Google Earth offline maps for Android. - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-16-2013, 11:43 AM Thread Starter
Off the Beaten Path

Default Google Earth offline maps for Android.

I have been looking for a way to utilize Google earth and created routes from Google Earth even when not within cell range. I like the idea of being able to look at a route as created on Google Earth and compare it to topo maps and gps. I like it because it gives you the possibility of comparing land features such as cut blocks, scree fields, etc etc and comparing that to what you see around you and avoid taking longer routes or getting off course potentially

The method is quite simple and I'm sure some of us have already figured it out, but here is what I did.

Find a mountain on Google Earth and zoom into the area you'd like to be able to view offline, you then save a kml file of what you are seeing to the location of your choice on your computer. Email it to yourself and make sure you recieve that email to your phone. Save the kml to your phone's sd card or memory and it will automatically be loaded to your Google Earth that you have installed on your android and be viewable whenever you go to that email or open the file from your phone.

If it's any use, my android is the Samsung S3.

Good luck!

Please let me know how it works out for you.

Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page