Peace River Trail - Page 2 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 02:14 PM
High on the Mountain Top

I'm sorry you had a negative experience on this trail Peter but there is a definite need for places like this for people who recreate in this way. Also it was the August long weekend, I'll bet there are lots of days this trail only sees the occasional deer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 07:38 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: hiking, backpacking, scrambling, climbing

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Sodbuster

I'm sorry you had a negative experience on this trail Peter but there is a definite need for places like this for people who recreate in this way. Also it was the August long weekend, I'll bet there are lots of days this trail only sees the occasional deer.
I agree that quadders need a place. I understand MacLean Creek, Waiparous, and the like. What I don't understand is the idea that a quad trail can ever be also a hiking trail. Once the motors are in, it's not workable for the rest. It just allows the government-types who never leave the city to pat themselves on the back for their 'multi-use' recreation, and the chance for everyone to share - which doesn't happen.

I don't have a problem with ATV areas. But when people start believing that ATV trails are also hiking trails, we're going to start losing actual hiking trails.
post #18 of (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 08:50 AM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Rachelo
[I don't have a problem with ATV areas. But when people start believing that ATV trails are also hiking trails, we're going to start losing actual hiking trails.
And THAT'S the bigger problem...

By the way, I sent a link to this TR to the Athabasca County Ecnonomic Developmet guy, the local Councillor, and to the man responsible for organizing new trail development in the county. Maybe it will help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 09:03 AM
Headed for the Mountains

It's interesting to see this side of the coin... Here in BC it is quite the opposite, as everywhere that off road vehicles were using for the past forty years keep getting closed and converted to hiking trails. Perhaps we could just send you all of our hicks and you can send us all of your hikers?!?
post #20 of (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 02:25 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

^ I feel your pain...
post #21 of (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 05:57 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: hiking, backpacking, scrambling, climbing

We could send all our hicks AND all your hicks to Saskatchewan?
post #22 of (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 10:33 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Backcountry migration,blending far off-trail to witness Life

Quote:

We could send all our hicks AND all your hicks to Saskatchewan?

Quote:
quote:
It's interesting to see this side of the coin... Here in BC it is quite the opposite, as everywhere that off road vehicles were using for the past forty years keep getting closed and converted to hiking trails. Perhaps we could just send you all of our hicks and you can send us all of your hikers?!?
Quote:
quote:

Bring 'em here , they'll fit right in...

post #23 of (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 11:18 PM
Summit Master

Which part of my AB post wasn't up to par with any of the comments posted there regarding off-road machines annoying others, { even though the trans canada trail was "earmarked " as machine inclusive to keep a trans canada corridor open for all canadian cultures to traverse ?
My self, I would probably not ever own an ATV, but would like to get a BMW 1000cc Enduro.

Machines that annoy ??
well similar comparison's exist here, including personal energy production devices [ aka generators ]
I am sure some goombah on your trail[s] have attempted to transport these into that trail for all kinds of Party hardy Wing-dings.

So, please forgive me for my EXUBORANCE when a deciding score was reached in some park policies that I had several input into...Does Alberta have an emerging Emissions Regulations Policy in Parks yet ?

If I wanted to Flame On I could have emulated some CBC style commentors about "typical redneck Albertans" ..."sucking down the oil and gas surpluses,etc etc etc "... over weighted with big 4x4's and motor homes with 10 cyls..." and your culture Reaps what it sows "!

No I am not typically rude,even though I have an " inside-view " of the gas/oil sectors .

Or was it this that bugged you ?...

A close up would show you a sign here of this years 2010 New Backcountry policies on O.R.V.'s...look at the middle left Yellow signs, they are popping up like Mushrooms here on Van.Isle.

Relevant to the issues in alberta, strive for responsible change & shared useage ?

Bye Bye.
post #24 of (permalink) Old 08-07-2010, 05:06 AM
Summit Master

Interest: Mountains....

^ step away from the crackpipe. What exactly set off that rant?
post #25 of (permalink) Old 08-07-2010, 09:03 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: fishing, downhill/x-country skiing,hiking/backpacking, canoeing, snowshoing

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by time2clmb

Careful, Marc will have a hissy fit if you slag his lil' buddy!
post #26 of (permalink) Old 08-07-2010, 10:49 AM
Summit Master

Interest: Mountains....

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by darrenbell

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by time2clmb

Careful, Marc will have a hissy fit if you slag his lil' buddy!
post #27 of (permalink) Old 08-07-2010, 11:31 AM
Summit Master

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by peter1955

Quote:
[I don't have a problem with ATV areas. But when people start believing that ATV trails are also hiking trails, we're going to start losing actual hiking trails.
And THAT'S the bigger problem...

By the way, I sent a link to this TR to the Athabasca County Ecnonomic Developmet guy, the local Councillor, and to the man responsible for organizing new trail development in the county. Maybe it will help.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote from an USA study on ATV impacts on wildlife/lizards/water quality...2008...

...). [u]Another problem is that once an ORV leaves the road, and creates its own trail, that tempts other ORV's that come afterwards to also take that detour, and in little time a small back path is a well-traveled road.</u> And once the soil is compacted, and the soil and water is polluted, the same vegetation cannot return, which opens the area up to noxious weeds and exotic plants, and interferes with natural biodiversity (http://www.serconline.org/orv/pkg_frameset.html, April 18, 2008).

...paragraph from B.C.Ministry site &gt;Problem: Damage to Soils
Operating vehicles irresponsibly can cause long-term irreparable changes to
the structure of the soil, making it diffi cult for plants to take root and grow.
Solution:
• Stay on managed or established trails and roads. Do not use livestock or
wildlife trails. Do not create new trails.
• Avoid trails that are narrower than your vehicle and avoid excessively
steep trails.

...http://www.sitesandtrailsbc.ca/docum...ff-roading.pdf

** So far , I haven't seen the Alberta Regs Listed here on this Alta. T.R., which seems to have started of as a rant on ATV's, so just giving you all a backgrounder on this problem on Van.Isle.
Seems to me that the potential of the Trans-Canada-Trail could be recognized for it's ability to transport Hikers via ORV's to hidden trail heads.
Trouble is, with most ATV'ers there is an irrational phobia about locking & leaving their vehicle on the sides of trails , yet many Two-Wheel ORV's do not seem to be afflicted with this phobia.
Strange !
post #28 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2010, 02:50 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

[quote]quote:Originally posted by cambium

Quote:
quote:
Seems to me that the potential of the Trans-Canada-Trail could be recognized for it's ability to transport Hikers via ORV's to hidden trail heads.
The Trans-Canada Trail includes many sections. In Alberta, some of those sections are exclusively used by quads, per the discussion above. NONE would allow hikers access to other hiking trailheads. See the link sodbuster posted for the Peace River Trail.

Quote:
Trouble is, with most ATV'ers there is an irrational phobia about locking & leaving their vehicle on the sides of trails , yet many Two-Wheel ORV's do not seem to be afflicted with this phobia.
Not so irrational, I think. Are you clear on what the difference between an ATV and an ORV is? Around here, an ATV is a quad, and an ORV is a truck or something of similar size. An ATV could easily be put on a trailer and carried away, while an old F-150 would be a lot harder to steal.

More to the point, people who drive ATVs have NO desire to park their vehicle beside the trails and walk off into the bush. Their assumption is that if they can walk somewhere, they should be able to drive their ATV there. If by "Two-Wheel ORVs", you mean dirt bikes, (which is not a common usage of the the acronym) their riders behave the same as quad drivers.

post #29 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2010, 07:38 PM
Banned

Quote:

More to the point, people who drive ATVs have NO desire to park their vehicle beside the trails and walk off into the bush. Their assumption is that if they can walk somewhere, they should be able to drive their ATV there. If by "Two-Wheel ORVs", you mean dirt bikes, (which is not a common usage of the the acronym) their riders behave the same as quad drivers.

Actually, I ride a dual-sport bike and have used it on MOST of my trips to get me to the trailhead, whereon I park it and HIKE the remainder of the trek...but thanks for painting me with the same brush!
post #30 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2010, 11:09 AM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by TheShadow

Quote:

If by "Two-Wheel ORVs", you mean dirt bikes, (which is not a common usage of the the acronym) their riders behave the same as quad drivers.
Actually, I ride a dual-sport bike and have used it on MOST of my trips to get me to the trailhead, whereon I park it and HIKE the remainder of the trek...but thanks for painting me with the same brush!
The exception that proves the rule?

In the context above, I was talking about ATV riders halfway down a quad trail not wanting to get off and walk away from that trail onto one that is passable only on foot. Every one I've seen seems to prefer to stay on the quad. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page