Bivouac peak names on Google Maps - Page 3 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2010, 10:33 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Women

Some of you don't understand that even an ID# is better than "No Name" for reference purposes. What are you going to refer the area as? "_____"? Your only other option is to "Make up a name" which can be misleading or misrepresent. Area #129332(The ID#), otherwise you have no other alternative but to name it something other than the ID#...
Also an ID# doesnt have to be the database ID#, it can be translated into another number for non related database ID value (Converted to a code number basically, mountain#12312 for example when the ID# is actually 100001). I'd say better to see a reference number than people renaming mountains as name... This way it is displayed as a "Reference #" because there is no name... Am I making any sense to some of you? lol

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2010, 11:01 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Exploring BC ... preferably self propelled, self supported with free heels and a free spirit

Quote:
quote:Just ask Dru and several other "big names" that I can think of.
Hands down, quote of the year. Of course, the best ones are the unintended.

Of course we're all just legends in each other's minds... but pray tell, Herr Professor Kubik: What prominence must one have to reach the exalted "big name" status?

All the bickering over 'official' names reminds me of Henry Kissinger's words... (Paraphrasing)... the reason there's so much quibbling is because the stakes are so low.

post #33 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2010, 11:12 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Biffybee

Quote:
quote:Just ask Dru and several other "big names" that I can think of.
Hands down, quote of the year. Of course, the best ones are the unintended.

Of course we're all just legends in each other's minds... but pray tell, Herr Professor Kubik: What prominence must one have to reach the exalted "big name" status?

All the bickering over 'official' names reminds me of Henry Kissinger's words... (Paraphrasing)... the reason there's so much quibbling is because the stakes are so low.

According to Bivouac's mountain naming notes, some "important people" have issues with the naming policies. I wonder if the big names and the important people ever get together, smoke pipes and share their deep elder thoughts.

Also, I think it is great that there is a lively discussion on database architecture here. This post reads like slashdot to me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2010, 11:15 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Women

Just like to add, my ID Reference number idea is no different than a catalog # at a library.

post #35 of (permalink) Old 06-09-2010, 05:56 AM
High on the Mountain Top

"Big name" equals "publish, publish, publish".
post #36 of (permalink) Old 06-09-2010, 06:14 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Matt

Eventually ad hoc names are going to make their way in.
I don't think there's anything wrong with a name being ad hoc. What's important is that there is a process for resolving naming questions. Gee, that's why there's a Canadian geographic names committee. The discussion we're having is somewhere between those extremes so I think it's a bit more than a tempest in a teapot, even though it's tempting to think of it that way. So, do you want a process that's dictatorial or democratic?
post #37 of (permalink) Old 06-09-2010, 06:46 AM
Summit Master

Interest: Mountains....

I think it's hilarious that some one that gets out half dozen times per month can even be considered a "big name". The people that call people like this guru's and look up to them are setting their goals pretty darned low. The people pushing progression to new levels are the real "big names".
post #38 of (permalink) Old 06-09-2010, 10:23 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Stoked

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Matt

Eventually ad hoc names are going to make their way in.
I don't think there's anything wrong with a name being ad hoc. What's important is that there is a process for resolving naming questions. Gee, that's why there's a Canadian geographic names committee. The discussion we're having is somewhere between those extremes so I think it's a bit more than a tempest in a teapot, even though it's tempting to think of it that way. So, do you want a process that's dictatorial or democratic?
The bivouac "title status dictionary" (http://bivouac.com/PgxPg.asp?PgxId=1193) says that the "Bivouac naming committee" figures this stuff out.
post #39 of (permalink) Old 06-09-2010, 10:50 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Climbing

Quote:
quote:I think it's hilarious that some one that gets out half dozen times per month can even be considered a "big name".
In the context of this post,mountain encyclopedia, Drew stands among less than a handful of people who could re-write the Fairley guide.

post #40 of (permalink) Old 06-09-2010, 11:11 AM
Summit Master

Interest: Mountains....

^ that doesn't qualify one as a big name by any means. Him along with most other people that post are simply just another climber that types more than others. Specifically in regards to Dru, he seems to have a bigger memory bank of info, and has more local knowledge than most, I will give him that. I'm not knocking anyone here, just sayin... It would be a big stretch to call him a big name.

"Big names" are people that are out there all the time, working and pushing hard at progressing the sports they are in. The people posting info on Bivouac are nobodies, as are 99.9% of the rest.
post #41 of (permalink) Old 06-09-2010, 11:15 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Actually I think "Dru" is one of the smaller names.
post #42 of (permalink) Old 06-09-2010, 11:27 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by time2clmb

^

"Big names" are people that are out there all the time, working and pushing hard at progressing the sports they are in. The people posting info on Bivouac are nobodies, as are 99.9% of the rest.
I'll bite.

Who are you talking about then? I thought we were talking about bivouac and authority on SWBC mountain names, history, etc. How many people meet your criteria for big names in that discussion? And are you saying that having a day job disqualifies you?
post #43 of (permalink) Old 06-09-2010, 11:43 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Coastal

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by time2clmb

^

I'll bite.

Who are you talking about then? I thought we were talking about bivouac and authority on SWBC mountain names, history, etc. How many people meet your criteria for big names in that discussion? And are you saying that having a day job disqualifies you?
I think all that matters is how many corporate sponsors you have.
post #44 of (permalink) Old 06-09-2010, 12:07 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Outdoor stuff...especially scrambling,trailrunning,mountain biking,kayaking,and hiking, and of course photography

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by keefer

Actually I think "Dru" is one of the smaller names.
Yeah, only three letters eh
post #45 of (permalink) Old 06-09-2010, 12:41 PM
cjb
Headed for the Mountains

I'll bite, too:

Originally posted by time2clmb:

I can't figure out what point is being made here, except to demonstrate that T2C's mouth is running well ahead of his brain. Is the idea that one's opinion doesn't count, unless one is "progressing the sport"? And, if so, what constitutes "progressing the sport," exactly? First ascents? Faster ascents? John Clarke and Steve House, to pick just two examples, have both "progressed the sport," but in very different ways. I would feel like an idiot claiming that one's contributions to the sport outweighed the other's.

As to the Bivouac names, the larger point being made by numerous people is that Robin Tivy's foresight in building a comprehensive (if weirdly structured and maintained) mountain database does not entitle him to single-handedly force the climbing community to use names other than those that have, up until now, been decided over time, through local use and consensus. It's arrogant and disrespectful of the local community. People have seized on the issue because it's a handy example of Robin's my-way-or-the-highway mentality, which alienates members of the community. If Robin had better people skills, or a bit more humility, these problems would have been resolved years ago in a simple, non-confrontational way. But Robin's fortress mentality has polarized things and driven many well-meaning contributors away.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page