Offline Maps for iPhone - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-29-2012, 01:34 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Default Offline Maps for iPhone

I am looking for maps around Vancouver (let's say cover Pemberton-ManningPark-Coquihalla-Lytton area) that I can look up on my iphone. The main requirement is offline. I am interested in both topo maps and something like google maps. I found a few, but would really appreciate advice from personal experience
http://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/offli...376535806?mt=8
http://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/gaia-...329127297?mt=8
This is online, but it says there is an option to download section for later offline usage, which is not very convenient.
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/outdo...404223457?mt=8

This is only for Vancouver
http://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/vanco...428569448?mt=8
http://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/vanco...305407113?mt=8
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-29-2012, 02:10 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Climbing

cache the map when you have internet then use gps when you get to where you want to be.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-29-2012, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

That's what I do now
But sometimes I don't know in advance that I'd need that area. It's like a paper map I keep in my car and look up once in a while how to get from one place to another.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-29-2012, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Besides, I found phone gps gets it wrong most of the time (maybe there is a mismatch with cached maps, I don't know). So gps is no use, I just look it once in a while to see how wrong it is this time
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-29-2012, 04:07 PM
Off the Beaten Path

I use a free app called Topographic Maps Canada - it basically has electronic versions of the Canadian topo organized by map sheet (e.g. 92G11 is Squamish) You have to download the sheets you want while you have internet, then they are loaded on your phone. I have most of south western BC loaded in my phone all the time. For a free app, it's awesome.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-29-2012, 04:09 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Exploring the Coast Mountains and surrounding ocean waters in all seasons.

Have you tried MotionX. Their maps for the Whistler area are accurate and include trails, roads, etc like Toporama does not.

Cache the maps and then use with MotionX in the field. They are very accurate in our experience.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 03:07 PM
Hittin' the Trails

My wife and I develop Gaia GPS.

The app has several good Canadian map sources, which can all be cached for offline use.

Here are the ones we pay to include or run the server ourselves:

* NRCan vector topos
* raster topos for the west
* OpenCycleMap (an OSM based topo map)

There are also several user-suggested sources, which we don't control, that you can use in the app as well.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 06:17 PM
Scaling New Heights

I've used MotionX, Offmaps, and most recently Gaia. The best for offline hiking is Gaia -- it has the most useful map sources and drains less battery than MotionX. I was surprised to see high quality topos with recent trails in BC marked on them (via OpenCycleMap source).
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 11:46 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Was talking to a friend the other day who researches everything and always has the best stuff. He said that Gaia will work with a Delorme Inreach GPS beacon via Bluetooth and in airplane mode has good battery life. So you get the ability to 2 way text and track your progress. Seems pretty cool and I'll be looking into this more.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-27-2012, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

I finally got Gaia I it doesn't seem to work. It's true that it has Canadian maps, but this is all I can get.

If I try to enlarge it, I either get nothing like in Chilliwack - just black area

or nothing like in Whistler - just enlarge same screen with no further details

What am I doing wrong?
Also, I couldn't find a user guide or something to check if I don't understand how to use properly, but there is nothing either. Given, most other apps cost $1-$5, I am rather disappointed by this $10 app.
post #11 of (permalink) Old 10-27-2012, 06:49 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Interest: scrambling...

I use iTopo - its great. Its just a copy of the topo maps, nothing more. You download each one as required before you head out. Has been very accurate. Downside is the maps are not current. Mountains don't move, but roads change. Not to be used as your only navigation tool, but still a great asset.
post #12 of (permalink) Old 10-28-2012, 09:12 AM
High on the Mountain Top

I'm an Android HTC user, pretty much tried every mapping tool out there. Some topo products are pretty good and there are decent on-device street navigation tools as well.

However, I still find that simply scanning way ahead and all around my destination area with the default GPS/Mapping app will cache everything pretty well. I just give myself a really wide berth to account for any route changes. Once the scrolling/caching is done and any internet mobile/WiFi shut off, it works fine

I also do this for GPS navigation in the UK as I go there for work a lot, and drive extensively. I just do the cache trick using the heathrow airport WiFi then turn off all internet access, keep the GPS on, and I'm good for driving pretty much anywhere.
post #13 of (permalink) Old 10-31-2012, 02:19 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Well, the point is when I know in advance I'd need some erea I just cache google maps. But once in a while I endup or need to get somewhere I didn't plan ahead. If I am in the car, I use paper map of Greater Vancouver area. If I am on a byke let's say in Richmond or North Van, I am in trouble.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page