Free Garmin GPS Maps - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-03-2011, 06:34 AM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Default Free Garmin GPS Maps

Ibycus Topo (http://www.ibycus.com/ibycustopo/)
Superb topo map for Garmin devices. I believe this one is made from government's map. Yes this is the map I use and more likely you have seen screenshots of the map if you check my website's TRs (www.soistheman.com). However it's 3.1GB size and you need to know how to download with torrent (no longer direct download available) and how to use .iso file to install it. Unless you are computer genius like me, it's hard to use this awesome map.

Ibycus Topo The Rockies & Columbia Mts
So I decided to make a subset of Ibycus map for mountain lovers. This subset contains the Rockies and Columbia Mountians and the size of the file is down to 122MB. Unfortunately I only made Window's version. I have tested with Vista (64bit) and XP (32bit) machines and worked fine. Use the map at your own risk. I may help you if I feel like it. License stuff is inherited from Ibycus. It's still his credit and his map, not mine.

To Install:
1) Download the installer from my website
http://www.soistheman.com/download/d...oMtnsSetup.exe

2) Double click IbycusTopoMtnsSetup.exe. This will start installer and follow the process.

3) Open Garmin Mapsource or Basecamp, you should see the new map installed.

To uninstall:
Go to folder where you have installed the map, and double click uninstaller.exe
or open Control Panel --> Add or Remove Programs with XP, Control Panel --> Programs and Feature with Vista & 7.

Southern Alberta Trail Map (http://www.calgarycachers.net/trailmaps/maps.htm)
Lots of trails are embedded in the map. Periodically new trails are added as well.

Quad Squad (http://www.quadsquad.ca/node/41)
This is map for quads but we can still use these trails for biking and hiking. Especially useful down south where many trails aren't covered in too many hiking books.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-17-2011, 10:22 PM
Off the Beaten Path

post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 10:32 AM
Off the Beaten Path

Thanks for the info!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 12:58 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Women

My father gave me a Garmin Nuvi 1350 (vehicle gps) for my truck because he didn't use it. It had old maps so I just recently used utorrent as mentioned above and downloaded the newer updated street maps, plus garmin topo map for BC. Donwloaded them onto a memory card into a garmin folder, plugged the memory card in and presto, instant maps. I can only run one map of streets or topo at a time however.

What's the difference between using the garmin topo maps vs the ones mentioned here? Are they any better? I was amazed at the garmin topo map, it included many mountain names as well.

As long as they are recent I'd assume they would be very much the same regardless of who distributes them in their name?

The one I downloaded is:
Garmin Canada Topo v4 - British Columbia Region

post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 01:22 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by AcesHigh

My father gave me a Garmin Nuvi 1350 (vehicle gps) for my truck because he didn't use it. It had old maps so I just recently used utorrent as mentioned above and downloaded the newer updated street maps, plus garmin topo map for BC. Donwloaded them onto a memory card into a garmin folder, plugged the memory card in and presto, instant maps. I can only run one map of streets or topo at a time however.

What's the difference between using the garmin topo maps vs the ones mentioned here? Are they any better? I was amazed at the garmin topo map, it included many mountain names as well.

As long as they are recent I'd assume they would be very much the same regardless of who distributes them in their name?

The one I downloaded is:
I think the main difference is that the Garmin maps cost money and the Ibycus maps don't.
Rachelo likes this.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 04:04 PM
Summit Master

By watching the videos and reading the information, seems much easier just to utorrent the actual garmin maps.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 04:06 PM
Summit Master

^ ditto to that... Thanks for the link... Just did it...
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 08:13 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Its hit and miss on the Garmin maps..

I personaly downloaded garmin TOPO Canada and garmin TOPO USA about a year or so ago.

Quote:

By watching the videos and reading the information, seems much easier just to utorrent the actual garmin maps.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-19-2011, 07:52 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:

Yeah, it seems all good until the map police show up!
post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-19-2011, 03:30 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by swebster

Quote:

Yeah, it seems all good until the map police show up!
Hahaha, ya I wondered about that, they can track you no problem.

post #11 of (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 10:39 AM
Super Moderator

Interest: hiking, backpacking, scrambling, climbing

Quote:

For people interested in getting maps *legally* for free, the Ibycus are excellent.
I didn't have any problem with them.
post #12 of (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 06:24 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Rachelo

Quote:

For people interested in getting maps *legally* for free, the Ibycus are excellent.
I didn't have any problem with them.
I see... A good percentage of internet users download Mp3s or movies without paying for them so I just figured while they have utorrent open, they'd find it interesting to know it is 10 x easier to just download the garmin maps for free too. It's a one step process, one file copy and paste, however when I viewed the "How to" videos on the site above I found it to be way too much work.

post #13 of (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 11:06 PM
Off the Beaten Path

https://www.ipredator.se/

or use other such services.
post #14 of (permalink) Old 12-16-2011, 07:20 AM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by swebster

Quote:

The one I downloaded is:
I think the main difference is that the Garmin maps cost money and the Ibycus maps don't.
Yes this is true Ibycus is free and Garmin is not free. Also with Garmin's topo you get to have route data for roads with it so that if your GPS has navigation function such as eTrex 20 or 30, you can use your GPS like car navigation. Quite handy if you will be traveling to unfamiliar places. On the other hand, Ibycus topo shows treelines. I don't know why Garmin's topo doesn't bother treeline, but I think it's more important for topo map to show treeline rather than road data.
post #15 of (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 10:50 AM
Scaling New Heights

How do I tell the ibycus map is installed when i open garmin basecamp and try to import it from the ibycus topo folder there are no files that are compatible under the import file type being open to all file types...
Most of the files are all zips do I need to use winzip to unzip them? Argh my evaluation period is up
Or do I have to use daemon to mount each of those zip files and transfer them to my garmin?
There is one .mdx file daemon can see in the directory but it can't mount because file contains no data...

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page