Spring Creek Canyon/Utah! - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-10-2006, 12:43 AM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, photography,
Default Spring Creek Canyon/Utah!

Greetings!
Headed up to Kanarraville, Utah today and hiked about 4 miles round trip into Spring Creek Canyon. It started sprinkling as I contemplated entering the tight, narrow canyon. Flash floods rarely happen in this canyon as is it spring fed and not a major drainage.
I looked as I went along and the usual telltale signs of flooding-debris hung up on ledges way over my head were not present. So, I gave it a go! This hike is located just north and west of Zion Park's Kolob terrace where it bumps up to Cedar Mountain. The little spring kept disappearing into the ground and reappearing all through the hike. Sometimes it would flow for a long distance and suddenly disappear into the ground and it would be dry for a long walk. Then, it would gurgle out of the ground again and start flowing. It was a partly cloudy afternoon. Most of the clouds were rumbling off to the west in Pine Mountain.
Once into the narrow canyon, it was secluded, enjoyable, cool temps, and fun to run my river shoes into the stream.

There were a few narrow sections and it finally got so thick with brush that I turned back at about 2 1/2 miles in or so. But, it was a nice outing. I really liked the dark, deep, quiet canyon.

I took my time and enjoyed some R & R [^]
I liked this little guy thriving in the sand along the redrock. What KIND of PINE IS IT? help? thanks!

I like these tight little canyons that pitch, and turn their way along. I will head up to Zion Park's East end next weekend near Glendale/Glendale slot and Cave Canyon waterfall and narrows. Cheers! Jerry

----------------------------------------
May your trails be crooked, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing views ! Edward Abbey

May your trails be crooked, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing views ! Edward Abbey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-10-2006, 07:58 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Seriously active hiker/ mountaineer/ canyoneer

Cool! I've always wondered what Spring Creek Canyon was like. Looks like a nice, peaceful, Zionesque gorge.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-10-2006, 02:03 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

You bet, Chris! Very peaceful walk where I was pleasantly surprised at some of the alvoves, formations, and amount of trees there were.
Not buggy, either; which was a relief. As I wandered up stream, there were no major challenging impasses. I know you love those technical slots! [8D] 100 degrees in St. George and about 85 in the canyon. yes, Zionesque! [] colors switched out from blaze orange, red, then blue/gray and black. Pulled my right tenderloin when I slipped off of a boulder...ouch! It's pretty tight right now. Maybe try and go for a swim in a bit. thanks again! I'll let you know how the little slot with petroglyphs Glendale slot looks next weekend.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-10-2006, 05:34 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Rented Mule

As always, a vivid set of shots of Canyon country. Most unusal looking rock and colour patterns, amazing that they are not man made.

Regards,

post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-10-2006, 06:20 PM

Great pics , your pine looks more like a fir.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-10-2006, 09:38 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Thanks, DB! I never saw one look like an umbrella before. cool.
It was a surprise to see it at the bottom of that huge cleft.

Hi, Kartitk! Some of these holes in the sandstone, fins, and swirls almost DO look man-made. I wish I could have spoken with some of the older western actors way back when they made movies and see what they thought about some of these swiss cheese canyons and arches.
Not much is written about them being off camera in Utah and yet in the canyons all month long. There was a small baseball game years ago where the actors played the local officials. John Wayne, Clark Gable and others were present to whip the local town folk. Clark stayed at some guys house and liked his shower so much that he wrote him a big check and took it home with him...too funny....he said he should've saved a copy of the check as a souvenir. I wish they still filmed movies in these canyons! I would be star struck. In fact, I had to jump into the same puddle that Paul Newman dove into as Butch Cassidy out back of the house in Paradise canyon. I take people there and jump into the mucky pond and they fail to see the connection. As I'm swirling around in the same water as ol' Butch did. Lots of raised eyebrows....So, anyone want to jump into the same pond as Paul on Butch Cassidy and Sundance movie? []
oh, well....[V] Maybe pick up some of the gold that Telly Savalis tossed around the ol Paria Movie set after the show was over?
There was actuallly some man-made modifications to these canyons and sites that today, would put the environs up in arms. So, it is very hard to film in a canyon anymore. how sad.... Cut em off at the pass! Dry gulched by banditos....

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page