Waterproof North Shore Trails Map - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-10-2013, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Default Waterproof North Shore Trails Map

I've been through two of my North Shore Trails maps in the last season due to moisture, and eventually tearing them along a fold by accident. Does anyone know of any good waterproof trails maps for the north shore region, and where they would be available for sale?

Ryan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-10-2013, 06:15 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: general mountaineering/ hiking/ backpacking/ skiing/ kayaking

Nikwax makes a product called Map Proof. It's a water based silicone product that comes in 125 ml bottles, for about $10 per bottle and will do about two topo maps.

As well as waterproofing the paper, it also makes the paper more supple and folds don't get ratty and wear through like untreated paper. The applicator tip on the bottle is useless and I just cut the top off and brush it on with a foam brush. the product goes further and applies faster with a foam brush.

The rub is the big price for a little bottle, as we all know that packaging is costly. I wrote the company a few years ago to see if I could buy the product in a larger quantity, like a litre. They replied that it would be available in a 5 gallon bucket for a small fortune, so I dropped the pursuit.

The product is thin and white, like skimmed milk and resembles some of the water based urethane's that are for wood finishes, which I may experiment with on paper.

Any how, if anyone knows a better cheaper way to waterproof paper, let me know. I'm restoring an old summit register from the Golden Hinde and waterproofing it's pages, so it can go back to it's rightful place on the summit.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-10-2013, 06:35 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Go to MEC. They have a good waterproof north shore map.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-10-2013, 09:13 PM
Hittin' the Trails

There is a new map available: "North Shore Trail Map". I have been using it quite a bit since last summer and it's great. Waterproof too! Bought my copy at MEC. Here is the info: http://www.trailventuresbc.com/maps/...e-map/map-info
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-10-2013, 11:43 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Hiking, Scrambling, Trail Running, Mountain Biking, SAR

the Trail Ventures map is highly recommended
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 12:28 AM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Thanks for the responses!

Clarification on the Trail Ventures map: being GPS based, does that just mean that it's oriented to true north and not magnetic north?

Ryan
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 07:40 PM
Hittin' the Trails

I think it was made by using GPS equipment. In other words, more accurate and the map appears to be designed for use with a GPS.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-12-2013, 06:48 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ryanisnan

Clarification on the Trail Ventures map: being GPS based, does that just mean that it's oriented to true north and not magnetic north?

Ryan
By definition, lines of longitude on any transverse mercator map of which UTM is a subset are oriented to true north. There would be no point in orienting a map to magnetic north. There are standard procedures for compensating for magnetic north when using a compass to navigate. Not sure what anyone means that a map is gps-based. Gps is just a technology to determine a position in lat-lon coordinates or otherwise, UTM for example. Surveying is another technique to determine position. There are many ways to determine position (e.g. triangulation by backsighting with a compass to known points). Gps is just another variant in the same game. What will you do when your battery dies or China hacks the satellites? You should carry a map, compass and altimeter and learn how to use them. Just a thought.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-13-2013, 06:32 AM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Stoked

By definition, lines of longitude on any transverse mercator map of which UTM is a subset are oriented to true north. There would be no point in orienting a map to magnetic north. There are standard procedures for compensating for magnetic north when using a compass to navigate. Not sure what anyone means that a map is gps-based. Gps is just a technology to determine a position in lat-lon coordinates or otherwise, UTM for example. Surveying is another technique to determine position. There are many ways to determine position (e.g. triangulation by backsighting with a compass to known points). Gps is just another variant in the same game. What will you do when your battery dies or China hacks the satellites? You should carry a map, compass and altimeter and learn how to use them. Just a thought.
I'm not really worried about China hacking satellites but hey, you never know

I always use a map and a compass, and was only curious about the term 'GPS-Based' because it says so on the map's cover.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page