Looking to buy a GPS - Page 2 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of (permalink) Old 11-09-2010, 07:42 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Interest: Mountian Bike, Hike, Swim, Ski,and trail building and maintaining.

For back country hiking etc I should get the
Garmin 60 csx for $229.99 Amazon
or
Garmin 62s for $394.99 too much money? is it worth it? what does the 62 offer that the 60 does not??

Garmin62st is $483.88 yikes

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...in+handheld+60
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of (permalink) Old 02-04-2011, 09:31 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Willi

For back country hiking etc I should get the
Garmin 60 csx for $229.99 Amazon
or
Garmin 62s for $394.99 too much money? is it worth it? what does the 62 offer that the 60 does not??
I've narrowed my search down to a toss up between a 60Csx and the 62s. Anyone have any good reasons not to get the 62s?

I've found this comparison, but I'd like a second opinion as it could be out of date:

http://blog.hendricksen.eu/2010/08/2...60csx-and-62s/

One of the main features that the 62s has that I feel I'd like is the BirdsEye™ Satellite imagery.

Also, I couldn't find a specific mention of it but does the 60Csx have a 3-axis tilt-compensated compass?
post #18 of (permalink) Old 02-04-2011, 01:37 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: hiking, scrambling, biking, running, swimming, snowshoeing, snowboarding, x-country & backcountry skiing,

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Garmin-eTr...629-00/6015173

Sorry if you are anti-Walmart but i got mine there at the lowest price i've seen. ( I got the Vista).

I love the etrex series. size matters! i found the 60 series too big and bulky.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of (permalink) Old 02-04-2011, 01:44 PM
Scaling New Heights

Interest: Trad Rock Climbing, trail running, downhill skiing, Hiking, Kayaking. Most things outdoors. Though I also like swimming and competed in that sport for years from childhood.
post #20 of (permalink) Old 02-04-2011, 04:16 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: hiking, backpacking, scrambling, climbing

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by hikingpaul

Functionality matters too. I've found the etrex takes forever to get a signal, loses it frequenly, and sometimes can't get one at all. Very frustrating. I haven't used all of them, but my experience with the smaller ones led me to determine the 60 as the base model I'd consider for serious use.
post #21 of (permalink) Old 02-04-2011, 05:59 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: hiking, scrambling, biking, running, swimming, snowshoeing, snowboarding, x-country & backcountry skiing,

Quote:
quote:Rachelo Posted - 02/04/2011 : 4:16 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by hikingpaul

Functionality matters too. I've found the etrex takes forever to get a signal, loses it frequenly, and sometimes can't get one at all. Very frustrating. I haven't used all of them, but my experience with the smaller ones led me to determine the 60 as the base model I'd consider for serious use.
Rachelo, is it possible that this problem is only with the older original etrex models? I have the latest and greatest Vista and it is a 1000% better than my original etrex Legend ( for sale 40$ obo). no comparison for signal aquisition etc. I have had no problems with my current model whether i'm under tree cover or not. Prior to buying the Vista i compared it to the 60 series ( i even bought one and returned it) but everything i read online said the the new Vista and 60's were on par regarding getting lock.
post #22 of (permalink) Old 02-05-2011, 08:35 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: hiking, backpacking, scrambling, climbing

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by hikingpaul

Rachelo, is it possible that this problem is only with the older original etrex models? I have the latest and greatest Vista and it is a 1000% better than my original etrex Legend ( for sale 40$ obo). no comparison for signal aquisition etc. I have had no problems with my current model whether i'm under tree cover or not. Prior to buying the Vista i compared it to the 60 series ( i even bought one and returned it) but everything i read online said the the new Vista and 60's were on par regarding getting lock.
It is very possible. I hope that is the case.
post #23 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2011, 10:42 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Just as a heads up, I've been keeping an eye on the 60CSx on gpscentral.ca for a while now (had it open in a pinned tab in Chrome). It just dropped in price by $20 (oddly it's now $10 cheaper than the 60Cx [?])

http://www.gpscentral.ca/products/garmin/60csx.htm

So it's going for $209.95 before tax. But wait, there's more!!! I did a bit of trawling on the net for a coupon code and found this one to work "EMAIL$10" (no quotes) which brings the price down to $199.95 before tax.

The device is on back-order which is a bit of a concern but I decided to order it anyway.
post #24 of (permalink) Old 03-04-2011, 01:52 PM
Banned

Here's an update for the Garmin GPSMap 60CSX...

http://tinyurl.com/4eovf9j

Now UNDER $200 USD

post #25 of (permalink) Old 03-05-2011, 01:10 AM
Hittin' the Trails

Hi there everyone

This is more or less my first post but I've been lurking in the background for a while now but this topic drew me out of the bushes.

Glad to see the Garmin 60's are so popular and it IS one fine gps. Any gps that can get a 4 sat. lock in the my basement (yes the basement) get my money any time. It's reception and lock is incredible and it's tough but then those with one will tell you the same and more.

I used my 60csx for over 3 years mostly in the Rockies. I use the pass tense as it was stolen in a car break-in this past Christmas . The hard part was I lost all my waypoints (no...I didn't have them saved to computer - hard lesson learned) for my pet project the OLD Jasper-Banff Highway.

My insurance company has kindly agreed to let me upgrade from the 60csx to the 62st which is available locally. By the way the 62s and 62st are the identical gps but the 'st' has the Canada Topo map installed hence the higher price. Apart from some new bells and whistles and neato features on the 62's with price being the big issue of this post I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the purchase a 60csx or cs. Especially at the killer price of around $200. That is a bargain even now for a gps with so many features. I think others will agree with me, it will more then meet your needs.

To cut a long story short the best price I've see for a 62st is from a gps company in Winfield BC at $479.95 http://www.thebcgpsstore.ca (Usual 62st price is @ $520 - 599).

Also here in BC you could check London Drugs who have 60cs's @ $200. - $220. LD Chilliwack has one or two in stock and they have been on special over the last few months (Tip with LD ask them to check their computer for the lowest price they have had on the gps ( or most other items)and they will usually give it to you at that price.) They will also price match.

Also if you have a good friend in Alberta have them get it for you and save the whooping 12% tax here in BC. Even at $480. the tax for my new one was over $50.

Anyway good hunting
post #26 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 10:11 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Hi

A friend needs a gps. I have the Etrex HCx Vista and love it over the C60 since its smaller, battery lasts longer and the tracks are equivalent.

I noticed now that the Etrex no longer has the barometric altimeter. This is important for me to get accurate elevation profiles.

They now have the Dakota - which seems like my old Etrex HCx VIsta, or the Oregon - which doesn't have as long battery life.

Any opinions on the Dakota?

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/compare....eProduct=30926

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page