Now that I own a GPS, what do I do for maps? - Page 3 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of (permalink) Old 04-09-2010, 05:34 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
quote:
Or stick to the North Shore and the Capilano Watershed. 92 G/6 5th ed has 20m contour intervals, from data gathered in 1984-1986. (Published in 1989, but still NAD 27 for some reason.)
I forgot there is that one area with 20 metre contours. NAD83/WGS84 didn't come into use in Canada until 1990.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of (permalink) Old 04-27-2010, 10:37 AM
Hittin' the Trails

There seems to be a lot of uncertainty on the new Backroad GPS Map (Garmin GPS compatible) product. To help clarify, the BC version uses 1:20,000 water, road and contour data. You simply can not get more accurate or detailed information than that (in fact there is a lot more road, contour and geographic information on the GPS maps than the regular Backroad Mapbooks maps due to scaling issues). There are also over 6,000 unique recreation points of interest that link back to the Backroad Mapbook write-ups and countless trail additions. Although still in beta stage of development, we are pretty convinced that having this information on your GPS as a companion to the Backroad Mapbooks as an overview, will make an amazing difference in your ability to get out and explore the backcountry (or even city recreation areas).

Of course, the more tracks and waypoints you send to Backroads ([email protected]), the better the product will get. We plan on doing regular updates to ensure that any inaccuracies pointed out are corrected. There will also be new trails, new roads and new waypoints to navigate to as well. Unlike the published maps, keeping digital content current will much easier.
post #33 of (permalink) Old 04-27-2010, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
Off the Beaten Path

Thanks for the clarification. Like I said I really liked the Backroad GPS Map sample on the website and came close to ordering this product versus the Garmin Topo. Hopefully people will contribute their trail data to make this type of digital map even more attractive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of (permalink) Old 04-28-2010, 06:28 AM
Summit Master

Backroads: The samples on your site are simply standard NTS data - 20 metres where it is available (for example, the Silver Star area) and 40 metres or 100 feet elsewhere. Your maps are simply NTS maps with extra roads, etc. added. There certainly does not appear to be 1:20,000 scale data. In fact, your own marketing propaganda does not even claim that - they claim 20,000 scale water features, but otherwise standard 1:50,000 data.
post #35 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2010, 09:48 PM
Scaling New Heights

so Garmin topo trumps Ibycus topo?
post #36 of (permalink) Old 05-16-2010, 07:18 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Garmin = $
Ibycus = free

Same map sources
post #37 of (permalink) Old 05-16-2010, 10:02 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Interest: Skiing, Hiking, Computers

If you check out OpenStreetMap.org and see that the trail you are going on is on the map, you can easily load that map onto your Garmin: http://garmin.na1400.info/routable.php
Zoom in on the area you want, download the .img files the website will email to you, and load them onto your GPS! It works really great. No topo data mind you, if you want that I can tell you how to get that as well.
post #38 of (permalink) Old 02-05-2011, 08:26 AM
Hittin' the Trails

Hi

I also have a beginners question with maps. I downloaded ibycus 2.1, installed, used it and its great- no problems

However, i also downloaded ibycus 3.2 from here:

http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/5629..._Topo_Maps_3.2

and i can't install it. The download directory is Ibycus Topo 3.2.mapi and inside that is a main folded called "Product1", theres also a .mdx file and a .tdb file.

Has anyone else downloaded this same torrent and gotten it to work?

Thanks

Ian
post #39 of (permalink) Old 02-06-2011, 03:38 PM
Summit Master

Interest: I enjoy hiking

Hi Ian,
You should be able to install it manually, if you have all the files, by adding a few registry keys. You need a .mdx, a .tdb, and a .img file. Then there should be a sub folder of a bunch of numbered .img files.

Here is my .reg file for Ibycus 2.1, which I have installed in "C:\garmin\maps\Ibycus Topo 2.1". IbycusTop.mdx, IbycusTop.tdb and IbycusTop.img are in this directory, and all the .img files are in a directory named "imgs" below this one. If you change this .reg file to match the directories you have Ibycus 3.2 in, and import it into the registry, it should work.

Edit: This .reg file is for a Windows 7 64-bit installation. It will be slightly different for Windows XP or Win7 32-bit.

Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Garmin\MapSource\Families\IbycsTop]
"ID"=hex:80,00
"IDX"="C:\\garmin\\maps\\Ibycus Topo 2.1\\IbycsTop.mdx"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Garmin\MapSource\Families\IbycsTop\1]
"LOC"="C:\\garmin\\maps\\Ibycus Topo 2.1\\imgs"
"TDB"="C:\\garmin\\maps\\Ibycus Topo 2.1\\IbycsTop.tdb"
"BMAP"="C:\\garmin\\maps\\Ibycus Topo 2.1\\IbycsTop.img"
If you get it going, let me know if the water bodies are fixed. All of the lakes (such as Garibaldi Lake) do not show up as water bodies in Ibycus version 3.0, that's why I'm sticking with 2.1.

Martin
post #40 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 09:57 PM
Summit Master

Location: Finally stopping that crazy suffering that is ice, climbing to concentrate on great ski tours!, .
Interest: Anything that can drag me to the mountains. Backpacking is #1, followed by climbing, dayhiking and camping with family.

So, is there a definitive answer concerning mapping for a GPS? I've never used on-board maps, instead using the GPS in combination with paper maps, but I can see where having a map on the GPS would be handy. Won't stop carrying and using my paper map (or compass, etc) but I am considering replacing my GPS with a mapping unit.

With a Garmin GPS, are the Garmin maps easy to upload and use? I don't want to screw around with it, just upload the maps when I want and go.
post #41 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 10:15 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by johngenx

So, is there a definitive answer concerning mapping for a GPS? I've never used on-board maps, instead using the GPS in combination with paper maps, but I can see where having a map on the GPS would be handy. Won't stop carrying and using my paper map (or compass, etc) but I am considering replacing my GPS with a mapping unit.

With a Garmin GPS, are the Garmin maps easy to upload and use? I don't want to screw around with it, just upload the maps when I want and go.
Having the maps in the GPS is very convenient. With today's memory cards, you can load a fairly high res topo for an entire province. With the newer models, you might be able to store an entire country (anyone know?) Even if it is a bit of trouble the first time (and it shouldn't be that bad,) you only really need to do it once.

The only time I need to think about my GPS maps is if I am traveling to the US. In that case, it only takes me a few minutes to swap out my BC map for a different area.
post #42 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 10:42 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: hiking, backpacking, scrambling, climbing

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by johngenx

The Ibycus is extremely easy to use, and as accurate as anything else (in Alberta) that you'd pay for.
I too am a map/compass user who uses my GPS for backup, extra convenience, and stats.
I found that having the maps installed made it easier to cross-reference with my paper map, as I didn't have to use the coordinates for everything. For a little extra use at no cost, I'd strongly recommend downloading the Ibycus.
I don't recall how much it is possible to load, but I have the bulk of the Rockies on my GPS now, so I never need to mess with it.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page