Google Maps Hiking Trails - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2012, 07:34 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Default Google Maps Hiking Trails

I've been working a bit with the new Google Maps "Map Maker" feature, which lets regular users edit and add details into the Google Maps system. It's possible to add hiking trails, and I've done a few already - take a look at Zoa Peak at Coquihalla Summit, for example.

If anyone else is interested in helping map out a few trails, I'm more than willing to give a tutorial or two on how to use the system.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2012, 08:32 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Cool, thanks - I didn't know people could add stuff on Google Maps!

OpenStreetMap.org is still the most complete source of trail maps that I've seen, with almost everything around the Lower Mainland (but nothing on the Coquihalla I notice now). For anyone who hasn't used the OSM site before, just click on the "+" sign near the top right and select "Cycle Map" to get a topo map with contour lines.

I also found an app called "Mapster" for the iPhone which gives you access to the same OSM data (and caches it for offline usage once you view it once). I now find I use this more than my Garmin+Ibycus since it has all the trails marked, especially for confirming trailheads/junctions etc. Also very useful for researching hiking trails when travelling, as it has worldwide coverage!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2012, 08:59 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sansell

Cool, thanks - I didn't know people could add stuff on Google Maps!

OpenStreetMap.org is still the most complete source of trail maps that I've seen, with almost everything around the Lower Mainland (but nothing on the Coquihalla I notice now). For anyone who hasn't used the OSM site before, just click on the "+" sign near the top right and select "Cycle Map" to get a topo map with contour lines.

I also found an app called "Mapster" for the iPhone which gives you access to the same OSM data (and caches it for offline usage once you view it once). I now find I use this more than my Garmin+Ibycus since it has all the trails marked, especially for confirming trailheads/junctions etc. Also very useful for researching hiking trails when travelling, as it has worldwide coverage!
Cool. I've been exploring the North Shore this year. Very helpful!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2012, 09:10 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, watercolour painting, chasing wildlife, backcountry cooking

Is there a way to add huts?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2012, 09:59 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mad owl woman

I only found these two on Cypress, so you may have to add more...

http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=49...om=15&layers=C
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2012, 11:14 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ShadowChaser

I've been working a bit with the new Google Maps "Map Maker" feature, which lets regular users edit and add details into the Google Maps system. It's possible to add hiking trails, and I've done a few already - take a look at Zoa Peak at Coquihalla Summit, for example.

If anyone else is interested in helping map out a few trails, I'm more than willing to give a tutorial or two on how to use the system.
I noticed the Zoa Peak one the other day! Small world.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2012, 06:07 AM
High on the Mountain Top

OpenStreetMap is awesome. If i had the time to contribute to one of those two, I'd go with OpenStreetMap. You can take their trails and load them into GPS units. They already have a ton of trails in there worldwide.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2012, 08:29 AM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Hiking, Scrambling, Trail Running, Mountain Biking, SAR

They have North Shore Rescue trail data for the North Shore.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2012, 10:17 AM
Scaling New Heights

Do you have to manually draw the route into Google Maps or can you upload a track?
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2012, 11:11 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Mountaineering, Backcountry Skiing, Hiking, Rock Climbing, Photography

Cool, but how do I make it appear in Google Earth?
post #11 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2012, 12:23 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mad owl woman

I don't believe there's a point of interest category for huts yet. However, there is one for "Tea House" (ie/ Canadian Rockies). Google occasionally adds new ones when requested.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by plav77

Do you have to manually draw the route into Google Maps or can you upload a track?
You need to manually draw the route - I believe this is to prevent people from uploading copyrighted data. What I do is take my original track file and clean it up in Garmin MapSource first - removing obvious points where the GPS went haywire. I then remove everything except for the "nice" track and save it as a GPX file. I then use a tool to convert it to KML, upload it to a URL, and under Google MapMaker I select "layers" and point it to the KML url. It then draws the track in the display, and I "draw over top". I usually stay in satellite view when I do this - sometimes I can see the trail itself above tree line, and I'll draw over that rather than the GPS data. The satellite data is more accurate.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page