Garmin eTrex Legend - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2010, 11:03 AM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Default Garmin eTrex Legend

I want to be able to download waypoints to confirm my location when I'm in uncharted territory and have a map of where I've been. Do you think this unit will work for my needs? Thanks for the feedback.

Dean
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2010, 05:46 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: fishing, downhill/x-country skiing,hiking/backpacking, canoeing, snowshoing

I have a Legend CX and the gps will download the waypoints, but you'll need some mapping software (I think) as I can't recall what came with it. I bought the Garmin Topo Canada map sets for mine.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2010, 06:49 PM
Hittin' the Trails

The eTrex Legend doesn't come with Garmin Mapsource software, so you need to purchase a garmin map CD to get it and the map data. Of course that nearly doubles the cost of the unit to get up and running. Another option is to track down the freely available map dataset called 'Ibycus Topo' (http://www.ibycus.com/ibycustopo/). You can probably find a copy without a whole lot of searching (I did). With that file in hand, you can download and install a copy of Garmin Mapsource to make use of it. Check out the ibycus website for a how to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-16-2010, 09:56 AM
Scaling New Heights

Interest: Geocaching Hiking Hunting

Which model of the eTrex Legend do you have? There have been the original Legend, the Legend C, the Legend Cx, the Legend H and the Legend HCx. The original model requires a serial computer port for data transfer which is not found on many computers today.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-16-2010, 05:52 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

It's listed as the Garmin eTrex Legend GPS on sale at canadian tire for $149.99.On the garmin website it's listed as the eTrex Legend H with a detailed basemap and a USB port.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 05:55 AM
Scaling New Heights

Interest: Geocaching Hiking Hunting

It's the original eTrex Legend with the old style serial (not USB) interface that's on the Canadian Tire site for $149 (link). It's the same as this one (link) on Garmins site (note the 8MB of memory).

Unless you're spending your CT money the newer eTrex Legend H (24MB memory with USB and High sensitivity chipset) can be had for less ($130) at GPSCity.ca (link)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page