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page