iPhone app that imports kml files with gps functio - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2014, 01:22 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Default iPhone app that imports kml files with gps functio

I know this exists for the android, can't remember the name and they don't have an iPhone version .

Does anyone know of an app where you can load a kml file , that has tracks, that will then allow navigation with this as the basemap?

Hiking is ok when you can't ski or ride
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2014, 02:17 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by shinsplints

I know this exists for the android, can't remember the name and they don't have an iPhone version .

Does anyone know of an app where you can load a kml file , that has tracks, that will then allow navigation with this as the basemap?
I use Alpine Quest on Android. Just great, produces/exports GPX and imports KML(z). stores topo and Google satellite off line. The problem on iPhone is that KML(z) is Google's (Android) format. Since Apple and Google regularly pee on each others corn flakes, I'm not sure you'll find a good iPhone app that handles KML's with the fluency of an Android app.

Lots of iPhone types use View Ranger, but I think it only handles GPX files. Might be best to stick to GPX and use that app. Google maps imports GPX just fine
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2014, 02:23 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Thanks!

I usually use a GPS, after seeing the kml navigation in the android it would be more useful to see terrain features on google earth then the current base maps!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2014, 02:58 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by shinsplints

Thanks!

I usually use a GPS, after seeing the kml navigation in the android it would be more useful to see terrain features on Google earth then the current base maps!
I don't even use my GPS anymore. The Nexus phone and Alpine Quest just do everything, including excellent offline storage of Google satellite images and Canada NTS Topo maps. So nice to import someone else's KML or GPX and follow it, at high resolution, on Google Satellite imagery while offline and in a wild and remote place. Amazing, actually.

I guess Apple has the music/TV scene in their camp but Google/Android have the mapping space sewn up.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2014, 08:43 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking, exploring, reading, random shiny things

Huh. Looks like I need to start paying attention to "modern methods". When my GPS unit was packed in a box, I resorted to taking a screenshot of a topo and route and uploading the photo to my phone. Kind of a workaround for the fact that I didn't have a paper map.

Whatever works I guess.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page