North Shore rescues highlight flaws in GPS system - Page 2 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of (permalink) Old 03-16-2012, 05:30 AM
Summit Master

Location: Finally stopping that crazy suffering that is ice, climbing to concentrate on great ski tours!, .
Interest: Anything that can drag me to the mountains. Backpacking is #1, followed by climbing, dayhiking and camping with family.

A few years ago we ascended Mt. Snowdome in a total white-out. We wanded the route, as there were no shortage of open slots as well as an icefall we wanted to avoid drifting over into. We also marked the wands with the GPS.

Descending, the GPS led us right to each wand within a few meters. We followed the GPS track down and it worked perfectly. However, that is the perfect environment for using a GPS. Operating at 2900-3500M, wide open sky, etc. 12 sats all the time.

In other types of terrain, I only use the GPS occasionally and not trying to precisely retrace steps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of (permalink) Old 03-16-2012, 09:54 AM
Super Moderator

Interest: hiking, backpacking, scrambling, climbing

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by booewen

Interestingly enough....my Blackberry works WAAAAAY more accurately than my garmin etrex in terms of judging distance traveled over the course of the day.
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by rocker_man1

Now my Garmin 60Cx is always very good at estimating my distances.
And there's the difference. I hear the brand new etrex units are decent, but my experience is with the older ones, and for the use they give, I wouldn't even consider them worth their weight. They will usually pick up a signal in perfect conditions, but add a tree or two, and it's over. I have no use for the small GPS units, and see a huge difference in performance with the ones that have the antenna out the top.
post #18 of (permalink) Old 03-16-2012, 11:43 AM
Summit Master

I have one of the old Etrex units. Must be at least 15 years old, works perfectly fine as long as you are not a complete dolt and standing under the thickest biggest tree around or in a cave.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of (permalink) Old 03-16-2012, 12:53 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Rachelo

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by booewen

Interestingly enough....my Blackberry works WAAAAAY more accurately than my garmin etrex in terms of judging distance traveled over the course of the day.
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by rocker_man1

Now my Garmin 60Cx is always very good at estimating my distances.
And there's the difference. I hear the brand new etrex units are decent, but my experience is with the older ones, and for the use they give, I wouldn't even consider them worth their weight. They will usually pick up a signal in perfect conditions, but add a tree or two, and it's over. I have no use for the small GPS units, and see a huge difference in performance with the ones that have the antenna out the top.
Although the older versions are 12 channel parallel tracking there is a compromise in antenna size. External antennas were availlable (GA27c) and improved the situation somewhat. Or you can build a re-radiating antenna
http://www.gartrip.de/antenna.htm
post #20 of (permalink) Old 03-16-2012, 02:09 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sandy

I have one of the old Etrex units. Must be at least 15 years old, works perfectly fine as long as you are not a complete dolt and standing under the thickest biggest tree around or in a cave.
Maybe there's a lot of variation in their quality or in their durability? The ones we have seem to lose their signal if there's so much as a tree or two anywhere near. Hiking in a typical open Rocky Mountain forest will usually not manage to even get a lock, let alone an accurate one.
post #21 of (permalink) Old 03-16-2012, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by camshaft

Thanks for the Link peter1955

I was a little mislead by your post as it originality made me believe GPS in general. After reading the link it became clear it was in relation to cell phones.
The title of the post was what the newspaper called it. One difference that's obvious in the article is that we're talking about NSR trying to track lost people using the GPS coordinates broadcast by their phones, not people trying to get back to a trailhead by relying on what their phones were telling them.
post #22 of (permalink) Old 03-17-2012, 09:42 AM
Headed for the Mountains

On a similar note, If you lose track of a buddy (back country or anywhere) google latitude will show you their location if your both enabled. Or on scarier note go to cellnumber.ca and punch in anybodies cell number. Depending on what you have for apps on your phone it will show you where they are up to a few meters, provided of course the phone is on and in coverage area.
post #23 of (permalink) Old 03-17-2012, 09:55 AM
Banned

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by peter1955

http://www.nsnews.com/North+Shore+re...176/story.html
This article is about cell phone GPS systems, not real satellite GPS. The 2 have nothing to do together in 1 thread.

Quote:
quote:I once asked a lady who had a GPS how far we'd come on an easy river valley hike. The unit told her we'd done 6 km (it was closer to 1.5) and had been walking at a steady pace of 11 kph.
And? Your point is what? If you understand how it records your travel distance, then you'd know that it's an estimate. However, it's spot on when you're traveling fast in a car. Know its limitations, it will stray you away from dumb conclusions.

Quote:
quote:I've also seen them work just fine, but I would NEVER rely on one.
Then don't. Buy a compass and play GPS games on your GPS.
post #24 of (permalink) Old 03-17-2012, 12:43 PM
Summit Master

A spokesperson from Telus was quoted on this subject in an article in the Vancouver Sun this week. He made the correct distinctions between different types of phones, their gps systems, and location methods.
post #25 of (permalink) Old 03-19-2012, 02:00 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Arnold

Quote:

http://www.nsnews.com/North+Shore+re...176/story.html
This article is about cell phone GPS systems, not real satellite GPS. The 2 have nothing to do together in 1 thread.

Quote:
quote:I once asked a lady who had a GPS how far we'd come on an easy river valley hike. The unit told her we'd done 6 km (it was closer to 1.5) and had been walking at a steady pace of 11 kph.
And? Your point is what? If you understand how it records your travel distance, then you'd know that it's an estimate. However, it's spot on when you're traveling fast in a car. Know its limitations, it will stray you away from dumb conclusions.

Quote:
quote:I've also seen them work just fine, but I would NEVER rely on one.
Then don't. Buy a compass and play GPS games on your GPS.
Having a bad day, Arnold? Don't be a jerk. Read what I said before you go shooting your face off.

The article speaks for itself. I commented on my personal experiences with GPS units, views that seem to shared by a few people here.
post #26 of (permalink) Old 03-19-2012, 06:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Having a bad day, Arnold?
I had a wonderful day. Thanks for caring.

Quote:
quote: Don't be a jerk. Read what I said before you go shooting your face off.
I read what you said.

Quote:
quote:The article speaks for itself.
If you want to talk about cell phone GPS, then mention that in your title. Is changing common sense easier than changing thread title?

Quote:
quote: I commented on my personal experiences with GPS units, views that seem to shared by a few people here.
Must have been really shitty experiences, as even the thread refused to show them.
post #27 of (permalink) Old 03-19-2012, 07:01 PM
High on the Mountain Top

i tried cellnumber.ca and it was off by 20-30km

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by omegarun

On a similar note, If you lose track of a buddy (back country or anywhere) google latitude will show you their location if your both enabled. Or on scarier note go to cellnumber.ca and punch in anybodies cell number. Depending on what you have for apps on your phone it will show you where they are up to a few meters, provided of course the phone is on and in coverage area.
post #28 of (permalink) Old 03-19-2012, 07:41 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Women

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by camshaft

i tried cellnumber.ca and it was off by 20-30km

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by omegarun

Me too, I did a test on a friends cell, it said he had a landline and he was in Chilliwack, meenwhile he lives in Hope, and is in Hope. I think all that site does is looks up the number prefix for the given area, and states the area, doesn't track anything. I also dislike sites like that, they say to find out who owns this number click here, then ask for a credit card to look them up.

post #29 of (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 12:16 AM
Summit Master

A bit off topic, but these people drove into the ocean while following directions on their gps:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1363823.html
post #30 of (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 01:17 AM
Super Moderator

*Nothing* can replace having and using a brain.
Anyone who blindly trusts an instrument or a computer or another person despite all obvious signs to the contrary is rather beyond help. The failure of users to use the system properly is not a failing of the system. the use of cheap, basic devices that aren't intended for metre-by-metre navigation is a user failure. An inability to recognise when the system might have glitched is evidence of brainlessness, and suggests that the user would have been just as bad off without the glitch.

As a teenager, I once looked at a map, didn't look at the street, and told a driving friend to take the next left. She asked whether I was sure, and I said we definitely needed the left. So she proceeded to turn left - the wrong way onto a one-way road. I, of course, had been unaware we were in a place with one-ways, and should have specified 'the next safe and legal left'. But whether it's a human giving you directions or a GPS unit, when you put away your brain, you're asking for problems.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page