GPS Apps on Smartphone - Page 2 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2013, 01:24 AM
Headed for the Mountains

I have a nokia n8, and it's still new to me only having gotten it last year.

Yes I do occasionally get smartphone envy, but the reality is, that my phone has the best camera around.

I would imagine that having a dedicated gps mapping app would be great, but part of me likes the aspect of preplanning a route, putting it into memory, then going on a trip and getting some self satisfiaction that what is in my head is unfolding as it should, which might also explain as to why men get lost more often.

That view ranger looks awsome, but I'm a curmedgon that doesn't like putting too much stuff on my phone. I'm always weary of apps that are free. If the item is free, then your personal information IS the product.

Like my Nokia N8.

If I plan on going on a interesting hike, I set up waypoints on the nokia map website and sync them to my phone.

If I truly get lost, then all I have to do is turn on the phone, and with a compass, just follow the arrow to the waypoint. I might not know the elevation and the exact route, but at least I know it's over there somewhere.

One can't argue though that phones have really changed over the past five years. What has been happening over the past TWO years is nothing short of stunning.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of (permalink) Old 01-26-2013, 12:17 PM
Banned

I just bought a Samsung Galaxy note 2. It's my first smart phone so I am just scratching the surface of it's abilities. I have played with mapping software but not GPS functionality.

I should give some of these apps a try!

FWIW - google maps on my phone is nearly the same as on the computer, except I haven't found an easy way of using my personal google maps.
post #18 of (permalink) Old 01-26-2013, 01:31 PM
Scaling New Heights

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by cdanes

I actually built one myself for the Android. It uses Google Terrain/Topographical maps (which can be used offline if you pre-explore the area you're going to be traveling in). I also made it download accurate elevation data once you're in data/wifi range.

And yeah, like all apps that use the GPS, it does drain the battery somewhat but nowhere near as much as the phone trying to seek a 3G connection when you're out of range. If you want the battery to last you can always turn off the antenna while in the backcountry. All you need is the GPS receiver to be on. Also, to extend it even more, you can just pause the tracker while you're stopped for lunch, etc.

As an example, I'm using a Nexus One, and I don't bother turning off any antennas. I can easily track for about 6 hours with the battery staying above half full.

I've been using it for almost two years now but I have only just released it two months ago on Google Play. I've mostly been using it for hiking, biking, snowboarding and backcountry skiing.

Here are some screenshots:

More details and screenshots here: Snail Trail GPS Sports Tracker
I downloaded this program, but it wouldn't run once installed? My phone is a LG-P500h, running android ver. 2.2.1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of (permalink) Old 01-26-2013, 03:25 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Canada Topo Maps Pro is great.

The free version is ok as well.
post #20 of (permalink) Old 01-26-2013, 07:08 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Hiking, AT Skiing, Snowboarding, XC Biking, Climbing

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Nailz65
I downloaded this program, but it wouldn't run once installed? My phone is a LG-P500h, running android ver. 2.2.1
Sorry to hear it didn't work for you. I have a limited number of handsets to test with so it's hard to get it to run for all phones. If it crashes when it starts just send me the bug report and I'll try to fix it. Thanks for trying it out tho.
post #21 of (permalink) Old 01-26-2013, 09:27 PM
Scaling New Heights

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by cdanes

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Nailz65
Sorry to hear it didn't work for you. I have a limited number of handsets to test with so it's hard to get it to run for all phones. If it crashes when it starts just send me the bug report and I'll try to fix it. Thanks for trying it out tho.
Thanks for the reply, I did send in the bug report, I'll try to load it again later
post #22 of (permalink) Old 02-06-2013, 02:13 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Good topic! I've dabbled around trying to figure out the best way to get my maps into a smart phone and, as someone who makes a living from making maps, I've started using a service/app from Avenza call PDF Maps. It's really simple - I geo-register a TIFF or PDF, upload it to their "map store" and they make it available through an iTunes-like set up (they are working on an Android solution as well). And the service is free (however, I do charge a very small fee for the maps)

The maps are stored directly on the device so there's no need to be in cell range to navigate - the device will use GPS. So far I've got three maps available for the iOS (Manning Park is in progress):

Garibaldi Park, BC
Callaghan Valley, BC
Algonquin Park, ON

More info on my website - www.clarkgeomatics.ca/ios.html

I've attached a screen shot of the Garibaldi Park map.

post #23 of (permalink) Old 02-10-2013, 05:39 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, backpacking, snowshoeing, photography, computers, yoga and traveling.

I've used it typically for traveling.. The past couple visits to Hawaii, I have used the Revealed series books on the iPhone which has a built in map. Has worked awesome for finding trailheads and some navigation.

post #24 of (permalink) Old 02-10-2013, 11:37 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jeff_clark

Good topic! I've dabbled around trying to figure out the best way to get my maps into a smart phone and, as someone who makes a living from making maps, I've started using a service/app from Avenza call PDF Maps. It's really simple - I geo-register a TIFF or PDF, upload it to their "map store" and they make it available through an iTunes-like set up (they are working on an Android solution as well). And the service is free (however, I do charge a very small fee for the maps)

The maps are stored directly on the device so there's no need to be in cell range to navigate - the device will use GPS. So far I've got three maps available for the iOS (Manning Park is in progress):

Garibaldi Park, BC
Callaghan Valley, BC
Algonquin Park, ON

More info on my website - www.clarkgeomatics.ca/ios.html

I've attached a screen shot of the Garibaldi Park map.

Jeff do you offer the uploads for all of us who have already purchased the paper versions and can they be loaded into a conventional GPS with map display?
post #25 of (permalink) Old 02-11-2013, 12:21 AM
High on the Mountain Top

I don't find GPS on smartphone to be an adequate substitute for a real GPS unit. Would never rely on a smartphone on a serious trip. Smartphone GPS drains battery fairly quickly, is not as accurate and I like many features available on GPS units. I also like to have a GPS track available before a trip either drawn on GoogleEarth or downloaded from a web-site.

In short, using smartphone GPS for serious navigation is like using smartphone camera for serious photography. It's going to give some results but one the best ones.
post #26 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2013, 11:56 AM
Hittin' the Trails

There is no mechanism within the iTunes / MapStore to provide coupons or other promotional items - therefore, unfortunately, I can't offer the map to those of you who've purchased the map. Mind you, it's only $1.99 for the map (of which I get about 30%) - pretty good bang for your toonie.
post #27 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2013, 02:33 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Wow,just 30%?

Too bad there isn't a fancy way to put in a "$" in the Apple moniker like they do with Micro$oft.
post #28 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2013, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Engor

I don't find GPS on smartphone to be an adequate substitute for a real GPS unit. Would never rely on a smartphone on a serious trip. Smartphone GPS drains battery fairly quickly, is not as accurate and I like many features available on GPS units. I also like to have a GPS track available before a trip either drawn on GoogleEarth or downloaded from a web-site.

In short, using smartphone GPS for serious navigation is like using smartphone camera for serious photography. It's going to give some results but one the best ones.
I think the gps units that drain their batteries faster give you less time than some smartphones running their gps unit. I can't recall seeing a "real" gps that allows you to choose the amount of power used by the receiver, as TrekBuddy can on a smartphone.

I have compared a "real" gps unit to a smartphone gps app, and they were equally accurate. While there may be things a "real" gps can to that a gps app on a smartphone can't, this doesn't make sense to me. It is, after all, just software and a gps reciever. If anything, the smartphone has a more sophisticated "brain" than a dedicated gps, and there's no reason all the software for a real gps can't be ported over to a smartphone.

What can a "real" gps do that a gps smartphone app cant? On the other hand, how many "real" gps' can display satellite views? One or two? I haven't seen an SMS "meet you there" capability on a "real" gps.

I thought I illustrated that gps apps on smartphones can upload and download things like tracks.

Where the "real" gps has an undeniable advantage over a smartphone is in receiver sensitivity. If you have a look at the gps aerial in a smartphone, you'd be amazed it works at all.

I suppose you won't sell photos to National Geographic with the 12Mpixel camera in the Nokia N8 with a Zeiss lens, but it may just be good enough for most photography.

And what sort of a "serious trip" do you have in mind when considering dependency on a gps?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page