Three ski trips in one - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 01:02 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: playing guitar,drums fly-fishing,hiking,scrambling,mountaineering
Default Three ski trips in one

Over the past couple weeks i have gotten onto ski touring and wonder why i ever criticized it before. I take what i said back Kevin and John, i love ski touring/mountaineering and now have dropped any interest in ice climbing......

Here are 3 trips i have taken,i threw them into one report.

Burstall Pass:

Headed up to the pass on a beautiful day,although once i got to the pass the clouds rolled in for awhile and my views were obscured. I had a fun ski down and from that day on i was hooked.

rainbow/halo over mt.lougheed
looking towards snow peak
Robertson glacier
" "
clouds came in after this,so all the photos aren't worth

Chester lake:

2 days later i decided to head up to chester lake. I had been up here in the summer,but was now equipped with skis and looking forward to a nice run down. Took about an hour to get to the lake,where i sat nearby and made friends with a couple whiskey jacks.

I then made my way up to the elephant rocks and a bit higher.

On went my skis and away i went...what a great day i had..then i had to go to work..blahh

gaining elevation above canmore
out of the trees and there's Mt.Chester
fracture line of old avalanche
newer and bigger avalanche from cornice drop hello friend!
Elephant rocks (these things are fun to climb up and fling yourself off of) this is as high as i went today
Mt.Sir Douglas

Mosquito Creek Ascent:

I had asked on here about a good place to ski.time2climb had mentioned crowfoot glades and that was my original plan. I thought about it for awhile and thought "i'd rather get out and see how far and how high i could ski, while not exposing myself to avalanche hazard".

As i passed mosquito creek,my mind changed instantly and i turned around and parked.

My plan was to head up the valley and maybe find some low angle turns,but as i came out of the trees i spotted a peak off to my left that looked fairly safe to ascend..so up i went.

The first part through the trees was steep,almost to steep to ski up and i had to cut short switchbacks so my skins would still stick. Once i got out of the trees the angle eased and i enjoyed a nice skin up to the top. There was a higher peak connected to this mass i was on,but it looked to risky for a solo ascent with all the snow.

I was able to ski within 100 meters of the top and then i scrambled the rest.
I knew that the snow wasn't going to be the best for a run down as it faced south/southeast,so i waited for a bit and hoped the sun would soften the crust a little.

The sun unfortunately didn't shine as much as i wanted and i started down early anyways.

The ski down was great fun,but would've been unbeatable if the snow conditions were better.
In no time i was back at treeline,where i had a nice break in the now reappearing sun.

The hardest part was next, as the treed slope i had to descend was too steep and thick.
I had to resort to a combination of walking until i got sick off sinking to my waist,then i would crawl,using my skis to hold me up,and some times sitting on my skis and sliding down.

Finally i reached the trail and had a decent ski back down....what an awesome day!!!

i see you noseeum peak thats what i skied up coming out of the trees looking toward molar pass the many dolomite peaks
looking down at a nice run
nearing the top skied from here to treeline Molar mountain looking neat the mountain i skied,crawled,slid and postholed down.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 01:13 PM
Banned

Wow... sounds like you have had quite an epiphany. Looks sweet. -c-
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 02:17 PM
Summit Master

That rainbow shot over Lougheed is !!!! Ski-touring is wonderful - such a beautiful way to see the land
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 02:20 PM
Dru
Super Moderator

Interest: climbing and spraying

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by nmcan84

I take what i said back Kevin and John, i love ski touring/mountaineering and now have dropped any interest in ice climbing......
quitter []
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 02:55 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: playing guitar,drums fly-fishing,hiking,scrambling,mountaineering

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Dru

Quote:

I take what i said back Kevin and John, i love ski touring/mountaineering and now have dropped any interest in ice climbing......
quitter []
oh..i haven't totally quit,i've just found something that i enjoy alot more than hiking a little ways to climb a little bit of ice.

i've noticed myself getting out of shape from the ice i've been climbing over the winter and ski touring will get me more excercise.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 03:03 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Skiing is awesome. It took me way too long to figure that out.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-03-2011, 09:12 AM
Summit Master

Location: Finally stopping that crazy suffering that is ice, climbing to concentrate on great ski tours!, .
Interest: Anything that can drag me to the mountains. Backpacking is #1, followed by climbing, dayhiking and camping with family.

HAHAHA! Another convert! I just spent a week at Campbell Icefields, and after seven days of skiing, I doubt I'll ever actively ice climb again. (My daughter wants to try ice climbing, so I might get roped into it, but in the meantime, skiing is for me...)
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-03-2011, 03:38 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Is eating sushi a hobby?

I'm also enjoying the ski touring a lot more than ice.

Mostly because I'm always warm! Or maybe I'm trying to justify the closet of gear I bought this year. [B)]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-04-2011, 09:26 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Dru

Quote:

quitter []

Another two bite the dust (former ice climbers, that is).

I love climbing and I've tried ice climbing, but just can't see what the fuss is all about. I still like my two pieces of plywood tied underneath my feet better, much easier to blow the ACLs out.
Code:

post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-04-2011, 09:39 PM
Summit Master

Location: Finally stopping that crazy suffering that is ice, climbing to concentrate on great ski tours!, .
Interest: Anything that can drag me to the mountains. Backpacking is #1, followed by climbing, dayhiking and camping with family.

I have yet to have the screaming barfies while skiing. That's enough for me to keep skiing...

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page