GPS Purchase - Page 2 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2014, 10:24 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking, skiing, camping, SAR, Canadian Rangers (army reserve)

Quote:
quote: Still the 60CSX for me - workhorse, fast, accurate, etc.
+1

Where can you still get them, I wonder?

Quote:
quote:I guess I can't really imagine why anyone would really want a GPS that has a map on a screen.
As long as you just want to retrace your steps, I guess..

Quote:
quote:Overall, comparing a Montana to the 60csx is like comparing a brand new car to a car from the 90's
If by that analogy you meant they took something that was well-made and reliable, and added a bunch of bells and whistles at the expense of over-all build quality, and ease of use, and charge 1.5x the price, then I'm in total agreement..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2014, 10:49 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by pmicheals

quote:
On that note I found that both my earlier HTC desire and current Samsung Note II phones have reliable GPS core modules providing reasonably accurate data so I also have been using my Garmin eTrex 30 less often. Likewise I find the eTrex 30 to be a good reliable unit as I tend not to keep my nose glued to a screen but it gives me the functionality when I need it.
Same here. I don't use my Etrex 30 much anymore in the outdoors. It has become a navigation tool when travelling in the USA, in my older jeep Cherokee (no built in GPS). I started getting good use from my HTC Desire smartphone, but switched to a LG Nexus 4, using AlpineQuest app. Good combo of power, functionality and offline map and hi-rez satellite image storage.

appreciate the link on Android GPS improvement. will look at it.
post #18 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2014, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

After doing additional research and contemplating, I found a great deal on a Garmin 62st and have purchased it. Thanks again, everyone for your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2014, 09:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dougz
If by that analogy you meant they took something that was well-made and reliable, and added a bunch of bells and whistles at the expense of over-all build quality, and ease of use, and charge 1.5x the price, then I'm in total agreement..
You're probably still rocking a flip phone, am I right? The Montana is well-made and reliable. The "bells and whistles" come in a form of a fresh, more modern look (although still far behind a smartphone), and a BIG touchscreen. There are some new features too, like profiles, which let you setup the GPS for specific uses; ie., driving or hiking. You also get a customizable home screen where you can put your most used icons. You also get an option to upload map imagery (google earth, a scan of a topo map, etc). It can also display shaded relief, which the old 60 couldn't. In the end, you're always free to use old technology if you're too stubborn to look forward, but all these things add to ease of use and usability.
post #20 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2014, 12:01 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking, skiing, camping, SAR, Canadian Rangers (army reserve)

Quote:
quote:You're probably still rocking a flip phone, am I right?
*sigh* I wish!

That thing worked WAY better than this POS 'smart' phone I have now..

Cameras that no longer take aa's, cars that short-circuit if they hit a bump the wrong way, phones that you can't even answer without swiping your finger across the screen just so..

Ease of use.. Hmph!! *grizzled, crumudgeon face*

post #21 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2014, 11:20 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by BushCountryBoy

After doing additional research and contemplating, I found a great deal on a Garmin 62st and have purchased it. Thanks again, everyone for your help!
Good choice. I certainly love mine.
post #22 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2014, 12:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dougz

Quote:
quote:You're probably still rocking a flip phone, am I right?
*sigh* I wish!

That thing worked WAY better than this POS 'smart' phone I have now..

Cameras that no longer take aa's, cars that short-circuit if they hit a bump the wrong way, phones that you can't even answer without swiping your finger across the screen just so..

Ease of use.. Hmph!! *grizzled, crumudgeon face*

I was completely correct in my assumptions about you. Well, what can I say. Maybe look into a horse carriage on wooden wheels, next time you hit a bump in your car.
post #23 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2014, 05:51 PM
Summit Master

Interest: I enjoy hiking

It would be nice to have a camera, GPS and headlamp that all took AA. There are too many different types of proprietary batteries now!
post #24 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2014, 06:51 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Arnold

Garmin Montana all the way. Great UI, easy to use, big touchscreen, accurate, fast, etc, etc. It also doubles as an excellent car GPS. Because the screen is so big, it's easy to navigate while driving. It even has voice directions with the Garmin windshield suction cup (although I have it usually turned off). Battery life depends on how much screen you use and how bright it is. 2 full days is possible if you don't use the screen much (battery saving mode turned off). It has lots of internal storage that you don't even need an external SD card. I have a 2gb card in it, and never had to use it. And I have lots of map data loaded too. Maps are also easy to load and it won't overwrite your existing maps if you load a new one, unlike the 60csx. You just need to rename your existing map file on the GPS prior to loading new maps.

There are a few bad things about it, which I can live with:

- The screen will turn on if you leave the GPS in your pocket, and that will drain the battery. To combat this I set the brightness to lowest and lock the screen (so that it doesn't jump from one UI screen to another, and won't change my settings).

- When you upload tracks to it, they're not shown on the map by default, and the only way I found to show them, is to individually set them to visible. A bit annoying.

- Crashes at times.

- Touchscreen is vulnerable. Make sure you don't drop it or drop something on the screen. Replacement is $200.

The first 3 points can be easily fixed with a firmware update, so hopefully Garmin smartens up and rolls the update out to fix these issues.

If you get the version with the camera, it is complete garbage. It is about 100 times worse than a phone camera. So don't think about ditching your real camera (or even phone camera) for the GPS camera. The nice thing about having GPS camera though (and where you might actually use it) is visually memorizing your route. When you take a photo, it puts that photo on your traveled track on the map. Later on you can come back to it to review it.

I had the 60csx, and would never use it again. Old, small screen, entering text into it is a nightmare (you have to scroll through the keyboard), and super-super-super sloooooooooooow. Also, I find it can be uncomfortable to carry in your pants pocket - too much stuff to poke you with. The only thing that goes for it, it's lighter, smaller, and the screen is stronger since it's not a touchscreen. Overall, comparing a Montana to the 60csx is like comparing a brand new car to a car from the 90's.
I bought a Montana a few months back and just love it. I have Backroads GPS map loaded onto it. The only GPS I have had, so can't compare it to anything else though. Photo quality does suck big time, but I don't use it anyway.
As for the touchscreen turning on in your pocket, I had the same problem, but keep it in a camera bag, with my camera, on my chest strap. I just put a plastic hockey card holder between it and the camera...problem solved perfectly.
post #25 of (permalink) Old 03-17-2014, 11:11 PM
RGB
Banned

I'm also considering a newer GPS for hiking etc.

From this thread at NWHikers, the main recommendation is the Garmin 60CSx with the SiRF chipset.

http://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewt...792&highlight=
post #26 of (permalink) Old 03-17-2014, 11:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by RGB

From this thread at NWHikers, the main recommendation is the Garmin 60CSx with the SiRF chipset.

Again, read this thread about the 60csx. It was a great unit once, but its days are over. Of course you're always welcome to use Windows 98, if you think it's awesome and you found some other clueless think alikes on the internet.
post #27 of (permalink) Old 03-18-2014, 06:20 PM
RGB
Banned

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Arnold

Quote:

Again, read this thread about the 60csx. It was a great unit once, but its days are over. Of course you're always welcome to use Windows 98, if you think it's awesome and you found some other clueless think alikes on the internet.
No need for sarcasm. I can't afford a brand new model. And the people at NWHikers on that thread are knowledgeable. Maybe you didn't bother to read it.
post #28 of (permalink) Old 03-18-2014, 10:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
I can't afford a brand new model.
If you have to stay in a certain price range, then it's a different story.

Quote:
quote:And the people at NWHikers on that thread are knowledgeable. Maybe you didn't bother to read it.
I read that thread, it's so very short, there isn't much to read. I don't know what you found there so enlightening. All I see is a hollow response by someone "Yes, a large number of people think the 60CSx is the best GPS ever made". That says absolutely nothing other than that person follows the herd. I gave enough good points why this GPS is not the best anymore, but you didn't seem to bother reading this thread.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page