ClubTread Community

ClubTread Community (https://forums.clubtread.com/)
-   Alberta (https://forums.clubtread.com/34-alberta/)
-   -   SP/C Eagle Hill from Sibbald Lake (https://forums.clubtread.com/34-alberta/93554-eagle-hill-sibbald-lake.html)

zeljkok 05-14-2020 08:58 PM

Eagle Hill from Sibbald Lake

10 Attachment(s)
I rarely do foothills hikes anymore, but unusual amount of snow plastering even usually bone dry north side of Bow Valley made me go east. Bob Spirko recently published Deer Ridge hike, and since I've never actually visited Sibbald Lake that seemed like an interesting way to spend sunny afternoon. Bob hike seemed too forested with little views, so I decided on longer trail to Eagle Hill rising south of Trans-Canada above Morley gas station. Sibbald Lake recreation area is now open (but picnic shelter is closed). There were quite a few muddy sections but otherwise trail is straightforward; only problem is near the start because of confusing network of forest roads. If using "Ridge Start" forget all guidebook published instructions / maps; simply go left at every junction until you reach main trail ~30 minutes in; turn right here by Alberta Parks information sign with map. Rest of the hike is rolling walk through semi-open aspen forest finishing with ascent to quite nice Eagle Hill viewpoint. I planned extending via Deer Ridge on return, but felt asleep on sheltered bench on Eagle Hill and came back the same way. Photo story:

Attachment 275822
[Panoramic view of Sibbald Lake near Camp Adventure Gate parking]

Attachment 275818
[Info table as Ridge Start leaves the road; blue ribbon remark is misleading as it wasn't present at all junctions]

Attachment 275820
[Springtime Mating Season!]

Attachment 275824
[Marker as approach via Seventy Bucks trail joins in from left side. Eagle Hill is semi-forested bump ~20 min away]

Attachment 275830
[NW views towards Rocky Mountains from Eagle Hill. Mt. Yamnuska is just left of centre]

Attachment 275826
[Telephoto south from Eagle Hill. Snowy peak is Moose Mtn; unreal it is still snow plastered mid-May]

Attachment 275828
[Panoramic View East from Eagle Hill. Moose Mountain distant center, Cox Hill to its right, Deer Ridge mid-foreground center left]

Attachment 275832
[Forested Deer Ridge on return on right side; only viewpoint is lower east bump]

Hike was more enjoyable than expected, but you have to be in the right mindset. I do plan to return for Deer Ridge and/or Seventy Bucks at some point. Here are some stats, with GPS Tracks Map and Elevation Profile:

Return Time: 5hrs

Distance: 15km (return)
Elevation: Total: 540m (+385 -160)

Attachment 275834

Attachment 275836

Full report with more photos and downloadable GPS track here

martin 05-15-2020 08:52 PM

That looks like a nice enjoyable outing. I was just looking at that photo and thinking Moose Mtn. might be a good ski trip. Looking at GE it looks like lots of road activity to the east might provide good access.

zeljkok 05-16-2020 12:43 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by martin (Post 851184)
That looks like a nice enjoyable outing. I was just looking at that photo and thinking Moose Mtn. might be a good ski trip. Looking at GE it looks like lots of road activity to the east might provide good access.

Thanks! You are close -- Moose east side is popular mountain biking trip. Some people are able to ride all the way to the top, some hike last hr or so. West side has some hiking only trails. It's a popular mountain, being close to Calgary.

This is zoom at 300mm, you might see forestry lookout tower on top
Attachment 275838

Andrew Henderson 10-24-2020 06:45 PM

This is so nice to see that those signs are still there and holding up! I made those myself when I worked at the summer camp along Sibbald Lake 3 years ago (it has since closed down). There used to be no signage for those junctions (or trailheads) and the counsellors used those to take groups on the shorter hiking loops. Admittedly, I think that some of the trail names are wrong and have been updated from the old Alberta Parks trail map that I based the signage from.

Great post, I forwarded it to my old camp group chat.

zeljkok 10-24-2020 09:12 PM

Thanks Andrew! Signs are holding up well & are quite helpful.
Foothills have many interesting hikes & this is one of them. Next time I'm in Sibbald area I'll go for Deer Ridge loop.