GPS tracks resource - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-24-2010, 11:40 AM Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Port Moody, BC, Canada.
Posts: 981
Default GPS tracks resource

I just found out yesterday about a nice resource called Garmin Connect, where you can download GPS track files for free. You won't find all the trails you need, but they have a few, and where else can you get them for free?

Here is the link:
http://connect.garmin.com/explore

I'd be adding some of my own tracks as I go, and hopefully others could do the same so that we could build a wealthy resource of downloadable GPS tracks for us, GPS users.
Arnold is offline  
Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-24-2010, 01:17 PM
Summit Master
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: , BC, Canada.
Posts: 2,593
Default

Considering they charge over $100 for topo maps of Canada, I don't plan on giving them any free data
ShadowChaser is offline  
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-24-2010, 06:52 PM
Headed for the Mountains
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Courtenay, BC, Canada.
Posts: 129
Default

Perhaps the data isn't flushed out for trails in my area but personally I'm not really interested in downloading someone else's jogging or cycling track.

For me it makes more sense to be able to share tracks via Clubtread's Trails Wiki

Burning Boot is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-25-2010, 08:44 AM Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Port Moody, BC, Canada.
Posts: 981
Default

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ShadowChaser

Considering they charge over $100 for topo maps of Canada, I don't plan on giving them any free data
I don't think they even look or care at what you upload to that site. It's more for other GPS users, who don't charge you anything.
Arnold is offline  
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-25-2010, 08:50 AM Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Port Moody, BC, Canada.
Posts: 981
Default

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Burning Boot

Perhaps the data isn't flushed out for trails in my area but personally I'm not really interested in downloading someone else's jogging or cycling track.
Hm, if you don't need GPS tracks, then this resource is definitely not for you. I know lots of people are looking for downloadable GPS tracks, that's why I mentioned that site.

Quote:
quote:For me it makes more sense to be able to share tracks via Clubtread's Trails Wiki
If only Clubtread's Trails Wiki had any GPS tracks. I'm not sure why it is so hard to implement such simple feature of letting users upload a small file with nothing but harmless XML data in it, and then provide a link for others to download. I guess Clubtread is a bit in the stone age.


Arnold is offline  
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-25-2010, 10:11 AM
Headed for the Mountains
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Courtenay, BC, Canada.
Posts: 129
Default

I tried to upload my LSCR to Coliseum track but it doesn't display (yet) on the public interface. It told me my pace was outside the acceptable limit. [:0] The features are a bit rich for my use but I like the charts.

Quote:
quote:If only Clubtread's Trails Wiki had any GPS tracks.
For me that would be the best solution. I'd also like to see geocoded photos displayed on a Google map, or perhaps a link to the location in Google Maps.

Quote:
quote: I guess Clubtread is a bit in the stone age.
As a free service I think it is fantastic. No, it hasn't kept up with the latest web developments but sometimes life gets in the way of ones best intensions.

Burning Boot is offline  
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-27-2010, 07:40 AM Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Port Moody, BC, Canada.
Posts: 981
Default

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Burning Boot
I tried to upload my LSCR to Coliseum track but it doesn't display (yet) on the public interface.
Strange, 'cause when I tried uploading a track, it was available to the public right away.
Arnold is offline  
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-27-2010, 08:17 AM
Hittin' the Trails
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: North Vancouver, , .
Posts: 28
Default

Not that I am trying to steer people away from Clubtread (it's a great site that I use daily!), but not having any GPS/Google Earth info is severely lacking for me. I know there is GPS data in the trail reports, but it is not easy to find out where the exact location of the trail is without Google maps.

I recently found this site http://www.livetrails.com/ which has Google Earth and GPS data available. While it can be a little slow at times, I have found new trails from browsing the Google Earth maps, uploaded the GPS data and off I went!
I also enjoy that it keeps a running total of your distance and elevation gain. I have set myself a target to reach the high of Everest this year! I am currently at 2040m, and everest is 8800m+ !!!

Here's my own page http://www.livetrails.com/index.php?...&uid=545581778
I've only done a couple of hikes this year and have been ill recently, but will be getting back to hiking as soon as the weather improves!

Hope this site is of use to people. If only Clubtread and livetrails.com could merge all their best bits into one site, it would be the best hiking resource ever!!!
gmoore230 is offline  
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-27-2010, 08:50 AM
Headed for the Mountains
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Courtenay, BC, Canada.
Posts: 129
Default

gmoore230,

Thanks for the link. I really like the ability to display geocoded photographs.
Burning Boot is offline  
post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 08:40 AM
Headed for the Mountains
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: , , .
Posts: 326
Default

How do you think this compares to everytrail.com -> http://www.everytrail.com/profile.php

I've been uploading my tracks here lately and find it really user friendly and free for now anyway!
shinsplints is offline  
post #11 of (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 08:24 AM
Hittin' the Trails
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: vancouver, bc, Canada.
Posts: 5
Default

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by gmoore230

Not that I am trying to steer people away from Clubtread (it's a great site that I use daily!), but not having any GPS/Google Earth info is severely lacking for me. I know there is GPS data in the trail reports, but it is not easy to find out where the exact location of the trail is without Google maps.

I recently found this site http://www.livetrails.com/ which has Google Earth and GPS data available. While it can be a little slow at times, I have found new trails from browsing the Google Earth maps, uploaded the GPS data and off I went!
I also enjoy that it keeps a running total of your distance and elevation gain. I have set myself a target to reach the high of Everest this year! I am currently at 2040m, and everest is 8800m+ !!!

Here's my own page http://www.livetrails.com/index.php?...&uid=545581778
I've only done a couple of hikes this year and have been ill recently, but will be getting back to hiking as soon as the weather improves!

Hope this site is of use to people. If only Clubtread and livetrails.com could merge all their best bits into one site, it would be the best hiking resource ever!!!
Hi!
If you are willing to share your GPS data, we will be happy to publish it.
This is a nonprofitable website for outdoor activities.

http://www.hurleydust.com/TrailsbyGP...2/Default.aspx
Clanna is offline  
post #12 of (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 08:46 AM
Headed for the Mountains
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Langley, B.C, Canada.
Posts: 481
Default


Quote:
quote:

Hi!
If you are willing to share your GPS data, we will be happy to publish it.
This is a nonprofitable website for outdoor activities.

http://www.hurleydust.com/TrailsbyGP...2/Default.aspx
How about posting something other then a link to that web page.
MikeW is offline  
post #13 of (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 09:15 AM
Hittin' the Trails
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: vancouver, bc, Canada.
Posts: 5
Default

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by MikeW


Quote:
quote:

Hi!
If you are willing to share your GPS data, we will be happy to publish it.
This is a nonprofitable website for outdoor activities.

http://www.hurleydust.com/TrailsbyGP...2/Default.aspx
How about posting something other then a link to that web page.
"something" - sure
What are you interested in?
Clanna is offline  
post #14 of (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 09:59 AM
Headed for the Mountains
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Langley, B.C, Canada.
Posts: 481
Default

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Clanna

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by MikeW


Quote:
quote:

Hi!
If you are willing to share your GPS data, we will be happy to publish it.
This is a nonprofitable website for outdoor activities.

http://www.hurleydust.com/TrailsbyGP...2/Default.aspx
How about posting something other then a link to that web page.
"something" - sure
What are you interested in?
I trip report would be nice.
MikeW is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome
 

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1