Different maps, the strange result - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2011, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

Default Different maps, the strange result

I wonder why can it be. It seems all attached maps don't reflect the present state of things, I mean none of them shows the road to Buntzen Bay correctly. While the GPS was writing the track between McCombe Lake and the end of the track (Buntzen Bay), its inaccuracy was between 3-12 meters (I had checked that). What can be a possible logical explanation for that?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2011, 05:22 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Mountaineering, Backcountry Skiing, Hiking, Rock Climbing, Photography

Probably the NTS map was wrong and other map makers copied the errors. It's not like it would be the first time that something like this has happened.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2011, 05:32 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: mountaineering, backcountry skiing (telemark), rock climbing, search and rescue volunteer

All of the data comes from the same place: the Canadian Government.

I know that OpenStreetMaps did an import last year or the year before.
If you're using Ibycus, then you're using the data he downloaded from GeoGratis and GeoBase (probably the same place OSM got it), and Google did an import, also last year, probably also from the same place.

Any time you buy data, you are most likely purchasing something that is yours already -- your tax dollars went to building and mapping those roads, don't let people make you pay for stuff you already own. An exception is BC's TRIM data which they charge for, but it's also available for free from their WMS and WFS servers.

That road washed out many years ago and they re-routed it. You can easily update OpenStreetMaps with the new road alignment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-20-2011, 11:59 PM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

>>That road washed out many years ago and they re-routed it.
Oplopanax, thanks for the info. Do you know by any chance when it happened (the rut is still quite visible)? This Saturday I had 2 free hours, so I went to check the old road out. There is only 1.25 km left, the road ends abruptly, there is a wooden barrier at the end for exceptionally smart people:

It seems I could not find the rest of the road (didn't have much time) . When you said "it was washed out" I read it as the road was partially destroyed - in fact I could not see the last 200 - 300 meters of the road at all (it should join the new road according to the track and the map).

In the begging the road is quite steep (134m -> 240m), I would say - 8-12 degrees (tried to calculate manually), I would imagine that during winter time it could be used by snow cats or similar specialized vehicles only (I might be wrong though, but one thing is very clear - the new road is noticeably more flat):

Anyway, this is a nice piece of history:

best,
g_mouse

After editing:

Sorry, I forgot to ask: one of the pictures above (the first one) shows quite wide cutting/opening under the power lines. I wonder if it can be a relatively easy way to Granite Falls /the end of Indian Arm.

PS: To moderator. I am not sure but it might be better if you move this topic into "Regional Discussions"->"British Columbia - Mainland", since the discussion starts deviating from GPS, maps, etc.

Thanks!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-21-2011, 08:49 AM
Dru
Super Moderator

Interest: climbing and spraying

Quote:
quote:I wonder if it can be a relatively easy way to Granite Falls /the end of Indian Arm.
No.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page