ClubTread Community

ClubTread Community (https://forums.clubtread.com/)
-   Maps, GPS, Orienteering (https://forums.clubtread.com/33-maps-gps-orienteering/)
-   -   Gah! How do I get rid of this?? (https://forums.clubtread.com/33-maps-gps-orienteering/62033-gah-how-do-i-get-rid.html)

dougz 08-10-2015 01:11 PM

Gah! How do I get rid of this??

1 Attachment(s)
Hate when this happens (see attachment).

I forget to clear my track before I start my hike, and I get the trip all the way from home in there..

How do I delete it?

Thanks!

CraigH 08-10-2015 01:57 PM

Open up your GPS software, you'll have the ability to edit your tracks by removing points.

I use Garmin Mapsource.

Edit:
I often have to clean up the start and end of a track. Caused by turning on the GPS while packing up gives a bunch of extra points at the start, and being at the vehicles for a few minutes before remembering to turn off the GPS gives extra points at the end.

Sometimes you need to break up a longer track into shorter pieces, or combine multiple tracks into one longer track.

dougz 08-10-2015 02:19 PM

I'm using Basecamp, and it's not letting me erase it.. :(

edit: Was able to split the track and erase it, thanks for the hint!

CraigH 08-10-2015 02:26 PM

I have Basecamp too, but find I prefer the older Mapsource software. As a Garmin customer you can likely download it too.

dougz 08-10-2015 02:37 PM

Yes, I should have it.. Haven't used it in quite a while..

xj6response 08-10-2015 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dougz (Post 652753)
Hate when this happens (see attachment).

I forget to clear my track before I start my hike, and I get the trip all the way from home in there..

How do I delete it?

Thanks!

That same issue can happen on many GPS devices. I use my android smartphone (AlpineQuest application) and that can occur if i don't clear the cache of the application before starting a new track.

If you have saved the file as a GPX this is actually just a simple text file. You can rename your .GPX file as a .TXT file then open it with any text editor or word processor on your computer. Then you can delete the extraneous points, which are often quite obvious in the file by looking at the series of point coordinates. Assuming you preserve the correct file headers in the text file, save it and rename it back to .GPX. this trick should work. It does for me.

ALWAYS SAVE A BACKUP of your original .GPX file in case this goes sideways on you

dougz 08-10-2015 02:56 PM

Splitting the track worked this time..

And yes, I made a copy of the original beforehand.. :)

guntis 08-10-2015 03:15 PM

Option 1: Clear Current Track on GPS before embarking on your hike (on Garmin, go to Track Manager, scroll to Current Track, delete it)

Option 2: In Basecamp, double click the track, highlight the errant points, delete (usually easy to figure out, because the first point is sometimes 100km away from the next one)

Option 3: split track like you did (I do this often...)

dougz 08-10-2015 05:57 PM

When I double-click the track it opens up the properties menu.. No option to highlight sections..

guntis 08-10-2015 07:01 PM

Sorry, I use a Mac. Maybe it's Right-Click and select Get Info...