Hidden Valley with Jada the Wonderdog - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-03-2011, 04:40 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Default Hidden Valley with Jada the Wonderdog

Once again this little hike wouldn't warrant a TR unless you were climbing as this has some fixed bolt routes. However there are a couple of challenges!! I decided this would be a great little hike for my friend Gail and Jada the dog.... forgetting about the ladder part! lol
Distance is short, 8k. return but a bit of a elevation, cloudy today so this was pretty in the trees. Had our lunch at the summit, Gail's first!
But seriously the ladder going up wasn't too bad as Jada let me lift her up a few of the rungs however the coming down part was a much greater challenge! Remember Jada is an 8 year old bull mastiff likely 75 lbs or so, oh and a borrowed dog! We walk together a fair bit and I love her dearly but really the trust she showed today amazed me! She has joined the ranks of wonder dog status in my mind!
I seem to have an interesting time hiking even when I think it will be a quiet walk in the woods! lol thanks Gail, another great day!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-03-2011, 05:08 PM
Summit Master

Nice TR. Jada looks a bit worried at the bottom.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-03-2011, 05:23 PM
Summit Master

Location: Finally stopping that crazy suffering that is ice, climbing to concentrate on great ski tours!, .
Interest: Anything that can drag me to the mountains. Backpacking is #1, followed by climbing, dayhiking and camping with family.

I took my daughter to School House Rock for the first time this summer and discovered a great area for climbing with the kids. Some great TR routes there, with easy warm ups to some pretty stiff routes too. Nice thing about Jasper is that we spent a 22C sunny summer day there, and had it to ourselves! Crazy! In the Bow Valley, we'd have had to line up...

Nice report and cool pics...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-04-2011, 06:11 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sandy

Nice TR. Jada looks a bit worried at the bottom.
True- But Cindy looks relaxed and ready! (Hmmm...no wonder she's able to lift those big boxes at work!)

When I took my pups up here, I would go up the ladder and make them go "way around". Sprint (BC and a shows neurotic separation anxiety) didn't really like that thinking, but he figured it out quickly if he though he was being left behind!

I love this area. Such a nice place to feel like you are really "away" from everyone!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-04-2011, 10:12 PM
Summit Master

Interest: hiking,swimming,anything on the water or outside.Try almost anything once

It a good feeling when a dog trust you like that You must be strong,thats a big doggie! I like the picture were she's looking down,like "are you people coming or what?" LOL
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-05-2011, 08:20 AM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Yes, I suspect Jada was thinking "you expect me to do what?" But no whining and ready to give it a try! Trust from a pet is really precious, I'm sure appreciating having her company on the trail, I think I could ask her to follow me any where now!
Vicki, I think she would be able to climb on her own if I'd started with her as a puppy too.
Jasper has some great climbing options doesn't it John? Your daughter must be getting confident to try any pitch by now!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-08-2011, 10:04 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Actually only "I" would climb the ladder. Sprint wouldn't climb it...he would go "way around" - meaning he'd take off into the trees and find a route up and around the obstacle. He has shown he can climb ladders, but freaks out coming down them. Poor Sylvie has the scars to show for that.
And you're right- trust from a pet is VERY precious. Jada is lucky to have you!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page