Hiking in a picture - Yukon's Tombstone Park - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2009, 12:00 PM Thread Starter

Default Hiking in a picture - Yukon's Tombstone Park

Our annual fall trip was up. Should we go fishing for Cohos again? naaa, we decided, the salmon need a break and so do we - Lets go backpacking in the Tombstones instead!

Both of us had been to Grizzly, Divide, and Talus Lake before they became more popular (a tent-limit is now in effect) and we were ready to explore the back country a bit more. Studying maps we planned to do a bit of a loop, hiking in along Foxy Creek, then turning south following the Blackstone River before aiming for Syenite Pass; up and over it to the old Flume Intake, then along Tombstone River to Talus and Divide Lake and out via the Klondike Valley/ Tombstone Campground.

Our route research provided mediocre results and we copied an (outdated) map out of W. Lanzs book Along the Dempster. (Few) bits of information suggested 7 nights. So 7 nights we packed for and off we went with our 50-55 lbs backpacks on Aug 25th, 2009.

After driving some 5+ hours from Whitehorse and now motoring up the Dempster Hwy. things got quiet in the truck where the heck were the bl_ _dy colours? We had been looking at nothing but greenish-yellow tree attire -and much faded at that- (compliments of a tiny moth that discovered Yukon a few years ago, stayed like the rest of us, but does not believe in leave no trace!&^[email protected]#%$#!) However, at around KM 50 the scenery changed dramatically and a fall-medley of bright reds, greens, yellows and white lichen got us excited. It reminded us of something...oh yes, the paint job in R&Ss new house! Anyway, great timing!

That night we got our (free) permits for camping on Talus & Divide Lake. We also left a trip intentions form with the Park Staff, only to learn that they are not (yet) set up for sign in/out and do not initiate overdue rescues. We were told to arrange it with the RCMP or a friend, which at this point would have meant a 72 km trip back to the next telephone...so please keep that in mind.

The Tombstone Campground was fairly busy and it didnt take long before a German couple agreed to give us a ride to the trail head the next morning. Unfortunately, we overshot it by following Lanzs map to KM 92 and ended up walking back on the Hwy. for 2 km. (It is a horse camp right next to Foxy Creek that you want to be looking for.) At last we were on the trail and a good (horse) trail it was, easy to follow and dry. By the time we reached Auston Pass sporadic sun highlighted the colourful hillsides and after spotting a family of 5 wolves and then hearing them howl we were happily slogging away with a perma-grin on our faces.

To our surprise we were able to pick up the horse trail most of the time through Blackstone Valley, which turned out to be great for camping and spotting caribou. There are many stream crossings, though we were happy to walk right through, boots on nall, something weve learned (on the Dusky Track) in New Zealand. Its really not so bad and a lot faster and safer, especially if you wear gaiters (highly recommended).

We made good time and reached Syenite Lakes a day early. The hike past Hammer Lake is very pretty and the jagged mountain ridges are just a taste of whats to come on the other side of Syenite Pass!!

Day 4 started with a very careful climb over the short but steep boulder pass. It was drizzling a bit and the very slippery rocks became a bit intimidating. Once on top an amazingly serrated ridge blended in and out of the clouds and made for a fabulous mood. A rather easy descend on a much gentler slope leading to a 7m high pingo added to it. What country!

Here the ground was very soft, spongy and wet but the view and a mostly downhill trudge had us look forward to the next camp it said in Lanzs book there were two possible campsites at the old flume intake (which provided the Klondike dredges with power and water for hydraulic gold mining)...

What we envisioned was no more than a semi-flat 7x7 spot for our tent, but finding as little as that became a real challenge. No flume intake (debris), nor any non-vegetated spots were to be found, even after bush whacking past the confluence and circling for an hour. Eventually we continued hiking east and followed an occasional moose trail along the river high up and down below over many river rocks, trees, brush, more rocks...two possible campsites???!hmm??? We lucked out to find a camp site on a rock outcrop steeply up from the river with a flat spot halfway under a tree and enough dry branches around us to feel very comfy beside a tiny fire.

The spot provided quite the view towards Mt Monolith and Tombstone in the distance and made up for the frustration of the previous hour(s). We dried our clothes, ate lots of carbs, had hot coco with butterscotch schnapps and slumbered like logs. It's when it takes so little and is so simple that life is especially good!

Little did we know that 8 hours bush-and-alder-whacking and tender-footing-it-over-many-a-slippery-scree-field-slog lay ahead of us the next day. We crossed the Tombstone River early and stayed on the south side (try the other side, it can only be better) TIP: we learned that moose trails are mostly close to the river (but not always).

Lanzs book suggested 6 hours from the Flume to Talus Lake...well, we were very tired and getting cold at that time and pulled up under a boulder at Mt Tombstone. Our GPS showed another 2 miles/2 hrs to go (this section turned out to be slightly less strenuous). Once we reached the lower end of Tombstone Pass we followed a well treaded path which was marked with green flagging tape!

Although it was overcast and slightly drizzling (white mountain tops in AM), we had a great time at both Talus and Divide Lake. Except for 2 fellow hikers arriving late the area was deserted. The new tent platforms are great, however the make-shift kitchen platforms with an ill-fitting tarpaulin thrown over it makes one wonder why bother at all. One cannot stand up nor sit down in it and the wind blows the tarp around making it very crowded even for a very small group. Surely a similar kitchen shelter as found on the 'Chilkoot Trail' would serve the cause better? After all the best way to prevent people from cooking on the tent platforms is to make it a [u]usable</u> space. If it is a matter of cost a call for volunteers could make up for the difference. Speaking of cost...a humungous "all-green" visitor center has been build just before the Tombstone Campground. Unfortunately the road was closed and we couldn't visit, although it was officially opened in August 09.

Weve assumed that the once hard-to-find horse trail through the Klondike Valley is now more used and easier to find and it is so. It is still a bit difficult to pick up the trail once in a while and we stuck to the rule to stick close(r) to the river whenever we lost the trail, which proved ok.

Its a longish very wet slog, but nevertheless its mostly a trail - something that deserves appreciation. It took us 6 hours to hike out, with really good and bad sections alike.

However, we couldnt help thinking about New Zealands trail systems and the way the Department of Conservation has been preserving pristine trails. One way of doing it is to keep people on an unobtrusively MARKED trail/route similar to Grizzly Valley. Thanks to the Tr'ondk Hwch'in people this is a new park and special area that needs special protection. So why let people tread all over the fragile tundra, instead of flagging a designated route?!? Again, this could be done through volunteers if not rangers, who very frequently fly into the camps and hike out. What a great place this is and what a great opportunity to keep an almost ready-for-mining-area as something much more precious in this time and age: a true wilderness. A true wilderness area does not contain ATV tracks, but designates routes for low-impact traveling. People who have an interest to see it will hike it, promote it, and ultimately preserve it for the enjoyment & benefit of all. Over time New Zealand converted its former deer hunting trails into a tramping (hiking) system. It is now a great source of income put back into New Zealand's natural and historic heritage (e.g. conserving and expanding a fantastic hut-to-hut system). We could learn from them. http://www.doc.govt.nz/about-doc/

PS: We didn't encounter any bears (or moose) on the entire trip. We saw lots of moose droppings, but no signs of bear activities whatsover. The one and only fresh pile of bear poo was just past the signs, which are about 1-2 km from the Tombstone Territorial Campground...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2009, 12:44 PM
Off the Beaten Path

I'm cleaning the drool off my keyboard . I love seeing trip reports from this region; it's nice to see some different approaches to Tombstone.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2009, 01:11 PM
Headed for the Mountains

wow, absolutely stunning landscape. I'm looking forward to the day I can find the time/money to make it up north.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2009, 01:11 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Spending time with my man and family, relaxing with good friends and good food, hiking, paddling,

WOW!!! Amazing trip, beautiful colors. Love fall hiking. Thank you for sharing.

Cheers!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2009, 02:33 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Exploring the Coast Mountains and surrounding ocean waters in all seasons.

Keep those reports coming, peekay. Beautiful photographs and enough text to give context. Enjoyed this TR immensely!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2009, 08:39 PM
DW2
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: travel/ hike/camp/ backpack/canoe/ photography/ snowshoeing/x-country ski

Very nice! Good memories of our trip there a few years back. We plan to go up north again next year. Your beautiful pics of the Tombstone fall colours is incentive for a return visit.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2009, 08:58 AM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Uh... hiking? :P I love love love the outdoors. And I like shiny things. Been hiking, mostly solo, for over 20 years. You might assume that makes me antisocial. And you would be right *g* Climbed rock and ice and mountains for many years too...

I've always wanted to go there and now you have seriously rekindled my interest. Awesome TR and pics. Thanks for sharing!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2009, 11:20 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Hiking, Fishing, Hunting, Bee Keeping, and Wine Making

Very cool report and nice photos, it really gives me the itch to go up there again. I am very surprised that you did not run into any bears. A couple years back I went into the Richardson Mountains up there for a couple of weeks and ran into more than a dozen bears with scary results. That trip is documented on this site if you want to check it out.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2009, 07:41 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Amazing country! Lee and I may just do a trip up there next august to ... hike...

Walter Lanz was up there this past August updating his book.

When he first made that book NOBODY went hiking in there, the park service even used it as a reference when they started managing it!

He worked for Highways and when he asked the locals about hiking in there they just looked at him funny and asked him why would he want to go in there? There's nothing there?

Exactly...
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2009, 08:40 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: hiking, photography, hockey, camping, snowboarding

Oh wow what an amazing place. Beautiful colors and scenerey.
Fantastic photography.
Hopefuly this wilderness is kept pristine.
I very much enjoyed your views and the information you included in this report.
Thank You.
post #11 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2009, 09:06 AM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: photography, craft beer

Amazing landscape. I've been wanting to explore that area for a while now. This just gives me more motivation to do that. The pictures are incredible, such different landscape than here in BC
post #12 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2009, 07:09 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: snowboarding, photography, hiking, guitar

i was in the yukon all summer and wish id been able to stay long enough to see the buckbrush turn colour...

to anyone who hasnt been - go. read service's "the spell of the yukon", and go.
post #13 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2009, 11:04 PM
Summit Master

Name drop - whenever I see a tombstones TR I've been forwarding it to walter. He's always so pleased to see people out there enjoying these beautiful places and so stoked that his book is useful. No real point other then to say thanks for all those pictures and the descriptions
post #14 of (permalink) Old 09-21-2009, 07:26 PM
CWF
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Hiking, backpacking, travel, reading, movies, cooking, drinking wine, eating.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Andrew Strain

to anyone who hasnt been - go. read service's "the spell of the yukon", and go.
It's the beauty that thrills me with wonder,
It's the stillness that fills me with peace.

http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/The_Spell_of_the_Yukon
post #15 of (permalink) Old 09-22-2009, 09:43 AM Thread Starter

Thank you for all of your comments. It's nice to get such enthusiastic feedback!

Yes, it is amazing country and that's why we will make this an annual trip. Our plan for next year is to explore Bompass Creek and/or Azure Lake. Perhaps there is another pass into Tombstone Valley ?!? Possibly less whacking and more climbing - there is only one way to find out...

Happy trails!!

P&C

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page