Now that I own a GPS, what do I do for maps? - Page 2 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of (permalink) Old 04-04-2010, 01:57 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Another option that requires some more cost and time to get good at it, is to use a program like OziExplorer with digital topo maps, orthophotos, aerial pictures, etc. You can either use available digital maps or scan in your own and georeference them. The maps themselves cant be put on the GPS but you can create waypoints and tracks that can be imported to Mapsource and then to the GPS unit. There is also the ability to merge maps together and print them if you are travelling on the edge of the paper maps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of (permalink) Old 04-04-2010, 03:52 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Kootenay Kid

Another option that requires some more cost and time to get good at it, is to use a program like OziExplorer with digital topo maps, orthophotos, aerial pictures, etc. You can either use available digital maps or scan in your own and georeference them. The maps themselves cant be put on the GPS but you can create waypoints and tracks that can be imported to Mapsource and then to the GPS unit. There is also the ability to merge maps together and print them if you are travelling on the edge of the paper maps.
There is actually an OziExplorerCE version for Pocket PC's and Windows CE devices that have built-in GPS receivers. I have used this software on the older Garmin iQue units (which have since been discontinued). The maps or aerial photos you geo-reference using OziExplorer on a PC can be converted to a format useable on the PDA. When loaded in OziExplorerCE, the maps or aerial images will display with the same functionality of a normal GPS receiver (current position, tracks, waypoints, navigation, etc.). The software is a bit pricy for the fully-functioning PC and PDA versions, not to mention the cost of a GPS-enabled PDA is more than the average hiker would dish out.
post #18 of (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
Off the Beaten Path

Thank you everyone for taking the trouble to offer suggestions. Unfortunately, I am no closer to a decision as there are so many different opinions. Maybe I just toss a coin or I'll continue to print out my maps as I have been doing and use the GPS as a somewhat expensive trip odometer. []
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 04:46 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

I am pondering the same question, but have not yet bought one of these GPS. Still try to figure out which GPS is the reliable one can depend upon.

K
post #20 of (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 05:00 PM
Summit Master

It really depends what you want the maps for. For trip planning, printing and using maps to navigate the (now)old fashioned way by orienting yourself to the terrain, using compass bearings, etc. raster maps (like Fugawi, TopoTracker, etc.) are better. Vector maps do not print out well and you can't get UTM grid lines on them. If you primarily want to use the maps on your GPS you could just continue to use Mapsource which is a quasi-vector package.

Which ever package you choose, unless you get something like the Map It First products (which are only available for select areas) you won't get much in the way of trails on either type of mapping package.

If you don't know the difference between raster maps and vector maps, now would be the time to read up on it.
post #21 of (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 05:26 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Another option is backroadmapbooks.com now offers a topo map as well.
http://www.backroadmapbooks.com/shop...8qpe467i1foga3

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by greyowl

Thank you everyone for taking the trouble to offer suggestions. Unfortunately, I am no closer to a decision as there are so many different opinions. Maybe I just toss a coin or I'll continue to print out my maps as I have been doing and use the GPS as a somewhat expensive trip odometer. []

As pdops said Ibycus is free unless you want him to mail you a physical cd,dvd.
I have used it in my 60CSX and it works great, only advantage garmin's topo is the new version has some 3d shading etc. Which looked nice on another 60csx someone was using. Plus the garmin topt has more data for POI points of interest in regards to stores, roads etc. But personally I just want topo not POI

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by pdops

Just to clarify the Ibycus maps are available for free download via BitTorrent. There is a fee if you want to buy them on DVD as explained on the site (link)
Quote:
quote:Unfortunately, due to problems with hosting popular 3+GB files for download, I am no longer able to make the files available via direct download. They are available via BitTorrent (see YouTube videos) or you can contact me to purchase a DVD ($25)
Regarding turn-by-turn street directions the Ibycus maps will not, TopoCanadaV2 will to waypoints and TopoCanadaV4 will to addresses.

post #22 of (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
Off the Beaten Path

Thank you for the additional comments. I'm happy to see, camshaft, that you've also got the 60CSx and use Ibycus maps with it but that the new Garmin Topo Maps (with 3D shading) looked good on someone else's 60CSx. I actually like the sample provided on Garmin's website. Buying the Garmin Canada Topo DVD is $150 from Garmin and around $100 from Amazon or other retailers in the US. While I'm probably leaning towards Garmin right now, I don't need Points of Interests. I have a Garmin Nuvi for when I'm driving. I'm going to use the 60CSx strictly for hiking.

I also took a good look at the Backroads GPS maps and I really liked them because they show a lot of detail and numerous trails. Just when I was ready to order, sandy wrote "given the well known and extensive inaccuracies in the Backroads series" ... and I'm back to square one.

DWK Fraser's advice to not rely on the GPS alone and to always carry paper copies of maps is very poignant. A recent TR (Lynn Lake) dealt with the dangers of encountering a dead zone.

Whatever maps I decide to get for my GPS are certain to be trumped by better ones!
post #23 of (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 10:33 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Mountain biking, hiking, nature photography, astronomy, music...

My 2 cents - I've been using the 60CSx with the Garmin topo (CD set) for about three years and have not had any regrets about either purchase whatsoever. A note about the aforementioned innaccuracies of the backroads maps - all large mapping publications are bound to a have a few, and I've yet to encounter a product that lacks at least a few errors. You learn to deal with them, and most are inconsequential.
post #24 of (permalink) Old 04-07-2010, 08:09 AM
Banned

I can't remember any innaccuracies with Backroad maps, at least nothing significant. With Garmin maps it told me to turn onto inexisting roads God knows how many times. I'll take Backroad's word any day over what Garmin map data says. If I had a choice to have Backroad maps or Garmin maps in my GPS, I would definitely go for Backroad maps.
post #25 of (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 05:51 AM
Summit Master

I really can't see why anyone would buy Backroads "topo" maps. The contour interval is 100 metres, good luck doing any serious route planning or navigation with that contour interval. The inaccuracies in the Backroads series include trails and roads that do not exist and have never existed, bridges pulled, bizarre routes marked, campgrounds where no campgrounds are to be found, etc., etc.

I suspect that if your travels confine you to popular areas you will discover less of these problems, but anyone that wanders extensively through the BC backcountry will soon form their own opinion of the Backroads series.

post #26 of (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 11:51 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Thanks for the info Sandy

Backroads website has very little info about the actual topo info. As well I had to email them about how you would use the product with mapsource.

But if the contour interval is only 100m then that seals the deal. On that topic what is Garmins and Ibycus contour intervals ?

thanks

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sandy

I really can't see why anyone would buy Backroads "topo" maps. The contour interval is 100 metres, good luck doing any serious route planning or navigation with that contour interval. The inaccuracies in the Backroads series include trails and roads that do not exist and have never existed, bridges pulled, bizarre routes marked, campgrounds where no campgrounds are to be found, etc., etc.

I suspect that if your travels confine you to popular areas you will discover less of these problems, but anyone that wanders extensively through the BC backcountry will soon form their own opinion of the Backroads series.

post #27 of (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 04:36 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Actually I had the Garmin BC TOPO map from a torrent but it required that you install it on the SD card. And then you couldn't install it or see it in mapsource etc.

But wanted to thank keadyn as I downloaded the Garmin V4 canada topo and it works great. Had some issue where you have to rename the file name from .toast to .iso. But after that it loaded with winimage and installed no problem. Works geat with mapsource and basecamp and I can switch between the Garmin topo and Ibycus .

Thanks keadyn

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by keadyn

Free Garmnin topo
http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/4929...Topo_Canada_v4

Ibycus
http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/5256349/Ibycus_Topo_3.0

But really for the $20, I would donate to Ibycus. As for stealing from garmin well I guess thats up to you (pretty much the same maps as Ibycus as they use pretty much the same source).
post #28 of (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 06:53 PM
Summit Master

Wow, what confusion. All these packages are based on, and in some cases, simply are NTS 1:50,000 data, so the contour interval is either 100 feet or 40 metres.

The only way currently to get 1:20,000 data with a 20 metre contour interval is to use BC Basemap.
post #29 of (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 07:16 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sandy

Wow, what confusion. All these packages are based on, and in some cases, simply are NTS 1:50,000 data, so the contour interval is either 100 feet or 40 metres.

The only way currently to get 1:20,000 data with a 20 metre contour interval is to use BC Basemap.
Or stick to the North Shore and the Capilano Watershed. 92 G/6 5th ed has 20m contour intervals, from data gathered in 1984-1986. (Published in 1989, but still NAD 27 for some reason.)
post #30 of (permalink) Old 04-09-2010, 09:41 AM Thread Starter
Off the Beaten Path

Well, I ended up choosing the Garmin Topo Canada v4 DVD, $100 from GPS Central in Calgary. Based on the comments of those who use it, I'm sure I won't be disappointed. There are still several other options which I might consider at a later time.

Thanks again for your input!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page