Looking to buy a GPS - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-16-2010, 07:43 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Default Looking to buy a GPS

I have been considering purchasing a GPS system does any one have any recomendations? I am looking for something easy to use, durable and affordable w/ topo & colour ($200 or less). Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-16-2010, 07:55 PM
Headed for the Mountains

I've been using a Garmin GPSmap 60Cx for a few years now. Killer GPS! Great in trees and heavy bush. Good battery life (if you turn off backlight etc.) I don't think it's under $200, though.

Glenn
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-16-2010, 08:14 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Does any think I can get one for under $200 new, or is that to low? I will buy used if I have too but I need good model. I checked ebay it's mostly for cars.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-16-2010, 09:25 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

I have the same questions. Also looking to buy a GPS.

K
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-16-2010, 09:44 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Sparrow78

I have been considering purchasing a GPS system does any one have any recomendations? I am looking for something easy to use, durable and affordable w/ topo & colour ($200 or less). Any suggestions?
My suggestion is to increase your budget. Garmin's eTrex Vista HCx ($279) or Garmin's 60Cx ($269) are two excellent choices that will last a long time. You'll still need maps like Garmin's TopoCanada or there's a few free maps that are compatible. Both take a microSD card so you'll want one of those too. And a good charger for the AA batteries. The Vista is smaller and lighter but it has a smaller screen too. The best source for GPSes is www.gpscentral.ca in Calgary. Sometimes Costco has a sale but not for $200.

edit: DO NOT buy the maps on SD; buy the PC version and then download the maps to the GPS. The SD versions can't be used on a PC which greatly limits the value of a GPS (IMHO). I like downloading the track log and plotting my meandering on TopoCanada or Google Earth.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-16-2010, 10:00 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Mountain biking, hiking, nature photography, astronomy, music...

$200 is a too low of a budget for the features you're looking for on a new unit. I've used and tested numerous GPS units. The Garmin 60 series is excellent (the 60csx is primo). The Vista series reception is inferior to the 60 series.
I agree with slowdog regarding the SD vs PC versions of the topo maps - get the PC version.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-16-2010, 10:11 PM
Summit Master

The Garmin 60 series has already been replaced by the 62. Obviously since it's a new release there are no price cuts - you're looking at $350 to $550 USD. You might be able to find a 60 series on the cheap, but only for a few more weeks (or a month or two?) before inventory is fully cleared out.

Pick up a 60Cx from Amazon.com for $199.00 USD and have it shipped to Hagen's of Blaine for pick up in the US (if they don't ship to Canada, that is).
http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-GPSMAP-...6751592&sr=8-1

Awesome deal, impossible to beat. Won't last long!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-16-2010, 10:17 PM
High on the Mountain Top

I highly recommend you save a couple more dollars and get the 60Cx. I have a 60Csx and it works great as for battery life its ok. What I can recommend is rechargeable battery's pop them out every trip.

As for topo maps you can get them for free of the net. Or as one of the very nice CT members to help you out. As Garmin V4 Canada TOPO was online for free

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by tricouni

I've been using a Garmin GPSmap 60Cx for a few years now. Killer GPS! Great in trees and heavy bush. Good battery life (if you turn off backlight etc.) I don't think it's under $200, though.

Glenn
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-16-2010, 10:21 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Wow that is a killer deal

thanks for the update shadowchaser didn't even know about 62 series

Sweet except the 450.00 usd price tag ((((((((

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ShadowChaser

The Garmin 60 series has already been replaced by the 62. Obviously since it's a new release there are no price cuts - you're looking at $350 to $550 USD. You might be able to find a 60 series on the cheap, but only for a few more weeks (or a month or two?) before inventory is fully cleared out.

Pick up a 60Cx from Amazon.com for $199.00 USD and have it shipped to Hagen's of Blaine for pick up in the US (if they don't ship to Canada, that is).
http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-GPSMAP-...6751592&sr=8-1

Awesome deal, impossible to beat. Won't last long!
post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 12:18 AM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: skiing

I have been using the eTrex Vista HCx for 2 years and would recommend it.
Lots of navigation in white-outs and off trail (backcountry skiing). Works well.
post #11 of (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 05:55 AM
High on the Mountain Top

I had the Garmin 60CS and absolutely loved it. It was very durable and dependable. I thought for sure with the new units the prices on Kijiji would be pretty cheap yet people seem to be asking the same price or more than a brand new unit - ridiculous! That amazon deal seems really good. Wish I waited for the 62 before buying the Oregon 300.
post #12 of (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 08:19 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Spending time with my man and family, relaxing with good friends and good food, hiking, paddling,

The Garmin GPSMap 60CS or 60CSx is a great GPS if you're not on the water. If you plan to use it on the water consider the 76CSx as it is [u]waterproof and it floats </u>(we know someone who lost their GPS 60CS in a local river). Great for canoeing or kayaking. We bought ours from GPS Central. With either one you will have to increase your budget but I'm sure you won't regret it.(http://www.gpscentral.ca/products/garmin/76csx.htm)

Cheers!
post #13 of (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 09:09 AM
Off the Beaten Path

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by magnetite

The Vista series reception is inferior to the 60 series.
I was under the impression that the HCx (and other eTrex H series) used a new chipset and had similar performance to the 60Cx in head to head testing.
post #14 of (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 11:17 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Oh wow, I had no idea there was a 62 model. Guess I know what I'll be picking up in the near future.
post #15 of (permalink) Old 06-18-2010, 06:44 AM
Off the Beaten Path

Search Youtube - Tomtom Vader for a very funny Darth Vader "voice over" for their GPS

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page