gps suggestions - Page 2 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of (permalink) Old 07-21-2009, 12:51 PM
Headed for the Mountains

I think this may have been posted before but GPSFileDepot is a great source of free topos for Canada and the US. You won't be able to get all of Canada and the US on a 60CSx, but should be able to load a good selection of the states/provinces where you're most likely to be hiking.

http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of (permalink) Old 07-21-2009, 01:07 PM
Banned

I've being using Garmin GPSmap 60CSx for over 3 years and love it. It's very durable (and waterproof) - built like a tank. I once crashed on a bike with it in my back pack, landing on my back pretty hard, right where the GPS was, and it came out perfectly fine. It's actually very important when you think about what kind of stuff it will have to go through for you.

The compass feature is extremely valuable and helpful. When you're standing still and looking on the GPS map, the arrow (your location) is usually pointed to any direction, not necessary the direction you're point your GPS. With compass turned on, you can stand still, and it will point to the direction you point your GPS, which means it is a heck of a lot easier to figure out where to go (on the map), and is also nice to look around for some mountain terrain and peaks on GPS (that you see around you in real life). If you ever get lost, trust me, that compass will be a life saver. You could bring a hand compass, but that wouldn't rotate your GPS map to align it straight ahead with you.

Reception is great. Once you're on, you're on. I only lost reception once in the forest, and was very surprised actually. It only lasted for probably less than a minute, so not that big of a deal. It could take some time to find a reception when you turn it on though...and sometimes you have to turn it off and turn it back on, because it's having difficulty finding a reception.

One con is that the processor is pretty darn slow, making you wait some time when you scroll the map or trying to find some points of interest, or even browse menus/pages, etc. Overall I don't think you can go wrong with this model.
post #18 of (permalink) Old 07-31-2009, 12:59 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking, exploring, reading, random shiny things

Quote:
quote:Mike Valhalla Posted - 07/18/2009 : 1:05 PM
60CSX is still the standard to which every other unit is compared to. In my opinion still the best unit as far as accuracy a durability goes. $389 so a little higher then what you were looking for but you won't be disappointed.
I have friends with the Oregon's and Colorado's and they are not as accurate as my 60CSX.
I love my Garmin 60CSx, however...
Recently, the power button has started causing problems. I can no longer turn it on or off easily. I require a tool (screwdriver or something) in order to depress the button deep enough to make the connection.

Otherwise, this GPS is very good. Accurate, good reception, easy to use.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of (permalink) Old 08-01-2009, 12:42 AM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Thanks for all the comments guys..
I managed to pick up a 60csx..

Comes with the stupid base map.. how do you install a topo map ?
I purchased a 2G SD card I managed to find a gmapsupp.img map... Copied it to the SC card and installed the sd card into the 60csx but does it just automaticly see the map ?

thanks
post #20 of (permalink) Old 08-01-2009, 12:51 AM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

I saw that its huge 2G or something.

Possibly my problem is I have to have a folder on the SD card ? Garmin folder >?

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by martin

FWIW I have a Garmin Vista HCx and find it suits my needs for hiking. It's lighter and cheaper than the 60csx and still has a barometer/altimeter and a micro SD card. I also have a GPSMAP 76S and still use it for canoeing. I really prefer the button placement and the menus of the 76S over that of the Vista HCx.

For free topo maps, go to the bay of pirates and search for "Ibycus".

post #21 of (permalink) Old 08-01-2009, 12:58 AM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

I found this Garmin Canada Topo v4 - BC 750M size wise..
Problem was.. I needed a folder called Garmin on my SD card..

post #22 of (permalink) Old 08-01-2009, 10:22 AM
Banned

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by camshaft
Comes with the stupid base map.. how do you install a topo map ?
Normally, you'd copy maps through MapSource - it will do everything automatically for you.
post #23 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2009, 08:13 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Saving the world.

I know you've already bought your GPS but I'd just throw in my comments for future viewers...

I've had a 76CSx for probably 4 years now. It's amazingly sensitive. I'll occasionally have trouble acquiring satellites when turning the GPS on in dense tree cover, but I don't remember losing the signal entirely if I have the GPS on before going into the dense stuff.

My 76CSx also fell off my car at about 50-60 km/h and survived. Scratched up nicely, but works just fine.

As for the 60CSx, I used one just recently and noticed two things.

1) The 60CSx is definitely faster than my 76CSx. But my 76CSX is 4 years old so it could have been upgraded and is now just as fast as the newer 60CSx I used.

2) The 60CSx lost the satellite connection while driving - that's never happened with my 76CSx, ever!

That is all.
post #24 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2009, 12:41 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Thanks eco_matt

I did have some issues with my 60csx on my kayak trip... Set a route with no problems but while heading towards that point via line of sight. The cursor is pointed off to the left if the unit is held flat it actually gets worse and points almost 90 degrees to the left. If held vertical it is maybe only 25 degrees off.
I was on the water with 5-6 sat reception at 90% or more..

Not sure if my map is off or some setting that can be adjusted ... no idea..

thanks
post #25 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2009, 06:40 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Outward bound author of the Seinfeld thread who builds his own snowshoes

camshaft, the reason that it does that is because a GPS just tells where it thinks you are, to a fairly good accuracy all things considered, at that exact point in time. because with 5-6 sats, you probably have at best [u]+</u>10m accuracy, it can "think" that you are jumping left and right by a couple meters every time it takes a reading (usually once a second), so that pointer only shows the difference between the current reading and the last one. they are rarely accurate, and aren't ment to work as a compass. its better to take a bearing on the GPS and then use your compass to find what direction you should go, or look at either hte trend of your track on the map, or how the bearing is changing, to figure our which way to go.

I'm really happy with the 60CSX's that we have at work.
post #26 of (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 10:17 AM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Well I can understand that but my issue was on a steady straight course towards a fixed point on a lake. It was saying I was pointed 20-25 degrees to the left. Just seems odd
Being on a lake I'm not going to get any better sat reception then that.

Playing with it yesterday a bit.. while driving on roads it seems to snap onto roads. Showing the pointer going straight on the road that I'm traveling on. But when I'm not on a straight forward road it seems to be pointed off to one side .

Strange.. I did do the compass calibration not sure if that would do anything..

thanks for the help

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Farmer

camshaft, the reason that it does that is because a GPS just tells where it thinks you are, to a fairly good accuracy all things considered, at that exact point in time. because with 5-6 sats, you probably have at best [u]+</u>10m accuracy, it can "think" that you are jumping left and right by a couple meters every time it takes a reading (usually once a second), so that pointer only shows the difference between the current reading and the last one. they are rarely accurate, and aren't ment to work as a compass. its better to take a bearing on the GPS and then use your compass to find what direction you should go, or look at either hte trend of your track on the map, or how the bearing is changing, to figure our which way to go.

I'm really happy with the 60CSX's that we have at work.
post #27 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2009, 05:41 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Saving the world.

I wouldn't expect the GPS to ever point in the right direction - either while tracking a route or using the compass. The compass in my 76CSx is essentially unusable. What farmer said is correct.

There is an option in the maps menu for the GPS to "snap to roads." I turned the feature off because the GPS is usually accurate enough to put you on the right road. Plus, I've been hiking and crossed roads, then walked parallel to the road. The GPS recorded my track as walking along the road until I was far from the road. Then it realized I wasn't really on the road, and did a B-line to my location.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page