Mt. Whitney - Sierra Nevada - Apr 9/10 2007 - Page 2 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of (permalink) Old 05-11-2007, 12:02 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Hiking, Mountaineering, Cars & Mechanics, Partying, Security, Computers, Programming, Reverse Engineering

Coastal Climber - YIKES! Now I don't feel so bad Yeah, I was getting hammered by the wind pretty good up there but it was quite mellow compared to other times, it appears.

Tlinn - Yeah, I think I just need more time to acclimitize, I've been up to around 5,500m before with no problems, but it was much more gradual. In this case, we spent a couple of days at 8,000 and 9,800 feet, but I ascended quite quickly which was my problem I think.

Jeffster - AWESOME! Looking forward to your report You should have fun on that class 4 scramble, I looked into it and it looks like a blast. Good times, good times.

DW2 - Yeah, as always, I agree - I have been guilty of that more than once before. Heading up to the ears anytime soon? I've been keeping my watchful eye on them.

Peak Bagger - Yeah, I saw several signs warning about the lightning strikes. Clear skies for a couple of days, although we had a good weather window because it was turning for the worse just as we were heading out. But, that makes sense.

Shaggy - Yeah, $35 for the tix, but we spent that much on beer at the game too [] $8 US for a beer! I thought GM Place was bad.

GM - Yeah, it was quite a low snowpack down there, even Shasta was very low for this time of year which made it a perfect time to attempt.. but alas, no time.

Seawallrunner - Wow! You did that? Marathon in death valley.. doesn't sound too appealing to me, but quite an accomplishment
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of (permalink) Old 05-11-2007, 12:14 PM
Summit Master

no I did not do that. Not there, and never that distance. I know people who have run that ultra, and it's gruelling for the runner, and horrible for the crew too. I plan to assist a runner next year when they do their first attempt, and hope to be there for them for the whole trip.
post #18 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2007, 09:33 AM

Great report Dreazn. Brought back the memories of my turn up there in 2005. We did the long route in over Kearsarge Pass and south down the JMT to exit at Whitney Portal [8D]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2007, 11:09 AM
Off the Beaten Path

Wow - congratulations on pushing through to the summit! Great TR, and very inspiring!
post #20 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2007, 01:32 PM
Off the Beaten Path

FANTASTIC, Draezn! [8D] what an amazing looking trip! the terrain sure looks ominous. [:0] i hope trevor's back is feeling better, and the mountain will be waiting for his return. so sorry to hear about your friend--i'm sure your perseverence and determination mean a lot to him and i hope it will give him strength and inspiration to overcome his illness. my thoughts and prayers go out to him to get well soon.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page