gps suggestions - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-18-2009, 12:09 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Default gps suggestions

I'm in the market to purchase a portible gps and want to make sure I get something that works well.

my needs would be one with a high sensitivity receiver so it works under tree cover. Which makes me ask the more channels the reciever has means its better ??

Then adding topo maps into it would be a must...

Price range 200-350 I would rather spend a couple extra dollars and get something that works well.

I have searched and read and now my head hurts..
this was ok but 2008
https://www.clubtread.com/sforum/topi...TOPIC_ID=27064

thanks for your help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-18-2009, 01:02 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Spending time with my man and family, relaxing with good friends and good food, hiking, paddling,

My hubby recently picked up the Garmin GPSmap 76CSx on the advice of a friend. Seems to have everything you're looking for. It's waterproof and it floats (important if you paddle) unlike the 60CSx. Best deal was at GPS Central were it is on sale: http://www.gpscentral.ca/products/garmin/76csx.htm

Cheers!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-18-2009, 01:05 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Skiing,Mountain Biking, Surfing, Hiking, Climbing

60CSX is still the standard to which every other unit is compared to. In my opinion still the best unit as far as accuracy a durability goes. $389 so a little higher then what you were looking for but you won't be disappointed.
I have friends with the Oregon's and Colorado's and they are not as accurate as my 60CSX.

If you don't need colour screen or ability to load micro SD cards you can get a basic 60 for $289.95
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-18-2009, 01:40 PM
Summit Master

Location: Finally stopping that crazy suffering that is ice, climbing to concentrate on great ski tours!, .
Interest: Anything that can drag me to the mountains. Backpacking is #1, followed by climbing, dayhiking and camping with family.

I've been fortunate to be able to take a bunch of units out for demo on trips lately, and I think that while the touch screen of the Oregon is pretty cool (and works with mitts and gloves, btw) I wouldn't shell out the money for it. If you're looking for a navigational tool with the best reception, I agree about the 60-series Garmin units. The combination of the helical antenna and latest chip-set is great.

The one I like the least is the Colorado.

Yes, more channels generally means better reception. The newest EPIRP/PLB units are now using 42 and 50 channel GPS receivers and they can get a fix shockingly fast.

As for topo maps displayed on the screen, that's a nice feature, but I always carry a paper map and compass too. The paper map allows you to see a much great area at once for route finding, and the map/compass set-up works when the batteries are dead or something else fails.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-18-2009, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Thanks for the great info guys!!!

I was just doing some quick browsing of the Garmin units being everyone says good things.
And the 60cx series of units came up... and the 76 series being water proof.

Again thanks for the info

MEC had 60 something that was 360.00..

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Blucruisin

My hubby recently picked up the Garmin GPSmap 76CSx on the advice of a friend. Seems to have everything you're looking for. It's waterproof and it floats (important if you paddle) unlike the 60CSx. Best deal was at GPS Central were it is on sale: http://www.gpscentral.ca/products/garmin/76csx.htm

Cheers!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-18-2009, 02:44 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

thanks for the url not a bad price at all and CND price
Garmin GPSMAP 76CSx In stock 010-00469-00 $309.95

compaired to 226.00 USD not sure what shipping and other costs involved.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Blucruisin

Cheers!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-18-2009, 03:00 PM
Off the Beaten Path

They are all waterproof IPX7 submersible.

The 76 series floats and has a different button configuration as well as a better anti-reflective coating for direct sunlight definetly the wat to go for a paddler.

MEC carries the 60Cx which is the 60CSX without the magnetic compass or barometric altimetre.

Here's a comparison.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/compare....areProduct=351
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-18-2009, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

did a quick google search
Our Price: $289.95 CAD
http://www.gpscity.ca/garmin-gpsmap-76csx.html

Is it worth the extra money for the ELECTRONIC COMPASS BAROMETRIC ALTIMETER GLIDE RATIO
?

From what you guys where saying the 76 series seems like it would be more expensive as its water proof and floats ?.
But from http://www.gpscentral.ca the 60 series is more money ? possibly they sell more 76series ?

thanks

Garmin GPSMAP 76Cx 010-00468-00 $229.95

Garmin GPSMAP 76CSx 010-00469-00 $309.95

Garmin GPSMAP 60Cx 010-00421-00 $332.95
Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx 010-00422-00 $389.95
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-18-2009, 03:40 PM
Off the Beaten Path

The button set-up and the size of the 60 is alot nicer then the 76.

I have a feeling the 76 is going to be replaced it seems to be on sale everywhere. I will find out for sure next Monday at the trade show. Those are some good prices though !

The electronic compass and barometric altimetre are nice but not necessary. You will or should have a compass with you as back-up any way.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-18-2009, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

I agree with you on the buttons...
You would think its annoying to have the buttons on the top and the screen on the bottom. Unless it has a flip screen option or something.. but then your buttons are upside down.

Does anyone know of a local store that would have on in stock ? to see it in person ?

But at 290.00 compaired to 390 I think you could live with the annoying buttons.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Mike Valhalla

The button set-up and the size of the 60 is alot nicer then the 76.

I have a feeling the 76 is going to be replaced it seems to be on sale everywhere. I will find out for sure next Monday at the trade show. Those are some good prices though !

The electronic compass and barometric altimetre are nice but not necessary. You will or should have a compass with you as back-up any way.
post #11 of (permalink) Old 07-18-2009, 05:41 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Spending time with my man and family, relaxing with good friends and good food, hiking, paddling,

Not annoying at all where the buttons on the 76CSx are. Perhaps it would be if you were used to the other way but B and I are first time GPS owners so we had no previous preference.

Here's the difference on the 76CSx to the 60CSx:
Garmin GPSMAP 76CSx FAQ:
Q: "What are the main differences between the GPSMAP 76CSx and the GPSMAP 60CSx?"
A: "Included data card (the 76CSx includes a 128MB microSD data card, the 60CSx includes a 64MB card); physical size, weight and shape; floatability (the 76CSx will float; the 60CSx will not)."

Oh, and the size of the 76CSx to the 60CSx is almost the same.

Cheers!
post #12 of (permalink) Old 07-18-2009, 05:44 PM
Summit Master

The 70CSx is designed for marine use, while the 60CSx is designed for hiking. The base maps are different as well.

Plus, with the 70 your hand will hide part of the map when you use the buttons due their placement (ie/ while panning the map). That was a major deal breaker for me.

The 60 also is a bit more ruggedized - it will probably sustain less damage if dropped on land. That said, drop it in the water and you're going SCUBA to get it... The "larger" 128MB MicroSD card is worth less than $2, so don't use that as the deciding factor.
post #13 of (permalink) Old 07-18-2009, 06:14 PM
Summit Master

Interest: I enjoy hiking

FWIW I have a Garmin Vista HCx and find it suits my needs for hiking. It's lighter and cheaper than the 60csx and still has a barometer/altimeter and a micro SD card. I also have a GPSMAP 76S and still use it for canoeing. I really prefer the button placement and the menus of the 76S over that of the Vista HCx.

For free topo maps, go to the bay of pirates and search for "Ibycus".

post #14 of (permalink) Old 07-21-2009, 12:15 AM
Summit Master

Interest: Backpacking, scrambling, skiing, mountain biking, skim boarding, running

Garmin HCx offers good sensitivity in a very compact package:

https://www.clubtread.com/Gear/produc...tversionid=806
post #15 of (permalink) Old 07-21-2009, 07:19 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Garmin is the way to go, save yourself time and don't bother with other brands. There are excellent topo maps of all of Canada and they have really good sets of U.S. topo maps too, one for the whole country and one with more detail for national parks. These maps are also easy to find and download online -- but I would never pirating software!

In Calgary we have GPS Central and GPS City which generally have the best prices.

I own the Garmin 60CS and have thought about upgrading to the Colorado, but after comparing them, the 60 has way better battery life. If I were buying a unit right now, I'd probably look at getting a second hand 60Cx, the digital compass & barometric altimeter is redundant.

Unless you're planning to use it kayaking or some other sport where it's likely that it'll get submerged, don't bother with the 76, the 60 is pretty water resistant, I've had it buried in snow many times.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page