Compass Declination - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-10-2020, 02:22 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: woodworking, canoeing, hiking/backpacking, computer, photography, cycling
Default Compass Declination

I hope I can explain my question clearly.

I have two compasses 1) Suunto M3 and 2) a just donated older, but still in the package Brunton TruArc 10 (has a global needle). Both compasses have the adjustable declination feature. When both are set to ZERO the Suunto's housing dial (with orienting arrow set to NORTH) also shows 0 degrees, but on the Brunton housing dial shows 334 degrees. There has to be an issue with the Brunton, correct?

Thanks for any assistance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0526.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	890.9 KB
ID:	276696  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0527.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	1.00 MB
ID:	276698  

\"Heaven is under our feet is well as over our heads\" Thoreau
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-12-2020, 05:05 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCbear View Post
I hope I can explain my question clearly.

I have two compasses 1) Suunto M3 and 2) a just donated older, but still in the package Brunton TruArc 10 (has a global needle). Both compasses have the adjustable declination feature. When both are set to ZERO the Suunto's housing dial (with orienting arrow set to NORTH) also shows 0 degrees, but on the Brunton housing dial shows 334 degrees. There has to be an issue with the Brunton, correct?

Thanks for any assistance.

I can't tell IF in the one pic that the two compasses are immediately besides each other. IF that's true then that most likely is introducing an error. Regardless, monitor each compass at a time. It matters not what either compass bezel(adjustable ring) is set to nor the declination. The needles in spite of adjustments should be pointing in the same direction. Go outside and place compass on a flat surface and ideally on a white sheet of paper. Be sure that no metal objects are in the immediate vicinity. Mark on that paper what direction the needle is pointing to. Then do the same for the next one. Both compasses should be identical, or almost identical no question. IF not then find a third compass if need be. Wherever you are on the planet you should have a good idea of where magnetic north is and consequently the direction a compass needle should be properly pointing. See: https://www.magnetic-declination.com/ I hope this helps

Last edited by woodenshoes; 06-12-2020 at 05:08 AM.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-16-2020, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: woodworking, canoeing, hiking/backpacking, computer, photography, cycling

Thanks for our input woodenshoes. In the picture the compasses were side by side but these two compasses (along with a couple of my school basic compasses) for any north needle inaccuracies. The picture was to illustrate the fact that the Brunton compass bezel is not at zero when declaration is set to zero. I might have been clear on my question as the accuracy of my magnetic needle is not my issue.

I was hoping to get some sort of confirmation, or a knowledgeable explanation why my thought that this Brunton compass is defective was not correct. This is the first time I have ever seen a compass' magnetic needle, and its "shed", not aligned with the direction of travel arrow when the bezel is set to 0 degrees. Any thought on this specific concern?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-16-2020, 07:25 PM
Summit Master

bcbear - I am no compass expert, but could it be that Brunton needs some sort of initial calibration as it was sitting who knows how long in the box & was probably never used? Manual should probably say something about that.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-17-2020, 11:12 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCbear View Post
Thanks for our input woodenshoes. In the picture the compasses were side by side but these two compasses (along with a couple of my school basic compasses) for any north needle inaccuracies. The picture was to illustrate the fact that the Brunton compass bezel is not at zero when declaration is set to zero. I might have been clear on my question as the accuracy of my magnetic needle is not my issue.

I was hoping to get some sort of confirmation, or a knowledgeable explanation why my thought that this Brunton compass is defective was not correct. This is the first time I have ever seen a compass' magnetic needle, and its "shed", not aligned with the direction of travel arrow when the bezel is set to 0 degrees. Any thought on this specific concern?

this from a manual "Your Brunton TruArc Compass features tool-free declination adjustment. To adjust, place your thumb
in the center of the liquid filled vial, then pinch the vial with your fore-finger on the bottom through
opening in the center of the vial base. Hold the rotating dial above still with your other hand, and then twist the
liquid filled vial within the outer dial (fig 1). Adjust to the appropriate declination setting according to your
location using the red hash mark at the tail of your magnetized needle. When complete, the compass will
automatically compensate for declination"
post #6 of (permalink) Old Yesterday, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

woodenshoes that's how I set the declination with no problems. Setting it back to zero again does line up 0 degrees on the housing dial with 0 degrees declination. I guess I will have to either scrap the compass or find a retailer who knows this brand well enough to diagnose the issue. Thanks for your assistance.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page