Smartphone gps that you can enter coords with? - Page 3 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of (permalink) Old 05-21-2011, 12:29 PM
High on the Mountain Top

ya 8 bucks now

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dammit79

This might be a good one...if you have iphone..

http://topomapsapp.com/
It was free few weeks ago..

you can download maps you need..and use it without data..

but honestly...any phone gps can't beat the stand along gps..due to battery drainage..

I still bring my gps around..and never get to use this app.
Would like to keep my phone for emergency call..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of (permalink) Old 05-21-2011, 12:59 PM
Headed for the Mountains

For those of you that have Macs and/or iphones this link might be of interest to you.
I've been trying out the Mac version for a few weeks and it seems pretty slick. http://homepage.mac.com/berbie/TrailRunner/blog/
post #33 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2011, 01:18 AM
Summit Master

Interest: Backpacking, scrambling, skiing, mountain biking, skim boarding, running

To each their own ... but: for figuring out where you are going you really should have a map and compass. A GPS can be useful for navigating in blind conditions (nothing to take a siting off) but that means you have to have very reliable way-points downloaded in advance or bread-crumbs to track back on. I don't know any phones with GPS features that one could rely on in those circumstances.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2011, 10:01 AM
Off the Beaten Path

I use an old Garmin 12XL for mapping trails, a few times per year. It is quite accurate and quickly obtains a lock - provided I am on top of a peak in good weather. Of course in that case I already know where I am so that doesn't help much. Other times when I actually need the damn thing (in the forest, on a steep sidehill, in bad weather) it either refuses to lock or its location is obviously wrong or the batteries are dead.

My GPS is a good toy, but I won't be getting rid of my maps and compass anytime soon.
post #35 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2011, 10:22 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ChuckLW

To each their own ... but: for figuring out where you are going you really should have a map and compass. A GPS can be useful for navigating in blind conditions (nothing to take a siting off) but that means you have to have very reliable way-points downloaded in advance or bread-crumbs to track back on. I don't know any phones with GPS features that one could rely on in those circumstances.
While I don't disagree with you on the need for compass and map, I don't see how that applies to this thread. A cellphone is useful to carry anyway, why not put a GPS app in there that doesn't weigh anything? While GPS can be useful in whiteout conditions for example, I would never rely on it, just double check it. As far as I'm concerned that is the only appropriate way to use it. We recently saw fatal consequences of turn by turn GPS in a vehicle the risks are compounded by skill, conditions, equipment etc... and anybody relying on any king of GPS is an accident waiting to happen. BTW I got 11 hours out of my BlackBerry Torch with the GPS running continuously on a hike recently with the data plan and cell network on and all messages etc... coming in so it's not too bad. Also I seem to get just as good or better as my buddies who have Garmin's, one has a year old 60cSX and the other a brand new 60cX.
post #36 of (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 11:00 AM
Hittin' the Trails

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ryan Conroy

I'm digging the Blackberry Torch with Topo Sports. Topo Sports allows you to download 1:50,000 topo maps for anywhere in North America and store them offline on your phone. Its $15 with the maps, quite a bargain compared to even just buying maps. I got an Aquapak min dry bag for it at MEC, which makes it waterproof while allowing me to use all buttons/touchscreen. With the GPS on, heavy internet use, and constant emails and social media coming in, the phone still holds a charge for at least 24 hours. You could easily get some extra batteries as well, they are small and lightweight.
Thanks for the tip, I never knew such an app existed for BB. That has always been my problem, as no app existed before that allowed storage of maps and offline access to them. GMaps is out there but is cumbersome to use and download any type of topo map. I am successfully running Toposports on my Torch as well.

Toposports rocks! In addition to the noted options it allowing 3x zoom plus digital zoom, point for coordinates, recording and storage of tracks, records statistics (vert, dist, avg speed, calories, etc), waypoints, etc plus has a dist/bearing tool. The only downfall I can see is you cannot enter in coordinate locations (only manually search for them) but perhaps they will add that in a future build.

Thanks!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page