Baby got back...packing - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-07-2013, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
Off the Beaten Path

Default Baby got back...packing

My wife and I took our one year-old son backpacking over the Saturday and Sunday of the August long weekend for the first time. We had perfect solitude at Kinglette (Kinglet) Lake in the David Thompson, while every campsite and pull-out along the Highway 11 corridor from Rocky Mountain House to Saskatchewan Crossing was packed with campers.

The hike itself is short and steep, gaining 750m over 4km. No switchbacks here.

We left home on Saturday morning, figuring it easier to wear our hiking clothes and have our bags packed, than to rush out Friday night, sleep somewhere, monkey with breakfast and the child, and re-pack. Not to mention the dog was playing a part in this adventure too (we forgot to reserve a spot at the kennel in time). This is but one example of how the baby has changed our decision-making. Normally we would sleep in the vehicle after driving late, allowing us an early start on Saturday (not that one needs an early start for Kinglette Lake other than to avoid the hot afternoon sun on the steep south aspect). However, it did backfire a bit because after all that time in the car, he was not particularly excited about sitting in the backpack.

The sun was hot as we headed straight up the slope and the additional gear made the climb a bit more strenuous than usual. Regardless, we arrived at the lake in good time and got busy setting up camp on a lovely little knoll south of the lake. We were pleased to find no traces of garbage or waste around the lake. A little green throne was in pretty fair condition too. To our surprise, the few fishermen who were at the lake departed before supper, so we had the whole place to ourselves -- on the long weekend of August! This turned out to be a good thing, because our son had about 4 incisor-related crying spells in the night which certainly would have woken up any neighbours. The one thing we forgot to pack was a pacifier.

At night, we laid the baby on a blue sleeping mat between us. He was dressed in a sleeper and a snowsuit with mittens. However, not being able to squirm like he does at home in his crib meant he woke up a few times. The teething thing may have factored into this as well. After some heavy rain and thunderstorms overnight, the morning began to clear at our elevation, while the valley was was shrouded in fog. It was quite beautiful as the fog lifted towards our camp.

Here are some morning shots:

As far as packing goes, this is what we did:

My wife carried him in a backpack carrier. He wore a sun hat and sunglasses. In the backpack: all our food, alcohol stove and methanol, water filter, diapers, wipes, Ziploc bags, sunscreen, toothbrushes/paste, baby's bottle, snacks and dog food.

In my pack: tent, 3x sleeping bags and pads, 2x down jackets, baby snowsuit, 2x Goretex shells, 2x base-layer bottoms, first aid kit, survival/necessities kit, pot and utensils, toilet paper, camera, tripod, 2x headlamps, large garbage bag. The dog was leashed around my waist as well.

In all, it was a success. However, it was a lot of effort for the reward, particularly because we couldn't truly relax when we were constantly tending to the little one. The dirty diapers added to the weight penalty but it wasn't as much of a hassle as I thought it might be.

Now that we proved to ourselves we could backpack with a baby, we don't necessarily feel in a hurry to replay the same scenario (unless some friends come along as sherpas, hint hint). Our next backcountry adventure might be canoe tripping and see how that goes. It was a fun and memorable weekend, though!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-07-2013, 09:06 PM
Headed for the Mountains

lol! well done....
come a little further this way and I will definitely sherpa for you! Granny opportunities are few and far between!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-07-2013, 09:08 PM Thread Starter
Off the Beaten Path

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mtnlioness

lol! well done....
come a little further this way and I will definitely sherpa for you! Granny opportunities are few and far between!
Alright! I've got one taker... any others? Lol. We may just take you up on that offer someday Cindy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-07-2013, 09:44 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: hiking, backpacking, scrambling, climbing

I'm not much of a sherpa, but I might be up for a multi-family backpack to an easy trail sometime. Elbow Lake, Point, Quaite Valley or the like (once they're cleaned up).
I have a nephew and three nieces we're going to have to get out some time. That would probably be more fun with additional adults.
But since they outnumber us, it will probably have to be in another year or two when they're old enough to walk themselves.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-07-2013, 10:43 PM
Headed for the Mountains

good work at getting out dav, our kid is only 8 weeks now, going to be another year before i try camping with him. My little one has a big trip to lake o'hare in sept for the day!

great shot
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2013, 03:51 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: fishing, downhill/x-country skiing,hiking/backpacking, canoeing, snowshoing

Good to see you folks getting out together again and with the young lad as well. I bet Erin was happy to put some kms. on in the backcountry again. I would offer to Sherpa, however I fear it may only be a few more years and I'll be packing out my own diapers,lol.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2013, 07:15 AM Thread Starter
Off the Beaten Path

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sparkes

good work at getting out dav, our kid is only 8 weeks now, going to be another year before i try camping with him. My little one has a big trip to lake o'hare in sept for the day!
Congrats, hope parenthood is treating you well so far! O'Hara sounds like a great first destination. We've done some car camping and day hiking, but this was the first backcountry night. The key to car camping for us has been getting a BIG tent (Sierra Designs Yahi 6+2). We put his Graco playpen in the +2 side along with a camp chair, so my wife would feed him and put him to bed and we could carry on until our bed-time and sneak in the other side. The tent is tall enough that if we had to rock him back to sleep in the middle of the night, we could stand up to do so.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2013, 07:18 AM Thread Starter
Off the Beaten Path

@Darren Just give me a couple months' heads up and I'll buy up some shares in Depends in anticipation of their stock rising dramatically, lol.

@Rachel That would definitely be fun in a couple years!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2013, 08:07 AM
Headed for the Mountains

That looks like a nice first trip! Thanks for posting this, and the information about gear and packing. Hopefully in a few years we'll have a little one, and it's nice to see that others can make backpacking work with a kid (and how they do it). Kudos!
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2013, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
Off the Beaten Path

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by nomsha

That looks like a nice first trip! Thanks for posting this, and the information about gear and packing. Hopefully in a few years we'll have a little one, and it's nice to see that others can make backpacking work with a kid (and how they do it). Kudos!
Thanks, I was hoping some of the information might be helpful and encouraging to others, as I've seen this topic pop up on the forum a couple times.
post #11 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2013, 08:25 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Wow, a lot of baby/kid trips on CT of late. Now if only I could get my wife on board with this. It's a little daunting playing zone defence on a 1yr and 3yr old tandem on an overnighter.
post #12 of (permalink) Old 08-10-2013, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
Off the Beaten Path

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by thecamel

Wow, a lot of baby/kid trips on CT of late. Now if only I could get my wife on board with this. It's a little daunting playing zone defence on a 1yr and 3yr old tandem on an overnighter.
Absolutely! It sounds like the math is against you. The logistics of two is still beyond my comprehension, lol.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page