Annapurna Circuit Trek/Nepal Himalaya - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-22-2008, 02:59 AM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Interest: hiking adventure,Make hiking companions.
Default Annapurna Circuit Trek/Nepal Himalaya

Annapurna Circuit Trek / Nepal Himalaya

I have hiked solo the Annapurna Circuit Trek in Nepal Himalaya for 15 days( Oct.17-31.2008) independently, stayed and eaten in lodges, hired a porter, the trek distance 200km from the trail head Bhulbhule(830m) through Thorung La Pass (5,416m /17,769ft) the highest to Naya Pul(1,070m).

*I had suddenly changed my trekking destination from Everest Base Camp (5,360m) in Nepal to Annapurna Circuit not compulsory transport by aircraft as a small plane had crash-landed October 08, 2008 at Lukla Airport the gateway to Nepal's Everest.It is one of the world's most dangerous airports and compulsory stop for anyone wishing to travel there.

*cost: a)daily expense-1) porter:U$10/day 2) lodge:250RP(U$3.5/))single room or twin bed room) 3) food :U$14(350Rpx3 times)

(the Civil War is over,the King was stepped down,good news or bad news?,anyway there is now no more Maoist Extortion taxes from trekker on the trail check point )

*transport:a) by Air :1)vancouver to seoul return 2) Seoul to Kathmandu return
b) by taxi: Thamel(down town) to local bus terminal in kathmandu c)by public van :bus terminal in Kathmandu to Besisahar d)by public jeep: Besisahar-- Bhulbhule(trail head)

*Weather(temperature):1) daylight on all the trail; fall(15-25.degree Cescious) 2) night- all the trail:+5 ~ -5
(except:from Thorong Phedi to Thorong Pass in night/ end Oct.: -10 around)

*Gearsmandatory)Walking boots( semi backpacking boots is better in my case)
Rucksack
Sleeping bag (4 seasons)
Warm jacket (Ideally a duck down jacket)
Gloves (It's cold on the Thorung La,)
Warm hat which covers your ears (For the Kali Gandaki and Thorung La - it's windy)
1 roll of toilet paper. You can buy more on the way.
Sunglasses (vital)
Sun cream
Headtorch
Base ball cap or broad brim hat to keep the sun off
* Dust Mask; Public passenger jeep and strong wind make often big dust on the road combined trail.

*hire a porter:Be sure anyone you hire has written references. A personal referral is even better.
I would have known most good porter has lean body shape,my previous porter hasn't and hassled me,quited himself on the way,then I hired excellent lean body porter to replace him.

** The Annapurna Circuit is the popular name of a 300 kilometre trek in Nepal around the Annapurna mountain range in the Himalayas. The trek starting in Khudi and ending in Pokhara encircling the Annapurna massif is popularly regarded as the best of Nepal's classic mountain treks. The trail follows Marshyangdi valley to Manang, crosses snow covered Thorung La pass (5430 m.), passes Muktinath, an important site of Hindu pilgrimages, and returns to Pokhara via Kali Gandaki river gorge. Kali Gandaki gorge is considered the world's deepest river gorge, carved by the Kali Gandaki as it slices its way between the Annapurna and Dhaulagiri massifs. The trek follows ancient paths used as trade routes between Nepal and Tibet.
The unusually wide range of climatic zones in such a small area as the path ascends from 900 metres to 5,300 metres provides a chance to see many different plants and animals and the different ways of life of the many peoples who live there. Here are contrasts between the green terraced farmland of the Marshyangdi valley, the semi-arid environs of Lower Mustang, and the alpine areas of Thorung La.**

Day1: 10/17/2008: Kathmandu---Bhulbhule(830m)--- Bahudandan(1,311m)

1) Local Bus Terminal in Kathmandu: There is not any sign about bus terminal and parking lot. 2,3) street view from in a taxi in Kathmandu capital city of Nepal. 4) stayed at $3/single room/night an inn in kathmandu. 5) The rice terraces near Bahundanda.

Day2 :10/18/2008 :Bahudandan(1,311m)--- Chamje(1,433m)

1) The way to go following the Marsyandi river.
2) A Nepali couple are managing a lodge with restautrant in Chamje : very nice and delicious food
3) Mule train on the suspension bridge over Marsyandi river near chamje

Day3 :10/19/2008:Chamje(1,433m)--- Dharapani(1,860m)

1-5) After a steep walk the valley opens near Tal

Day4 :10/20/2008: Dharapani(1,860m)--- Chame(2,713m)

1) Crossing the suspension bridge in Karte. 2) The Tibetan village of Karte 3) Lunch spot in Timang 4) Mt.Manaslu(8,162m) from Timang 5) Mt.Lamjung Himal(6,932m) from a lodge in Chame

Day5:10/21/2008: Chame(2,713m)---Pisang(3,173m)

1) Mt.Lamjung Himal(6,932m) 2)Mt. Annapurna 2(7,937m) from Lunch spot near Pisang 3)Mt. Annapurna 2(7,937m) and mani wall at lower Pisang 4) The village Ghyaru @ 3610m in upper pisang has nothing but the stunning view of Mt. Annapurna 2(7,937m)
5)the dramatic Paungda Danda rock face, a tremendous curved rock slab of rock rising more than 1500m from the river,Nepali belive it would be the way to the Eternal.
6)Braga Gompa and The village of Braga around the big erosion rock wall
7) living kitchin of a house in Braga village,the hostess is an elementary school teacher: I shared my noodle soups whith the family.

Day6,7:10/22-23/2008:Pisang(3,173m)---Manang(3,440m): stay 2days for acclimatization

*taking the upper Pisang trail,from Pisang to Manang trail, is better for for acclimatization and best view point

*I hiked up 1,000m more to the mountain back side on the 2nd rest day as a excursion for acclimatization and best view point.

1) Mt. Annapurna 2(7,937m) and Manang Village 2) Mt. Annapurna 3 and Manang Village 3)Mt. Annapurna1 and Thorong la pass
4)Mt.Gangapurna and Gangapurna Lake 5)Mt. Annapurna from @4,200m upper Manang 6,7)Mt. Annapurna 3(7,555m) and Mt.Gangapurna(7,454m) 8)Mt. Annapurna 2,3. 9)Mt. Annapurna 2,and Manang valley.
10) black yak and Mt.Gangapurna

Day8:10/24/2008:Manang(3,440m): ---- Thorong Phedi(4,450m) base camp

1) a porter on the trail to thorong La.2)Looking back from Thorung Phedi 3) trail to Yak Kharka /5) Lodge in Yak Kharka.
7)Trail from Yak Kharka to Thorung Phedi/
4,6,8) Looking back on Gangapurna/ 9) Lodge in Leder
10) Moony landscape between Manang and Thorong La.
11)Trail to Thorong Phedi. 12)Approaching Thorung Phedi base camp

Day9:10/25/2008:Thorong Phedi(4,450m) base camp---crossing over the Thorong La(5,416m)---Muktinath(3,797m)

*The pass-day:I was climbing up to Thorung-La Pass(5,416m) from 03:00-07:40 AM in the dark and cold thin air,so could'nt take any photos.
1)Thorong La - the pinnacle of the Annapurna Circuit trek: There is nothing but cold thin air and strong wind,then have to hike down quickly.

2)Thorung La peak
3)looking downhill from Thorung La .4)Looking back on Thorung La to Thorung Phedi.5)Thorung La Tea house 6)Descending from Thorung La
7)The view halfway Thorung La and Muktinath/ 8) Looking back towards Thorung La

Day10:10/26/2008:Muktinath(3,797m)---Kagbeni(2,800m)

1)Muktinath Village
2)The majestic peak of Mt.Dhaulagiri (8,167m) and Muktinath Village
3)Looking back to the Thorung La pass in the far distance from the path to Jomsom
4)the mountains of Mustang 5)Kagbeni in the far distance
6) 7)View towards Mustang region
8)Kagbeni is a green oasis at the junction of the Jhong Kholaand the Kali Gandaki. It has a large gompa and ruins of an old fortress.
9)The village used to be a stop on the Tibetan trade routes. Now it's the jumping off point for treks into the restricted area of Upper Mustang (tourist permits are $700).
10)Mt.Nilgiri (7,061m) above the Kali Gandaki River. 11)North of Kagbeni is the restricted area of Upper Mustang:Looking into the "Forbidden Kingdom" of Upper Mustang from the 600-year-old Tibetan Buddhist gompa (monastery) in the village of Kagbeni.
11)winter seasonal migration of Mustang people to south along the Kali Gandaki River flowing from Mustang

Day11:10/27/2008:Kagbeni(2,800m0--- Marpha(2,670m)

1)Mt. Dhaulagiri (8,167m) and old Mustang village
2) The Kali Gandaki Valley
3)Crossing the suspension bridge over Khali Ghandaki river
4) tibetan treader and mules 5) trail on the Khali Ghandaki landscape
6)Mt. Dhaulagiri (8,167m) and The Kali Gandaki Valley
7) Yak and mules on The Kali Gandaki river bed

Day12:10/28/2008:Marpha(2,670m)---- Ghasa(2,013m)

1) Marpha village and apple orchard 2) my new porter and awfully dusty road combined trail 3) mule bathing with dust
4) Mt.Tukuche peak(6,920m)

Day13:10/29/2008:Ghasa(2,013m)---Tatopani(1,180m)---Sikha(1,980m)

1)trail along the Kali Gandaki River
2) young girls carring heavy plants,I tried it but couldn't lift it up
3) a village along the trail
4) Mule train crossing a suspension bridge over the Kali Gandaki River
5)a stony house 6)Mt.Annapurna ,Mt.fang, Mt.Annapurna south
7)The deepest valley of the world between Annapurna and Dhaulagiri/ 8) terraces field in Sikha

Day14:10/30/2008:Sikha(1,980m)---Ghorapani(3,194m)

1) Mt.Annapurna south(7,220m) * I couldn't take moere pictures as the cloudy weather

Day15:10/31/2008:Ghorapani(3,194m)---Poon Hill(3,210m)---Birethanti(1,080m)---Naya Pul(1,070m) : FINISHED at last all the trekking

* I hiked up over 2,000m to take some best pictures on the Poon Hill view point,but I couldn't do it from the big cloud. 1) Mt.Annapurna south cloudy view at dawn from Poon Hill(3,210m) view point
2,3) Hiked down all the stone steps for elevation lose of 2,100m

*AFTER FINISHED the trekking, to Pokhara city by local bus

1,2) I did as the Nepalis do in Nepal, I was being seated for 2 hours on the luggage cargo roof rack of the local bus to Pokhara city after the trekking as the inside space was full already, taxi driver asked me double fare. the fare of the bus ticket is the same price $1.3(100rp) inside seat or on the roof rack, no passenger would complaint about it
3) we were waiting for snack and open toilet break of our bus driver 4)another passing bus from on the top of my bus
5) it was very cold in the dusk on the roof of the bus.
6)Annapurna IV ( 7,525m ), Annapurna II ( 7,937m ) from Pokhara
7) Macchapucchre (6,993m, the Fish-Tail Mountain ) are sacred and forbidden; mountain :No one has ever conquered the 'holy mountain' in the Annapurna range. Climbing it is forbidden. It angers the gods; one of Eye-catching peaks such as the Matterhorn in the European Alps and Ama Dablam in the Nepal Himalaya are natural magnets,from Pokhara
8) big traffic on the way back to kathmandu city from pokhara 9)very comfortable for this trekking with my Zamberlan Vioz boots

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-22-2008, 09:23 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: and Interests: Hiking, cycling, down-hill skiing, generally just being in the great outdoors, also enjoy X-country skiing, canoeing or kayaking, gardening, dancing & travelling

Hey Jong, welcome to CT. I can't wait to hear about your trip, especially the details of going on your own. Hopefully you will be presenting a slide show at one of RMOC's next meetings?

Will you be at the next meeting to hear about Shirley's trip to Turkey?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-22-2008, 02:25 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: SEA KAYAKING HIKING FISHING

thanks for sharing, Looks like a Super Adventure !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-22-2008, 03:26 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Thank you for sharing an awsome adventure...very impressed. I was wondering how long much preparation you did?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-23-2008, 01:04 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: and Interests: Hiking, cycling, down-hill skiing, generally just being in the great outdoors, also enjoy X-country skiing, canoeing or kayaking, gardening, dancing & travelling

Awesome!!!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-23-2008, 05:17 PM

Well done.
Thank you for sharing

post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-23-2008, 07:43 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Thanks again for the report, Jong. I was wondering if you might be able to tell us about what type of gear you took along on your trek, what worked and what did not. From what I can tell in the pictures, good boots, gaitors, down parka, hood, gloves, ????

Did you camp any? Is this even an option?
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 09:40 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Frickin' awesome man! Thanks for sharing!!!

C
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 10:26 AM
Off the Beaten Path

thanks for the gear list, Jong, I never would have thought of the "dust mask".
post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 10:43 AM

Great info, Great photos! cheers john
post #11 of (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 05:32 PM
Summit Master

Wow Jong , don't know why I didn't see this sooner. You have had some fantastic trips but this tops them by far. For me that would be the trip of a lifetime.I loved your repot, this looks like such a cool adventure. Thank you for posting and adding to my "wish list".

So did you bring that cool little lantern of yours with you?
How did you make out with the altitude ?

~Russ~
post #12 of (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 10:39 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Jong: Hi Russ! Long time no see, you are my neighbour along Noons Creek even the same side.

1) So did you bring that cool little lantern of yours with you?:
Jong: the lantern, I brought to Grand Canyon rim to rim hike 2005 ,I didn¡¯t bring it to there because I had packed my cargo bag for EBC compulsory by plane when I left my home to Seoul. I had not been sure to be able to buy the gas in Namche village near Everest.
2) How did you make out with the altitude ?
Jong: my strategy:
a) gradual ascent : this is my type all the time
b) climb high, sleep low : I had kept this rule over 3,000m altitude
c) prepare Acetazolamide for If need it
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Preventing AMS
The key to avoiding AMS is a gradual ascent that gives your body time to acclimatize. People acclimatize at different rates, so no absolute statements are possible, but in general, the following recommendations will keep most people from getting AMS:
- If possible, you should spend at least one night at an intermediate elevation below 3000 meters.
- At altitudes above 3000 meters (10,000 feet), your sleeping elevation should not increase more than 300-500 meters (1000-1500 feet) per night.
- Every 1000 meters (3000 feet) you should spend a second night at the same elevation.
Remember, it's how high you sleep each night that really counts; climbers have understood this for years, and have a maxim "climb high, sleep low". The day hikes to higher elevations that you take on your "rest days" (when you spend a second night at the same altitude) help your acclimatization by exposing you to higher elevations, then you return to a lower (safer) elevation to sleep. This second night also ensures that you are fully acclimatized and ready for further ascent.
Prophylaxis
Under certain circumstances, prophylaxis with medication may be advisable.
- for persons on forced rapid ascents (such as flying into Lhasa, Tibet, or La Paz, Bolivia), for climbers who cannot avoid a big altitude gain due to terrain considerations, or for rescue personnel on a rapid ascent
- for persons who have repeatedly had AMS in the past

Acetazolamide
We do not recommend acetazolamide as a prophylactic medication, except under the specific limited conditions outlined above. Most people who have a reasonable ascent schedule will not need it, and in addition to some common minor but unpleasant side effects it carries the risk of any of the severe side effects that may occur with sulfonamides.
The dose of acetazolamide for prophylaxis is 125-250 mg twice a day starting 24 hours before ascent, and discontinuing after the second or third night at the maximum altitude (or with descent if that occurs earlier). Sustained release acetazolamide, 500 mg, is also available and may be taken once per day instead of the shorter acting form, though side effects will be more prominent with this dose.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by The Hiker

Wow Jong , don't know why I didn't see this sooner. You have had some fantastic trips but this tops them by far. For me that would be the trip of a lifetime.I loved your repot, this looks like such a cool adventure. Thank you for posting and adding to my "wish list".

So did you bring that cool little lantern of yours with you?
How did you make out with the altitude ?

~Russ~
post #13 of (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 10:47 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

(Will you be at the next meeting to hear about Shirley's trip to Turkey?);
Jong :Hi Susanne ! / Yes I will be there, see you then.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Del Sol

Hey Jong, welcome to CT. I can't wait to hear about your trip, especially the details of going on your own. Hopefully you will be presenting a slide show at one of RMOC's next meetings?

Will you be at the next meeting to hear about Shirley's trip to Turkey?
post #14 of (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 10:49 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

[(I was wondering how long much preparation you did?)

Jong: one week? No 5 days exactly(from Oct.10-15) ,but I had prepared a month for EBC.quote]Originally posted by explorer

Thank you for sharing an awsome adventure...very impressed. I was wondering how long much preparation you did?
[/quote]
post #15 of (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 10:58 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by forester

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by forester

I was wondering if you might be able to tell us about what type of gear you took along on your trek, what worked and what did not. From what I can tell in the pictures, good boots, gaitors, down parka, hood, gloves, ????
Jong: *1)good boots : very important( backpacking boots is better as my opinion)
2)Gaiters and hood: is not mandatory. 3)Down parka & gloves: is mandatory above Manang village in the night. 4) 4 season sleeping bag, etc above mentioned.

*Jong:I didn¡¯t any camp there, but you could do it if you want
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by alpalmer

Thanks again for the report, Jong. I was wondering if you might be able to tell us about what type of gear you took along on your trek, what worked and what did not. From what I can tell in the pictures, good boots, gaitors, down parka, hood, gloves, ????
Quote:

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page