Enter co-ordinates into Garmin etrex Legend H ? - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2009, 10:54 AM Thread Starter

Default Enter co-ordinates into Garmin etrex Legend H ?

I've used topo maps, compass and been doing orienteering since I was in Cubs...45 years ago. Time to enter the 21st century.

I purchased a Garmin etrex Legend H. It was great this last week as I hiked around the badlands in the Lost River area....I marked sites where I found fossils... and found my way back to the Jeep in a relative bee-line after several hours of meandering.

....but I now want to enter in co-ordinates I've recorded from geology outings over the decades. I thought this would be simple but can't figure it out.

Any help appreciated as to how to enter co-ordinates into my Garmin etrex Legend H. for example I want to add this site:

49degrees 52'N, 114degrees 22'W

I go to 'Mark Waypoint' but then what? There aren't any specific instructions in the manual. There is mention of a keypad but where is it and what do I do with it? there is also mention of going to a map..what map?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2009, 12:04 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Mountaineering, Backcountry Skiing, Hiking, Rock Climbing, Photography

Mark a waypoint. When you have the opportunity to rename the waypoint with the keypad, go and edit the coordinates as well as the name.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2009, 01:23 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: fishing, downhill/x-country skiing,hiking/backpacking, canoeing, snowshoing

Did you purchase the Garmin "Mapsource"maps with your gps?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2009, 02:21 PM

If you get the trip and waypoint manager from Garmin (it may come with it?) you can enter waypoints manually on your computer then transfer them to your gps.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2009, 04:10 PM
Hittin' the Trails

I have an HCX, so not sure if it will be exactly the same but I am sure it is similar.

1. Click mark waypoint.
2. Once the menu comes up with the name, date, location etc. You should be able to move your cursor to any of them and click on which ever one you want to change.
3. Once you click on the location field a pop up will appear with numbers and arrows, scroll around and enter the location you want then press the OK button.

It is much quicker to do it on your computer but either way works. There are a couple of free programs on the internet for doing it if your GPS did not come with any software.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2009, 06:19 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the good advice.

I 'think' now I know what the issue was. I had to have a satelite connection to manually enter co-ordinates. I thought a connection would be irrelevent...but I also needed a connection to delete existing waypoints in the GPS. Certain features were only clickable with a connection. Once I had a connection the 'OK' button actually was okay.

I'll probably get around to entering co-ordinates via software. I still like using topo maps and air photos and am using the GPS mostly as a 'go to' and 'get home' compass.

I'm off to the Lost River area of SE Alberta tomorrow. Miles and miles of badlands to re-explore and to newly explore. Must find more of these: (seeing if I can post a photo: upload and insert mean....? Giving it a try. Fingers crossed

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page