SP/C = Southern Prairies & Calgary Last Bump for the Year? - Prairie Mountain - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-05-2020, 06:47 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Default Last Bump for the Year? - Prairie Mountain

An unusual warm spell came through this week and the Wildboy and I headed out to what I expect may be our last mountain this year. We'll likely have to dig out the snowshoes after this. Noting the amount of snow further in, we stuck to the front range and drove up to Elbow Falls to tackle the very popular Prairie Mountain, a good shoulder season hike. Even mid week there were lots of cars parked by the road and we encountered other folks throughout the day. Most of them were carrying micro-spikes but it was warm enough they weren't needed. After a good freeze it will be another story on what was, for us, a wet trail. Scratches on the rocks indicate spikes are employed a lot.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6903.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	1.54 MB
ID:	282104

Views opened up as we got higher and the upper portions of the trail in the trees had a fair amount of packed snow. There were always braided paths around on the dirt. The trail is quite steep and we worked up a sweat. When the trees faded and the wide, easy angled ridge opened up, a heavy wind led us to put on more layers. The broad summit plateau is an exceptional viewpoint, with miles and miles of foothills and peaks to the north and west and miles and miles of foothills and prairie to the south and east. The summit flag was in pretty good shape and I suspect it's been renewed recently.

Name:	IMG_6904.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	1.64 MB
ID:	282106

Name:	IMG_6907.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	1.71 MB
ID:	282108

Bundled up, we had some snacks and inspected the vista. Nihahi Ridge, Banded Peak, Romulus and Remus were obvious but I regretted not bringing a map to help identify others, particularly peaks further north.

Name:	IMG_6908.jpg
Size:	1.66 MB
ID:	282110

Back over my shoulder, the Moose Mountain lookout could be seen.

Name:	IMG_6909.jpg
Size:	1.70 MB
ID:	282112

With the wind howling we didn't linger. Back in the trees and lower down, we were able to doff layers. Descending the packed snow on steep slopes required more care. Even in mid afternoon there were other folks headed up, some wearing shorts and t-shirt. Lots of dogs kept the critters at bay. Much toe jamming led to the usual aches and pains but for tagging an unexpected November bump, a good day was had.

Last edited by zeljkok; 11-05-2020 at 09:43 PM. Reason: Add SP/C prefix and move to Alberta Trip Reports as it is Foothills
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-05-2020, 09:42 PM
Summit Master

Always nice to see Wildboy in action. He's grown a lot.

Don't think I've been to Prairie Mtn. ~15 yrs now. It's a nice after work hike from Calgary, but not practical from Canmore.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-06-2020, 10:56 AM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Thanks for that edit Z. I posted in "Alberta" thinking I was in "Rockies".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-06-2020, 02:51 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by VicB View Post
Thanks for that edit Z. I posted in "Alberta" thinking I was in "Rockies".

It is hard to make distinction; frankly provincial border forum division made more sense to me, as now nothing goes to "Alberta" anymore. Think for practical purposes we can separate east of Hwy40 as Alberta Foothills, and west Rockies.

Doesn't have to be last summit of the year btw; if anything our weather here is totally unpredictable. There is whole bunch of targets around Little/Big Elbow (Forgetmenot, Nihahi etc) that might be in shape without 'shoes

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page