User Tag List

1Likes
  • 1 Post By johngenx

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2014, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
RGB
Banned

Default "Smartphones for navigation" article

Seek Outside is a US company specializing in outdoor products mainly for hunters, but also for those who live outside a lot, tents, stoves, etc.
The article here is mainly about the iPhone and how it can be used for navigation in the backcountry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2014, 10:48 PM
Summit Master

Location: Finally stopping that crazy suffering that is ice, climbing to concentrate on great ski tours!, .
Interest: Anything that can drag me to the mountains. Backpacking is #1, followed by climbing, dayhiking and camping with family.

My iPhone 4 (non-S) has great GPS reception without any wifi or cell service, so the article is slightly incorrect about that.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-15-2015, 03:16 AM
Hittin' the Trails

Interest: fishing skiing snowboarding hiking. anything that involves being connected with the outdoors

I read the article its a nice read. Ive been using my smartphone for a couple years now with backcountry navigator. i find it a much better app when compared to gaia gps on the galaxy note 2. BTW the second comment seems to be posted by someone who never read the article.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2015, 01:51 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastKootenays View Post
BTW the second comment seems to be posted by someone who never read the article.
I think johngenx was replying on of the comments on the article, not the article itself. Sometimes people depend on apps (like google maps) that use cellular data to display the map instead of storing the map data on the cellphone itself. I have a feeling that this is what has led to people getting the impression that they have to be within cell range.

My biggest issue with cellphones is operating them in a storm. While a good case can make the device fairly water resistant, cellphone touch screens generally stop operating once they get too wet. This is not a critical issue, and I have used mine in storms before; it's just a bit of a hassle.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2015, 04:14 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by trick View Post
I think johngenx was replying on of the comments on the article, not the article itself. Sometimes people depend on apps (like google maps) that use cellular data to display the map instead of storing the map data on the cellphone itself. I have a feeling that this is what has led to people getting the impression that they have to be within cell range.

My biggest issue with cellphones is operating them in a storm. While a good case can make the device fairly water resistant, cellphone touch screens generally stop operating once they get too wet. This is not a critical issue, and I have used mine in storms before; it's just a bit of a hassle.
google maps can be pre-cached to operate out of mobile data range, but there are many better apps, as we all know. one of the best in my view is Alpinequest or Everytrailpro. Alpinequest has a good open source world wide map in the app and you can easily pre-cache many other maps for your selected area, before you head out. You can even pre-cache microsoft Bing maps satellite imagery.

Spot on about bad weather and smartphones. not a good mix. also, battery life of good GPS units tends to be a lot better than a smartphone
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2015, 05:35 PM
High on the Mountain Top

I have been using my iPhone for navigation since last year with the pre-loaded trip .GPX files & pre-downloaded terrain/topo map (e.g. MotionX; Trimble Outdoors;Green Trail Maps,etc), but I always get my Garmin outdoor GPS ready to use and put it into my backpack as a backup.

I also used "google map" for sure and "camp & tent"; "camp & RV";"foreverMap";"find outdoor stores";"find Costco";"best parking",etc for my road trips.....

Real success in your life is defined by happiness.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2015, 06:25 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Outward bound author of the Seinfeld thread who builds his own snowshoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngenx View Post
My iPhone 4 (non-S) has great GPS reception without any wifi or cell service, so the article is slightly incorrect about that.
From the article,

Quote:
Starting with the 4S, iPhones have a GPS chip that function independently of the SIM card, meaning you don’t need cell tower service to use GPS driven applications. The chip in your phone can locate your position on a map without 4g or cell service

Bring back Jim.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2015, 08:27 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Hiking, Backpacking, Skiing, Space History

Most smartphones however will take advantage of nearby wifi and cellular networks to improve their accuracy
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-22-2015, 11:16 PM
Summit Master

Location: Finally stopping that crazy suffering that is ice, climbing to concentrate on great ski tours!, .
Interest: Anything that can drag me to the mountains. Backpacking is #1, followed by climbing, dayhiking and camping with family.

First of all I DID READ THE ARTICLE. If one of you did, you'd actually read the following:

Starting with the 4S, iPhones have a GPS chip that function independently of the SIM card, meaning you don’t need cell tower service to use GPS driven applications.

Notice the text I bolded: Starting with the 4S

I noted that my iPhone 4, which was actually sold before the 4S will work the GPS independently of the SIM cars.

So maybe the third comment in the thread didn't read the article or my post. As the author of the article believes that the 4S was the first iPhone with GPS independent of the SIM card, the article had a minor (as I pointed out, minor) inaccuracy. But evidently this is a major cause for concern here.

Oh, and there are cases for the iPhone that are submersible. I have one.
W.C-hiker likes this.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2015, 09:47 AM
Hittin' the Trails

I'm using a Sony Z2 w canada maps. The phone itself is waterproof and has a 27mp camera. I've also got Gps Waipoints, Trimble outdoors and Back country installed as well. I've also got a few good manuals for first aid and other stuff downloaded. I can download gps coordinates and import them to Canada maps such as the trail I'm looking at hiking this fall. Got the trail coordinates from bivouac and saved them to an off line topo map. Course I've also got the paper map and a real compass. With a goal zero solar charger and battery pack and Biolite stove the phone is a good piece of kit
post #11 of (permalink) Old 06-22-2015, 04:44 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Fresh is very important. I like fresh seafood and fresh lettuce!

This app looks so innovative and I think it's the real deal and I won't get lost again!!!
Quote:
MAP IS IMPORTANT

Seeing yourself on the map is important. Your trip can be short or long, but you can check your position anytime.
Yeahhhhhh Baby!!!

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
post #12 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2015, 02:57 PM
Hittin' the Trails

A good GPS app should not just work with a signal but should incorporate offline map usage as well. I have helped develop a few GPS apps for iPhone that cover some big trails (lycian way, camino de santiago, Cappadocia, and Camino Portuguese for example) and one of the first updates we did was add in offline map functionality and a smart compass. You can simply use the GPS in your phone but I don't recommend relying on it alone unless an experienced trekker. You may be in an area that offers poor or no signal and this drains batteries quickly.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page