SPOT messages - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-03-2011, 08:47 AM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Default SPOT messages

I received a SPOT message on my cell phone voice message last night but not any where else, normally I get the same message in 3 in boxes, iPhone voice message inbox, iPhone email inbox, and my computer inbox. I have received several that way already but last night I got one on my iPhone voice message only. The sad thing is I can't read the coordinates on my cell phone and in trying to enlarge the message I deleted it, lol. Wasn't concerned as I hadn't yet checked my computer so figured I'd have it there but alas no message.
Does this have anything to do with the signal strength from the SPOT or more about my receiving end? Thankfully it was an "I'm alright" message but I do like to see the location the message was sent from. Is it possible that I have changed my computer settings...don't think so but this does seem odd.
Still trying to figure the whole SPOT connection, there have been times when a message hasn't gone through so we're not sure of every nuance of how this thing works! I am finding it reassuring in spite of the hiccups though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-03-2011, 12:49 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Hiking, Scrambling, Trail Running, Mountain Biking, SAR

Check your settings on the web site, I suspect you may have changed those. You can also review the history on-line to check that last waypoint. I have found the unit to be very reliable, and if used correctly it has never failed to send a message for me. As the unit is not super user friendly, you have to follow the written instructions carefully.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-03-2011, 01:16 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking / camping

depending on how the email settings are setup. deleting mail on your phone may del mail on your computer. this goes for any meassage not just spot email.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-03-2011, 08:40 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Whatever the problem was last night seems to not be an issue tonight as I have received another "I'm ok" message tonight to all the in boxes.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-04-2011, 07:25 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Bumming around above treeline.

I also have a SPOT and It doesn't seem very reliable. On a trip I may send out 5 messages - trailhead, camp, summit, camp, trailhead - and I often only get 2 or 3 in the inbox despite having the confirmation light blinking every time. I've therefore started sending twice every time. Just a reminder that these things aren't foolproof.

Benoit
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-04-2011, 07:29 PM
High on the Mountain Top

ouch

Thats a comforting

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by gyppo

I also have a SPOT and It doesn't seem very reliable. On a trip I may send out 5 messages - trailhead, camp, summit, camp, trailhead - and I often only get 2 or 3 in the inbox despite having the confirmation light blinking every time. I've therefore started sending twice every time. Just a reminder that these things aren't foolproof.

Benoit
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-04-2011, 07:31 PM
High on the Mountain Top

ouch

Thats a comforting

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by gyppo

Benoit
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-04-2011, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

It will be interesting to see how many messages were sent verses how many I received alright. I do know that last summer it worked exactly as required when a friend needed rescuing so I will continue to have faith that this little device works when really needed!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 09:35 PM
Off the Beaten Path

So far I'm 100% on sent messages (only sents Okay's to date). I always send them in a clear to sky area and leave the spot for 10 mins without moving it.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 11:40 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Hiking, Scrambling, Trail Running, Mountain Biking, SAR

I have used the unit for 3 years now and on about 10 different trips. I have probably sent 50 messages. I have never had a message fail. Only once, with the first generation SPOT which didn't get as good reception, I was unable to get a message out from Devil's Staircase Camp on the Stein. All I had to do was climb out on a rock on the River and the message sent fine. Since I have upgraded to the SPOT 2 I find the reception very good.

I have also helped rescue someone that was using one as well. It made his and our lives a lot easier.

post #11 of (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 09:57 AM
Headed for the Mountains

I was using a SPOT (first gen?) last year for a mountaineering trip in the rockies.

Seemed to work flawlessly for about 5 days. . .then crapped out while on the summit of Uto.

Our friends and family (following along at home) saw that we had summited, but then nothing!!!

They were getting a little panicky, until we were able to descend and call home from the hotel at Roger's Pass.

I guess it is a good thing we didn't need to call for help, as I'm not sure it would have worked.

When we got home, we called SPOT and they said to return it. . .they sent out a brand new one.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page